longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Quins (A) - Premiership - Friday 26th January 2024 - KO- 19:45

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Pellsey wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:20 am
RunTigerRun wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:14 am
Pellsey wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:09 am

Looking at that picture, he should be cited. With flat hands, he would have not touched Simmon's eyes. Lowe's fingers were in Simmon eyes because the hands were not flat. This is either intentional or poor technique. In this case IMHO it is poor technique, but in either case, this should not happen at this level, and should be stamped out.
Agreed. I don’t think there is intent from Lowe, but the fact is there is contact with the eyes. I remember an incident with Ollie Chessum in a maul in a game where he accidentally made contact and was given a yellow immediately. It’s the lack of consistency that is the most frustrating part. Some thing which was frustrating about the officials yesterday too.
The officials yesterday were either completely out of their depth, or they had their eyes closed for the majority of it... or just need better glasses. Missing such things is not really excusable, because it was obvious there was an eye injury, and in this case, how it happened should have been looked at too. Same with the high shot on Kata last week.
Begs the question as to why it wasn't looked at in the truck?
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:22 am
Pellsey wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:20 am
RunTigerRun wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:14 am

Agreed. I don’t think there is intent from Lowe, but the fact is there is contact with the eyes. I remember an incident with Ollie Chessum in a maul in a game where he accidentally made contact and was given a yellow immediately. It’s the lack of consistency that is the most frustrating part. Some thing which was frustrating about the officials yesterday too.
The officials yesterday were either completely out of their depth, or they had their eyes closed for the majority of it... or just need better glasses. Missing such things is not really excusable, because it was obvious there was an eye injury, and in this case, how it happened should have been looked at too. Same with the high shot on Kata last week.
Begs the question as to why it wasn't looked at in the truck?
Because all the officials were out of their depth. If there is an inxperienced sir (at the level), they should be backed up by at least one or two more experienced officials, otherwise such things are missed.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Why was a URC ref, reffing a URC team?
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:44 am Why was a URC ref, reffing a URC team?
Because it can’t work that way practically so it doesn’t work that way. Any time teams from two different leagues play each other there would only be one other league to draw the officials from. Would a French referee have made such a huge difference yesterday? People here didn’t like the last one of those we had. The best solution to a poor ref wherever they’re from is to take them out of the equation.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Grimlish wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:45 am
RagingBull wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:44 am Why was a URC ref, reffing a URC team?
Because it can’t work that way practically so it doesn’t work that way. Any time teams from two different leagues play each other there would only be one other league to draw the officials from. Would a French referee have made such a huge difference yesterday? People here didn’t like the last one of those we had. The best solution to a poor ref wherever they’re from is to take them out of the equation.
French ref wouldn't have made a difference, but wouldn't have been out of their league.
Honestly I would like to see more refs from nations not involved in the Champtions cup. The georgian ref is decent.

IDK but that final 10 minutes of the first half killed any chances for us, and that McCarthy try was looked at 100 times and they still somehow missed everything. We go into the 2nd half in the lead and I feel Leinster start to panic and we don't feel the need to try and chase and we could've gotten a LBP.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Grimlish wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:45 am
then maybe we should make the Italians, Welsh and French go back to having proper leagues if they want to compete in this competition, if England had 4 regions we could have effectively the England side playing at "club" level to
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Biggest game of the season now by far!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:06 pm Biggest game of the season now by far!
Time to concentrate on the league.... although it would be great to beat Leinster in Dublin (with some kind of miracle... with a full strength on-form team!!). I was at Lansdown in 2005 when we did!
PJM
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PJM »

There have been at least 3 questionable incidents this weekend I believe players today know exactly what they are doing. Back in the day at least the players did it openly.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Pellsey wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:11 pm
Time to concentrate on the league.... although it would be great to beat Leinster in Dublin (with some kind of miracle... with a full strength on-form team!!). I was at Lansdown in 2005 when we did!
Me too. The wife sprained her ankle about a third of the way between St Stephen's Green and the ground. Despite me providing a shoulder to lean on, numerous pub stops were then required to rest the ankle. It can be a hard life :smt003
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:30 pm
Pellsey wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:11 pm
Me too. The wife sprained her ankle about a third of the way between St Stephen's Green and the ground. Despite me providing a shoulder to lean on, numerous pub stops were then required to rest the ankle. It can be a hard life :smt003
Irish Guinness is a wonderful painkiller! It might be needed next time too, either to kill the pain, or wishful thinking, to celebrate. Although in Dublin the Porterhouse (in Temple Bar) makes better stout.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Not the best result on sat ,but had a good time with some Leinster fans...very knowledgeable,very polite.
Not into the team - too many inbuilt advantages -
but the travelling support are great (in my experience)..
Now to Quinn's..vital to get something .League ,bread and butter....
Last edited by kk20gb30 on Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I also think we should target the PRC, it's definitely a winnable tournament for us and would I think it would be a massive positive for the squad... all out for Quins, but all out for those games too
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:18 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:21 pm Simmons will certainly be out...for quite a while I suspect. Eye injury was serious.
I don’t want to make a mountain out of a mole hill…. But if it is an eye injury then is there not grounds for a citing? Reckless contact with the eyes even if unintentional is still a PK/YC if I’m not mistaken?

The photo used on the telegraphs article of the game certainly looks like Lowe’s fingers are dangerously close/in Simmons’ eye… https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... leicester/

I’m not suggesting there was any malice as Lowe does not seem that type of player. More the fact that eye contact / injuries (intention or not) are foul play.
That’s a citing and a lengthy ban, you just can’t go near the eyes….though I doubt anything will happen
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

A hand off to the face is OK with a palm being extended as it makes contact to push the player away. A video showing if he led with a straight arm is needed but the bent fingers in the eye, rather than a flat palm should require a citing.