Leicester Tigers Women 2023/24 - Vicky Macqueen in 'The Magnificent Fifteen'

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers Women 2023/24 - Vicky Macqueen in 'The Magnificent Fifteen'

Post by Darc Tiger »

Double header fixture against Quins, following the men's game tomorrow! Looks like the weather will be a darn sight better than it was for the last double header, so please do stick around if you're able!

Quins have struggled for form this season, but still boast the likes of Ellie Kildunne, Shaunagh Brown and Lucy Packer.

Similar team to the Sarries match, with Sagapolu on the flank rather than tighthead, and 3 ball players at 10-12-13. We've shown we can do damage and stay with teams in stages, but we must start improving defensively. 6-2 split.

STARTING XV
15 Amanda Swartz [7]
14 Tess Feury [5]
13 Sarah Nicholas [3]
12 Meg Jones [5]
11 Francesca McGhie [5]
10 Natasha Jones (c) [25]
9 Lucy Nye [15]
1 Leah Bartlett [5]
2 Elis Martin [5]
3 Ofure Ugiagbe [24]
4 Eva Donaldson [5]
5 Becky Noon [24]
6 Keia Mae Sagapolu Sanele [5]
7 Morgan Richardson [25]
8 Tahlia Brody [4]

REPLACEMENTS
16 Alana Bainbridge [9]
17 Churchy Knight [24]
18 Lisa Cockburn [4]
19 Catha Jacobs [3]
20 Charlotte Fray [11]
21 Zoe Warrington [18]
22 Amy Relf [24]
23 Caz Collie [8]
LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers Women 2023/24 - Vicky Macqueen in 'The Magnificent Fifteen'

Post by LE18 »

I still say they have got to move Meg Jones to FH if they want to be creative.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

How did Ladies get on please?
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

24-33, with a TBP.

They had pulled things back to 24-26 and were fighting for the win, but couldn't quite engineer the field position to sneak it. Good game, though. Got to be our best overall performance of the season, with the possible exception of the opener with Exeter, but they've definitely progressed in many areas since then. Its another game where we've won the 2nd half, too.

Still lots to work on. Physically, it looks like we're still a bit behind the curve. Still struggling to get bodies round the corner and properly reset our defence, giving these good teams too much time and space. Kick chase is also recurring problem. Part of it is fitness, I think, but also a bit of game awareness and communication. Defensive maul also still an issue, but we repaid them in kind with 2 excellent maul tries of our own.

And thank god for Meg Jones. Its kinda mad how far on another level she is. We'd genuinely be screwed without her, and that's my biggest worry. Lovely bit of individual skill to put herself under the posts, and a great crossfield kick to put McGhie in for a sharp finish. But this game confirmed to me that we have to stick with her at centre for now, purely for her workrate. She gets through so much work around the park, papering over our cracks so often, and I'm not sure she'd have the freedom to roam as much if she was at 10. When we're more established, and she doesn't have to take so much of the work on herself, then we can look to free her up to run the show in future.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

sounds like some progress is being made at least
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Darc Tiger wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:12 pm 24-33, with a TBP.

They had pulled things back to 24-26 and were fighting for the win, but couldn't quite engineer the field position to sneak it. Good game, though. Got to be our best overall performance of the season, with the possible exception of the opener with Exeter, but they've definitely progressed in many areas since then. Its another game where we've won the 2nd half, too.

Still lots to work on. Physically, it looks like we're still a bit behind the curve. Still struggling to get bodies round the corner and properly reset our defence, giving these good teams too much time and space. Kick chase is also recurring problem. Part of it is fitness, I think, but also a bit of game awareness and communication. Defensive maul also still an issue, but we repaid them in kind with 2 excellent maul tries of our own.

And thank god for Meg Jones. Its kinda mad how far on another level she is. We'd genuinely be screwed without her, and that's my biggest worry. Lovely bit of individual skill to put herself under the posts, and a great crossfield kick to put McGhie in for a sharp finish. But this game confirmed to me that we have to stick with her at centre for now, purely for her workrate. She gets through so much work around the park, papering over our cracks so often, and I'm not sure she'd have the freedom to roam as much if she was at 10. When we're more established, and she doesn't have to take so much of the work on herself, then we can look to free her up to run the show in future.
I have only watched 1 game but spotted Meg Jones immediately that's why I keep promoting her, she is way ahead of others and Tigers must bite bullet and play her at FH, her attack, her kicking, length of which is a must and she must take the penalty kicks to touch to make huge distance, something that's very poor at moment, her goal kicking is great. Sorry but I dont know where the other Jones could be relocated but at moment Tigers need agression and creativity. etc.
Sorry my post is made on 1 past viewing, if things have moved on since then I am pleased, if not coaches please consider, i'm sure this season is a learning curve, come on Tigers I want to see you winning and i'm sure you can. :smt041 :smt041
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I'm with DT on this. At the moment I think persisting with Jones N at 10 and giving Jones M the freedom in the centres is still the way ahead for now. And get the ball to Fran McGhie. Game changing gas and almost undefendable if given enough room.
Lutontiger

Post by Lutontiger »

They’re making progress - and it’s their first season!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

New signing!

