Other matches - 19th - 21st January 2024

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Other matches - 19th - 21st January 2024

Post by Tiglon »

Grumpy of Crumbie wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:40 am As I’ve posted on another thread I’m in the disillusioned camp for this once great tournament. Like others I never understood the format before the ridiculous situation with a repeat of so many fixtures in the knock out stages. Is there really such a need to provide the top sides with such an advantage right through to the final? How is this supposed to incentivise supporters and attract more fans to games?

What happened to the good old groups of four providing three homes games and much needed revenue?

If 24 teams need a place and a round of 16 then 6 groups of 4, top 2 and 4 best third place finishes. No problem with group winners and 2 best runners up getting home advantage keeps the groups interesting to the end, but why not go to a free draw for the quarter finals onwards? Provides another level of interest and the potential for a more open competition.

If 6 group games and a round of 16 are too much to fit in to the fixture schedule then bin the round of 16. Top 6 and 2 best runners up would make for competitive groups. Wait a minute isn’t that how it used to be?

As it stands it’s a shambles.
Now if we could find space for home and away quarters and semis as well...

Tigers would still get dumped out by Leinster every single season, but at least it would make sense...
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:18 pm Just got home from the Bath match in a sold out Stade Ernest Wallon. An excellent game and Bath oh so nearly had the nerve to snatch from Toulouse and I think they deserved the losing bp which may have given them a home match in the next round.

Jack Willis not being available for England is a travesty as he was enormous this afternoon. I also heard that he's signed a one-year extension to his contract. Evidently. la vie est belle for him in Toulouse!
The little green god sits on my shoulder.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

fentiger wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:46 pm
Bristol Tiger wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:20 pm Given Exeter are getting thumped, looks like the round of 16 will be:

Toulouse v Racing 92 ®
Leinster v Leicester ®
Northampton v Munster ®
Bordeaux Bègles v Saracens ®

Harlequins v Glasgow
Bulls v Lyon ®
Stormers v La Rochelle ®
Exeter v Bath

All those marked ® are repeats of match ups in the group games …. I think it needs a radical rethink for next season.
The only person I've heard say this format is good is..... yes, you've guessed correctly, Austin Healey! There again he gets paid to say that :smt044
The merkinhead from Birkenhead would say that!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
MrG2

Post by MrG2 »

Big Dai wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:47 am
fentiger wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:46 pm
Bristol Tiger wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:20 pm Given Exeter are getting thumped, looks like the round of 16 will be:

Toulouse v Racing 92 ®
Leinster v Leicester ®
Northampton v Munster ®
Bordeaux Bègles v Saracens ®

Harlequins v Glasgow
Bulls v Lyon ®
Stormers v La Rochelle ®
Exeter v Bath

All those marked ® are repeats of match ups in the group games …. I think it needs a radical rethink for next season.
The only person I've heard say this format is good is..... yes, you've guessed correctly, Austin Healey! There again he gets paid to say that :smt044
The merkinhead from Birkenhead would say that!
:smt005
MrG2

Post by MrG2 »

It takes a special kind of administrator to move a competition that was rated by many as the best club competition in the world to the farce we are currently experiencing.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Langdon banned for 4 weeks...

Place your bets now if he'll be sent out on loan to rack up " meaningful fixtures"
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:58 pm Langdon banned for 4 weeks...

Place your bets now if he'll be sent out on loan to rack up " meaningful fixtures"
I can’t remember what he did now but it was certainly no worse than the Bristol player

Edit knee to the face that’s a disgrace that one gets four weeks and the other nothing
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:31 pm
WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:30 pm
Nofrontteeth wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:19 pm

Who made up Pool 2 then?
https://www.epcrugby.com/champions-cup/ ... ool-tables

They were both in pool 2 but, same as we did not play Sale in our pool stage, they didn't play each other

https://www.epcrugby.com/champions-cup/matches

This link meant to filter to Racing fixtures but it defaults to all...use the filter by team option
Thanks for explanation, I stand corrected.
Just shows you what I know about this devalued comp.
You and me both mate
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.