Tigers v Leinster (H) - Champions Cup - Saturday 20th January 2024 - KO: 3-15pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JohnB

Re: Tigers v Leinster (H) - Champions Cup - Saturday 20th January 2024 - KO: 3-15pm

Post by JohnB »

The European Rugby Cup tournament was set up for “representative teams” of the countries whose Rugby Unions created the tournament. It’s a misnomer that it was setup for clubs. As to finance, the fact is that most of the French team budgets appear to dwarf those of their competitors at European level. In the run up to last year’s Final media reports suggested that LAR’s budget was E31m and that there were six other French teams with higher budgets. So, financially it’s not a level playing field but it is what it is. If you suggested to Ugo Mola or Ronan O’Gara that their teams could only participate if they played in accordance with the Premiership’s salary cap, they would laugh hysterically.
Bptiger25

Re: Tigers v Leinster (H) - Champions Cup - Saturday 20th January 2024 - KO: 3-15pm

Post by Bptiger25 »

Find it hard to see why so many think we played well , yes we are playing against a stacked deck , but that game was there to taken . Here’s my take on it all .
Defence was great 1st 20 minutes then fell away.
Again our kicking in general play is woeful And pollard kicking for touch is the same.
Watched most of the other cup games this round and u can see the difference , the other British sides have 1/2s who run the ball and set up plays our side does very little in that area , it’s hit ups by the forwards then kick , u can’t win giving the ball back all the time . We have 3 gun wingers I know two didn’t play but we never use them , we could have two 90 year olds out there for all the work they get in attack. For me the coach has done nothing so far and the attack coach is missing in action .
Just how I seen the game .
Lutontiger

Post by Lutontiger »

We keep going on about needing an attack coach… but why can’t our head coach do his stuff in this area? Surely he must’ve learnt a few things on his way up??
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

Having reflected, my issue with the referee wasn't just that many decisions went against us (at least 12 points worth were straight in front of us) but that a) if he is a rookie then why wasn't he given more experienced support b) Leinster would have known his failings from the league and c) we didn't adapt enough

As many have said, against Leinster not taking some of the penalty kicks at goal made no sense.

Having Martin, JVP, Watson as well as Tommy for more of the game would definitely have helped. I really hope we play Ilione next week rather than a makeshift 7

It felt like if everything went for us we could have got a result. Unfortunately little did.
Bptiger25

Post by Bptiger25 »

If u no how bad Australian rugby has drop down too over the last couple of years , then u might get some idea about coaches from down under , not saying he can’t coach but his achievements have not been great
Wellscity
Tiger Cub

Post by Wellscity »

Our defensive work is right up there with the best of clubs.
Our decision making is below average.
Our attack is akin to hitting brick walls and so static.
We pride ourselves on Srum - Lineout and the Tigers DNA to give us a platform all Lacking at present.

I can see a big change in personnel at the end of the season if this downward spiral continues.
I don't think Andre is in a happy place at present. I believe Lemmy twice asked for kick at sticks and was over ruled.
Do we need an attack coach - new captain or a new way
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Be interesting to see what we do in the next round. If we somehow beat Quins then I would just send a B/C team to whererever daunting away trip we get drawn in Europe and just concentrate on the league. We lose to Quins and the season is as good as over so then I would send a gun team away in Europe and if we learn to catch the ball and stop making schoolboy decisions as well as getting a decent ref and our attack finally clicking we might,just might get through.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Smudge wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:44 am It's the same year on year and still we carry on. We can't compete with the French Clubs who can spend many times our capped salary or the Irish Provices who are massively funded directly by the IRFU. The addition of the SA Clubs will only queer the mix even further.
Today will have brought in another tidy sum, but Tigers management are well aware we don't have a prayer in this competition.
It is meant to be a Club tournament but Ireland, play as Provinces, despite having many clubs. ( I played against Cork Const and Dunganon in my playing days). Essentially, there is a very uneven playing field so what's the point of playing, if not for a few paydays? It is not only futile, it is dishonest.
I am sure we opted out some years ago to bring about an "evening up" but that never lasted. If all teams can't possibly beat all other teams, there is no point in playing. Form an alternative competition for Clubs and insist all are equal.
Worth asking- when was the last time an Irish team, apart from Leinster, reached the latter stages? I know it is a source of anger in Ireland how slanted their system is towards Leinster. Ulster and Munster are very similar to a lot of Prem Clubs.

French clubs live on another playing field.

All that being said, Tigers would be more competitive if they could attack. We can’t, hence, we cannot take our opportunities.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

No doubting the commitment yesterday but our red zone efficiency has to be much better to beat the best teams. Also think Reffell and Chessum going off was a big blow to our chances.
A2O
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

If La Rochelle beat Sale and Sale don't get two Bonus points we will be playing Leinster away.
Do we get a revenue share of that game because part of me is not sure I want that game would rather go into the challenge cup and see if we can win some silverware whilst focusing on the prem without the thought of playing Ireland again away
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Comments about Pollard remind me when a certain club legend ie: one G Murphy Esq, had a poor run of form some years ago. The hatchets were out for him at the time, gladly he proved them wrong!
As a previous poster said, form is temporary class is permanent!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

JohnB wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:15 am The European Rugby Cup tournament was set up for “representative teams” of the countries whose Rugby Unions created the tournament. It’s a misnomer that it was setup for clubs. As to finance, the fact is that most of the French team budgets appear to dwarf those of their competitors at European level. In the run up to last year’s Final media reports suggested that LAR’s budget was E31m and that there were six other French teams with higher budgets. So, financially it’s not a level playing field but it is what it is. If you suggested to Ugo Mola or Ronan O’Gara that their teams could only participate if they played in accordance with the Premiership’s salary cap, they would laugh hysterically.
That's missing the point.
It's not about forcing other European sides to conform with the Premiership salary cap, the decision is whether it is worth the Premiership sides participating when they have such an uneven playing field.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:48 am If La Rochelle beat Sale and Sale don't get two Bonus points we will be playing Leinster away.
Do we get a revenue share of that game because part of me is not sure I want that game would rather go into the challenge cup and see if we can win some silverware whilst focusing on the prem without the thought of playing Ireland again away
Sale must win to stand any chance of qualifying….a win for LA Rochelle takes them to 3rd place in the pool
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Also if Bath beat Toulouse without a bonus point we cannot play Leinster, however Leinster is certainly looking like our most likely destination.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

Looks like the round of 16 could have quite a few games a repeat of the pools.

The pool system I sort of understand for number of games, home games etc reasons.

Do not get at all this round of 16 set-up