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/wt ... -gallagher

23 year old Claire Gallagher, a Canadian flyhalf, who broke into the Canada team last year.

I watched her play a few times last year, and she definitely looks a prospect. Canada play an exciting brand of rugby, and she slotted straight in to that.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Bristol Bears visit Welford Road tomorrow for a 1300 kickoff!

STARTING XV

15 Caz Collie [10]
14 Amelia Tutt [3]
13 Sarah Nicholas [4]
12 Meg Jones [6]
11 Francesca McGhie [6]
10 Natasha Jones (c) [26]
9 Amy Relf [25]
1 Leah Bartlett [6]
2 Elis Martin [6]
3 Lisa Cockburn [5]
4 Charlotte Fray [12]
5 Becky Noon [25]
6 Roisin McBrien [22]
7 Morgan Richardson [26]
8 Tahlia Brody [5]

REPLACEMENTS
16 Alana Bainbridge [9]
17 Churchy Knight [25]
18 Ofure Ugiagbe [24]
19 Tanya Bird [17]
20 Zoe Warrington [18]
21 Lucy Nye [16]
22 Claire Gallagher *
23 Zoë Evans [20]

A few changes, with Collie and Tutt coming back into the back 3, and Fray to start at lock. McBrien also rejoins her partner in crime, Richardson. I think she's been out with a wrist problem. New signing Claire Gallagher set for a debut off the bench.

Potentially some injury concerns with Sagapolu, Donaldson and Jacobs.

I fear we'll be a bit underweight against a big Bristol pack, who've named a strong side. They've been a bit inconsistent, but have the potential to overwhelm us. Hopefully the positive steps taken in the Quins games will continue.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Darc Tiger wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:12 pm New signing!

23 year old Claire Gallagher, a Canadian flyhalf, who broke into the Canada team last year.

I watched her play a few times last year, and she definitely looks a prospect. Canada play an exciting brand of rugby, and she slotted straight in to that.
Umm that could be a good signing in the position I think needs strengthening.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

LE18 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:27 pm
Darc Tiger wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:12 pm New signing!

Umm that could be a good signing in the position I think needs strengthening.
Definitely a position I've been hoping for a promising young gun.

Pretty stacked with playmaker options now, with both Jones', Nicholas, Gallagher and Evie Wills when she's fit to play.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Another Canadian signed up in back 5 forward Julia Omokhuale. Spotted a new face warming up last week, but didn't know who she was. Made her international debut with a late cameo against France in WXV. Looks like a bit of a Tom Croft type.

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/wt ... -omokhuale

Tough game against Bristol, but a familiar story against these strong teams. Always fought hard, typified by a brilliant trysaver chasing back from McGhie, and pressured them in spells, but ultimately outmuscled and overwhelmed 12-50. Not a bad option when you can bring Holly Aitchison off the bench either. I think had we not rested some of the players that we did, it would have been tighter. The setpiece fell apart when the subs came on. Elis Martin proving her worth with Cokayne still not ready. A few nice touches from Gallagher off the bench, including a nice wide conversion.

So on to Sale away, a late rescheduling to Chester RFC at 1600 Sunday. Certainly an opportunity to pick up that elusive first win if we turn up dialed in.

STARTING XV
15 Amanda Swartz [8]
14 Tess Feury [6]
13 Meg Jones [7]
12 Claire Gallagher [1]
11 Francesca McGhie [7]
10 Natasha Jones (c) [27]
9 Amy Relf [26]
1 Leah Bartlett [7]
2 Elis Martin [7]
3 Lisa Cockburn [6]
4 Eva Donaldson [6]
5 Becky Noon [26]
6 Keia Mae Sagapolu Sanele [6]
7 Morgan Richardson [27]
8 Tahlia Brody [6]

REPLACEMENTS
16 Alana Bainbridge [10]
17 Churchy Knight [26]
18 Catha Jacobs [3]
19 Charlotte Fray [13]
20 Julia Omokhuale *
21 Roisin McBrien [23]
22 Lucy Nye [17]
23 Sarah Nicholas [5]

Reverting to a very similar squad that pushed Quins all the way, but with Gallagher forming an enticing new centre pairing with Meg. Some good firepower to bring on in that 6-2 bench. I think we've got a real shot at this one, if we can be a bit more defensively sound for longer.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

A late try from Leah Bartlett gives us a 19-22 win! :smt041
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Darc Tiger wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:02 pm A late try from Leah Bartlett gives us a 19-22 win! :smt041
Wow, well done, do we have a report?