Tigers v Leinster (H) - Champions Cup - Saturday 20th January 2024 - KO: 3-15pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

nicmattyg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Tigers v Leinster (H) - Champions Cup - Saturday 20th January 2024 - KO: 3-15pm

Post by nicmattyg »

Greenwhiteandred wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:58 pm Oh yes - and if we are playing one of the best teams in the world and you get penalties in front of the posts - take the 3.
Agreed. Treat it like a test match, and take the points when they’re on offer. Poor decision making as well and poor basic skills/errors is what cost us. Leinster really didn’t have to work hard for their points, just let us hand them out on a plate
Yorkietiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Tigers v Leinster (H) - Champions Cup - Saturday 20th January 2024 - KO: 3-15pm

Post by Yorkietiger »

Unlike last week, today I thought the team as a whole put in a good effort . However, I am done with this joke of a competition, I will not bother attending another match in it.

What is the point when the playing field is not level. On my reckoning Leinster fielded 9 of the last Ireland international team starting line up. The same last week when we played a team with half the French team in it.

It could be argued in our heyday when we had a team loaded with internationals that we also had unfair advantage. However this is not so. We did not effectively have two squads, one to play league matches, and another bunch who only played for their country or in the then Heineken Cup.

I spoke to two Leinster fans in the shopping centre after the match. We were discussing the game and the state of English rugby in general. They agreed the odds are massively stacked in favour of them and the French teams, and that English teams stood little chance of competing.

The competition is a shambles, you either play somebody’s B team, like we did versus the Stormers, or you get to play a virtual test match side. Nope, not for me I am afraid.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Maybe take some silverware from the Prem Cup this year and allow DM to keep building the team!! The handling errors do seem persistent and Pollard doesn’t seem like the bloke pre-world cup but we all have bad days at the office I guess. This is a long term project for DM especially now the Oz job is sorted!!
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

I mean Stains have just proved the point - take the points if you are under the cosh
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

I found the tactic of constantly kicking to James Lowe a curious tactic. One of the best left boots in the business and we kept giving him the ball. That frustrated me
VernonAtrium

Post by VernonAtrium »

Once Leinster realised that monsieur was out of his depth, it was game over.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I think most of us there today were puzzled by us not building a score with 20 minutes to go: we did the same in the first half and in other games this season.
I’m off to Quins on Friday but for the first time going to the Stoop I really do fear we will get another heavy defeat.
Our injury list is very worrying as is the form( non form) of Pollard and the line out.
And unless we can rectify the handling errors we won’t be good enough to beat Ealing either!
Let’s hope we can put out a reasonable side for both games.
Finally, I know Leinster are a great side, but some of our support play today was worse than amateurish! Is fitness a problem?
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

I thought we really struggled with the physicality with Wells and Carter in the 2nd row. Both battled gallantly, but the gulf was enormous.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Proud of the effort, and they never gave up, but it's clear we're not at their level. Allowing big momentum swings to go against us again, and unable to turn pressure into points. Much like last week, but without the total implosion.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Away to La Rochelle was a far bigger challenge.

Two games that showed that you have to be smarter. Taking on the Juggernaut that is La Rochelle up front isn’t sensible and that we need to have more penetration in our backs. The absence of our backs coach is telling. It was like watching a return to the Cockers/O’Connor era where we would bosh with the forwards until they were all tied up then toss it to the backs who were static or aimlessness hoofing on a windy afternoon.

All we need is a backs/attack coach and £4000000 more in the player budget.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

On the positive if we can get the ball to OHC in a bit of space, things could look a lot brighter.

Watching from the A&L, the difference between the attacking patterns of the 2 sides was enormous, we look like a side that met in the car park at times.

We looked shot at Full Time, even a depleted Quins will be looking at a 5 point victory.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:43 pm On the positive if we can get the ball to OHC in a bit of space, things could look a lot brighter.

Watching from the A&L, the difference between the attacking patterns of the 2 sides was enormous, we look like a side that met in the car park at times.

We looked shot at Full Time, even a depleted Quins will be looking at a 5 point victory.
One thing I have noticed this season, and looked out for today, is how static we are when we take the ball in attack. Gibson-Park was sending some lovely passes out to first receiver, in front so they hit the ball at speed. We throw the ball to the receiver standing still, or on his shoulder, or over his head. Even Leinster's open play saw support runners running from deep receiving the ball in front and at speed. I know DMK needs time to develop the play but this basic skill should be there in all the players. The result is no penetration and a frustrated attack.
As Good As It Gets
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

I’m always a happy Tigers fan when the team give it there all, which they did. Some tired players out there. Also happy to credit Leinster - they are a team we should aspire to be. Lowe and Ringrose are magnificent in what was effectively the Ireland back line. It was a great game to watch and credit to the Leinster fans around us.

Good points.

Our play before Reffell went off. And our set piece before Chessum went off. Both were huge losses and in my opinion momentum changes.

Loved the Porter v Hayes battle in the scrum. Surely helped Hayes England credentials.

Thought Scott did a good job at 13 when considering in my opinion Leinster has one of the top 3 centre partnerships in the world (including international teams) at the moment.

Kata must be the best signing of the season.

We play better with Leibenburg.

Now the bad bits. I know it’s considered not cricket to blame the ref but let’s face it, he was terrible. Not just for Tigers but both teams. For our side, screwed for 2 tries; not calling the tackle on the first and then we had a holding on pen for the 2nd. And how you get a knock on for a strip I’ll never know.

Pollard. I’m sure he will be the first to admit he had a couple of howlers, balanced by some great bits. But the errors lately seem to be becoming more than one offs. Hope he sorts it. Also cannot understand why you don’t take the points between the posts in such a game.

Attack. Watching Leinster attack is fascinating. It must be a nightmare as a Tigers centre with multiple runners from all angles, all with support runners. Conversely, our attack was ? (Do we have one?). It’s poor compared to Prem teams, nevermind Ireland. And this is disappointing as I was expecting more from an Aussie coach in this area. In short, the apparent lack of an attack coach is costing us dearly. Tied in with this what’s the point in signing the likes of OHC if you don’t get the ball to him?
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

We had injuries.

The ref was poor.

We showed heart.

We can’t attack.

Groundhog Day for me!
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

It's the same year on year and still we carry on. We can't compete with the French Clubs who can spend many times our capped salary or the Irish Provices who are massively funded directly by the IRFU. The addition of the SA Clubs will only queer the mix even further.
Today will have brought in another tidy sum, but Tigers management are well aware we don't have a prayer in this competition.
It is meant to be a Club tournament but Ireland, play as Provinces, despite having many clubs. ( I played against Cork Const and Dunganon in my playing days). Essentially, there is a very uneven playing field so what's the point of playing, if not for a few paydays? It is not only futile, it is dishonest.
I am sure we opted out some years ago to bring about an "evening up" but that never lasted. If all teams can't possibly beat all other teams, there is no point in playing. Form an alternative competition for Clubs and insist all are equal.
A life long Tiger