Other matches - 19th - 21st January 2024

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Other matches - 19th - 21st January 2024

Post by fentiger »

Bristol Tiger wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:20 pm Given Exeter are getting thumped, looks like the round of 16 will be:

Toulouse v Racing 92 ®
Leinster v Leicester ®
Northampton v Munster ®
Bordeaux Bègles v Saracens ®

Harlequins v Glasgow
Bulls v Lyon ®
Stormers v La Rochelle ®
Exeter v Bath

All those marked ® are repeats of match ups in the group games …. I think it needs a radical rethink for next season.
The only person I've heard say this format is good is..... yes, you've guessed correctly, Austin Healey! There again he gets paid to say that :smt044
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Toulouse didn't play Racing in the pool stages, but I agree the format needs a rethink.

With 24 teams it really shouldn't need to be this complicated.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Just got home from the Bath match in a sold out Stade Ernest Wallon. An excellent game and Bath oh so nearly had the nerve to snatch from Toulouse and I think they deserved the losing bp which may have given them a home match in the next round.

Jack Willis not being available for England is a travesty as he was enormous this afternoon. I also heard that he's signed a one-year extension to his contract. Evidently. la vie est belle for him in Toulouse!
Semper in excretia
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:18 pm Just got home from the Bath match in a sold out Stade Ernest Wallon. An excellent game and Bath oh so nearly had the nerve to snatch from Toulouse and I think they deserved the losing bp which may have given them a home match in the next round.

Jack Willis not being available for England is a travesty as he was enormous this afternoon. I also heard that he's signed a one-year extension to his contract. Evidently. la vie est belle for him in Toulouse!
Willis was excellent. I suspect if it wasn't for Wasps going under he would still be in the Premiership.

He said in an interview that no Premiership club made him an offer when he lost his job... but maybe they knew they couldn't match the French euros.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:27 pm
Robespierre wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:18 pm Just got home from the Bath match in a sold out Stade Ernest Wallon. An excellent game and Bath oh so nearly had the nerve to snatch from Toulouse and I think they deserved the losing bp which may have given them a home match in the next round.

Willis was excellent. I suspect if it wasn't for Wasps going under he would still be in the Premiership.

He said in an interview that no Premiership club made him an offer when he lost his job... but maybe they knew they couldn't match the French euros.
It can be the only explanation.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:53 pm Toulouse didn't play Racing in the pool stages, but I agree the format needs a rethink.

Who made up Pool 2 then?
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:19 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:53 pm Toulouse didn't play Racing in the pool stages, but I agree the format needs a rethink.

Who made up Pool 2 then?
https://www.epcrugby.com/champions-cup/ ... ool-tables

They were both in pool 2 but, same as we did not play Sale in our pool stage, they didn't play each other

https://www.epcrugby.com/champions-cup/matches
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Who made up Pool 2 then?

They were both in pool 2 but, same as we did not play Sale in our pool stage, they didn't play each other

This link meant to filter to Racing fixtures but it defaults to all...use the filter by team option
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

If Leinster and La Rochelle both win do Leinster get the tie at home because they are higher seeds or do La Rochelle get it because they wouldve won away from home?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:36 pm If Leinster and La Rochelle both win do Leinster get the tie at home because they are higher seeds or do La Rochelle get it because they wouldve won away from home?
Think it goes on seeding, but not 100%

Edit: Quarter-finals

2.7 The quarter-finals will be played over one match and the highest-ranked clubs from the pool stage will have home venue advantage as follows:

QF 1: Winner R16 1 v Winner R16 8
QF 2: Winner R16 2 v Winner R16 7
QF 3: Winner R16 3 v Winner R16 6
QF 4: Winner R16 4 v Winner R16 5

https://www.epcrugby.com/champions-cup/rules
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/rugbyontnt/status/1 ... 9RxXA&s=19

Full draw

Utterly crazy that all 4 teams from our pool are in the same ¼ of the draw of only one of the group of death can make the semifinal...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:53 pm https://twitter.com/rugbyontnt/status/1 ... 9RxXA&s=19

Full draw

Utterly crazy that all 4 teams from our pool are in the same ¼ of the draw of only one of the group of death can make the semifinal...
Madness!

Playing both of the finalists from the last two years in the pool stages... and then having to play them both again to get to the semi final.

I'm not sure it could possibly be any harder than that.
Yorkietiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkietiger »

So, thanks to the utter numpties that designed this farce of a competition, in our section of the draw we have Ireland er…… sorry I mean Leinster, La Rochelle, Leicester and Stormers.

Wasn’t that more or less the group we were just in! You could not make this stuff up - the game is being run by idiots. :smt013
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:30 pm

Who made up Pool 2 then?

This link meant to filter to Racing fixtures but it defaults to all...use the filter by team option
Thanks for explanation, I stand corrected.
Just shows you what I know about this devalued comp.
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

As I’ve posted on another thread I’m in the disillusioned camp for this once great tournament. Like others I never understood the format before the ridiculous situation with a repeat of so many fixtures in the knock out stages. Is there really such a need to provide the top sides with such an advantage right through to the final? How is this supposed to incentivise supporters and attract more fans to games?

What happened to the good old groups of four providing three homes games and much needed revenue?

If 24 teams need a place and a round of 16 then 6 groups of 4, top 2 and 4 best third place finishes. No problem with group winners and 2 best runners up getting home advantage keeps the groups interesting to the end, but why not go to a free draw for the quarter finals onwards? Provides another level of interest and the potential for a more open competition.

If 6 group games and a round of 16 are too much to fit in to the fixture schedule then bin the round of 16. Top 6 and 2 best runners up would make for competitive groups. Wait a minute isn’t that how it used to be?

As it stands it’s a shambles.
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.