Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jacko27

Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Post by Jacko27 »

It seems to chime in with recent snippets of rugby news like Carling's comment that representing your country is no longer seen as the "pinnacle" and Brian Moore's revelation (no idea whether these figures are true) that TNT are trying to reduce what they pay as they only get about 200,000 viewers for televised club rugby. This plus the diminishing number of boys and young men who actually play weekend rugby at grass roots level and the genuine long term worries about head injuries make me pessimistic about the future of our sport.
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

Sorry probably gone off subject here!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Jacko27 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:56 pm Sorry probably gone off subject here!
IMO the LRZ thing is in danger of being blown out of proportion. He is a talented 22 year old athlete who has been handed an unbelievable potential opportunity who can blame him for jumping at the opportunity, but I would be surprised if very many others, if any at all follow him.
As for your other points, join the club
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

He’s got a decent shot I think. Christian Wade got into the wider Bills training squad as I recall but didn’t make the final roster. Zammit has pace, we know that and he’s bigger than Wade. I’m assuming he’ll be a wide receiver or running back. If he can get through the IPP then why not ? Good luck to him.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Rees-Zammit quits Rugby

Post by mol2 »

BBC reporting he’s off to the USA to try his hand at American Footballhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67995451

Makes a change from them going to France.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

westwinds31 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:15 pm He’s got a decent shot I think. Christian Wade got into the wider Bills training squad as I recall but didn’t make the final roster. Zammit has pace, we know that and he’s bigger than Wade. I’m assuming he’ll be a wide receiver or running back. If he can get through the IPP then why not ? Good luck to him.
I have a feeling they tried Wade as a running back. I’m fairly sure they will look at him as a wide receiver. He has all the attributes but his pace will no longer be his usp and he’s going to be up against all star athletes who have been playing the game since kindergarten
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

If that's his lifelong dream then good luck to him, even if it is less an opportunity and more an opportunity to get an opportunity to get an opportunity.

If he's going to do it then he has probably picked the right age. Probably will have a better chance of succeeding and no problems coming back to rugby in a few years if he wants to.

I hope he gave more notice to Glouc than he did to Wales...
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Good luck to him ,but for me one of the worst sports in the world to watch. On a par with F1,truly dreadful!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

Offer came in Sunday, I've heard from the rumour mill, and he made the decision today/yesterday. He's much more focused on his image than I think some on here realise. He's after the sponsorships and deals he can leverage off of this - that and he won't have to tackle anyone anymore.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

The cynic in me says he's got 2 or 3 years to crack it, and if it fails he can come back and still make the next WC.

If he gets selected to a training squad he'll be on £170k a year, probably comparable to what he'd get in rugby for being one of the best. If he makes a full team expect that to go up to something more like £1m, if he becomes an elite level WR (top 25 or so in his position in the league) then stick another 0 on the end.

That's before he leverages sponsorship and endorsements.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

LekkerTigers wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:48 pm Offer came in Sunday, I've heard from the rumour mill, and he made the decision today/yesterday. He's much more focused on his image than I think some on here realise. He's after the sponsorships and deals he can leverage off of this - that and he won't have to tackle anyone anymore.
I’ve always thought there was something of the Gav Henson about him
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:05 am The cynic in me says he's got 2 or 3 years to crack it, and if it fails he can come back and still make the next WC.

If he gets selected to a training squad he'll be on £170k a year, probably comparable to what he'd get in rugby for being one of the best. If he makes a full team expect that to go up to something more like £1m, if he becomes an elite level WR (top 25 or so in his position in the league) then stick another 0 on the end.

That's a lot of "if". Especially when he won't be the quickest any more and he'll be up against athletes who have been playing the sport all their lives. My prediction is he gets in a training squad but never makes a regular season match, same as Wade.

Still, like you say, he won't have missed out on much (if any) earnings and he can come back for the next world cup and have another 10 years playing rugby. Plus the life experience aspect.

Worst case scenario, he doesn't get an offer and has to find a new rugby club for next season, but at least he tried, no long term harm done.

It does seem like there's a bit of vanity in it, and it does feel slightly insulting to rugby to just pack it all in for what is a very slim opportunity elsewhere, but it's kind of like quitting your day job for a slight chance of getting a rugby contract.

Just last year "the dream growing up" was to play for Wales in a world cup. This year all he dreamt of as a child was playing in the NFL...
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:50 am I’ve always thought there was something of the Gav Henson about him
Fair point, be interesting to see how he pans out. Maybe a Henson/Cipriani hybrid? Maybe I'm being a bit unfair?
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:07 am
Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:05 am The cynic in me says he's got 2 or 3 years to crack it, and if it fails he can come back and still make the next WC.

That's a lot of "if". Especially when he won't be the quickest any more and he'll be up against athletes who have been playing the sport all their lives. My prediction is he gets in a training squad but never makes a regular season match, same as Wade.

Still, like you say, he won't have missed out on much (if any) earnings and he can come back for the next world cup and have another 10 years playing rugby. Plus the life experience aspect.

Worst case scenario, he doesn't get an offer and has to find a new rugby club for next season, but at least he tried, no long term harm done.

It does seem like there's a bit of vanity in it, and it does feel slightly insulting to rugby to just pack it all in for what is a very slim opportunity elsewhere, but it's kind of like quitting your day job for a slight chance of getting a rugby contract.

Just last year "the dream growing up" was to play for Wales in a world cup. This year all he dreamt of as a child was playing in the NFL...
This was my first thought as well.

Personally don't think he has much chance. As many have said his speed wont be a USP anymore and will be up against others that have been playing since they could walk. Cant fault him for giving it a go though, if it comes off he'll be financially set for life.

Having said all that, as and NFL fan would be great to have another UK player in the league. Go Pats!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Cowan-Dickie and Hill reportedly off to Lyon from Sale