Tigers v Leinster (H) - Champions Cup - Saturday 20th January 2024 - KO: 3-15pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Leinster (H) - Champions Cup - Saturday 20th January 2024 - KO: 3-15pm

Post by Rugbygramps »

Big Dai wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:25 pm We played France last week, Ireland this week. I can't see a win and quite honestly would rather be out than be in the challenge Cup.

Europe, or what ever it is with the SA sides in, has lost its appeal.
I understand your point. I imagine the players would like to be competing in as many competitions as possible
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Leinster (H) - Champions Cup - Saturday 20th January 2024 - KO: 3-15pm

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:03 pm I'd probably rather go out altogether than fall into the Challenge Cup. More a strain on resources than anything else...
Personally given the fact we will have our full squad available, I'd jump at the chance to
A) get revenue from the games in the Challenge Cup given with a smaller league we have less games as it is.
B) Keep players sharp and allow the squad to play games in a shortened season people are calling for more players to get opportunities but we don't currently have the games to do that.

That said I'd rather be in the Champions Cup at this point.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:21 pm
Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:03 pm I'd probably rather go out altogether than fall into the Challenge Cup. More a strain on resources than anything else...
Personally given the fact we will have our full squad available, I'd jump at the chance to
A) get revenue from the games in the Challenge Cup given with a smaller league we have less games as it is.
B) Keep players sharp and allow the squad to play games in a shortened season people are calling for more players to get opportunities but we don't currently have the games to do that.

That said I'd rather be in the Champions Cup at this point.
To be honest, we're probably both right...
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

I would like us to go all out v Leinster and Quins and think we will ✊
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Think we will go as full strength as injuries permit v Leinster but v Quins the England lads are away as it’s a training weekend.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Ian Cant wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:07 pm Think we will go as full strength as injuries permit v Leinster but v Quins the England lads are away as it’s a training weekend.
Didn’t realise that Ian…thank you
Do you think Leinster may send a reduced strength side because
a) They’re through with a home tie already
And
b) Because central contracts may see the national side see it a pointless risk ?
Raimond
Tiger Cub

Post by Raimond »

I'm not Ian so sorry to but in, but I don't think Leinster will go weakened at all.

They've got a home tie already yes, but with 14 points they're on for being seeded number 4 at the moment and in big danger of being up against La Rochelle in the last 16. They'll want a bonus point win to finish as high as possible for a more favourable draw.

As for Ireland - all talk has been they'll want the Ireland boys playing, to go into the Six Nations match sharp. I think they'll go 100% first XV.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Raimond wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:58 am I'm not Ian so sorry to but in, but I don't think Leinster will go weakened at all.

They've got a home tie already yes, but with 14 points they're on for being seeded number 4 at the moment and in big danger of being up against La Rochelle in the last 16. They'll want a bonus point win to finish as high as possible for a more favourable draw.

As for Ireland - all talk has been they'll want the Ireland boys playing, to go into the Six Nations match sharp. I think they'll go 100% first XV.
Excellent! That will make all the more pleasurable when we beat them :smt003
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Thanks for your thoughts guys
I think you’re right on all counts and I agree it would be so much more satisfying facing and beating a full strength Leinster- a big ask of course but I see no reason why we can’t if we our best side is selected but they also have to “turn up on the day” with their best performance.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

KiwiTig wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:05 am Thanks for your thoughts guys
I think you’re right on all counts and I agree it would be so much more satisfying facing and beating a full strength Leinster- a big ask of course but I see no reason why we can’t if we our best side is selected but they also have to “turn up on the day” with their best performance.
I do agree Kiwi and I’m sure we will see some returnees, and feel we have a reasonable chance of turning them over.
It may be taken out of Leinster hands if Toulouse and Bordeaux win and they could end up at best 3rd seed
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:50 pm
Big Dai wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:25 pm We played France last week, Ireland this week. I can't see a win and quite honestly would rather be out than be in the challenge Cup.

I understand your point. I imagine the players would like to be competing in as many competitions as possible
Maybe a commitment to run more of a development side in the lower level comp? Gain experience and build that way?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Big Dai wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:15 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:50 pm

Maybe a commitment to run more of a development side in the lower level comp? Gain experience and build that way?
If you’re in it aren’t you in it to win it. I hope we stay and compete well in the main competition, but if we drop down, you still could play Sharks, Gloucester, Clermont, Edinburgh, Montpellier or Benetton. I don’t think they will be playing development sides
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

In what to win what? I suppose it depends on your priorities and that could change year on year, depending on where you are in the league, for instance.

A lowly league position could mean that is viewed as lower priority. You can't go full bore on everything.........or can you.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Big Dai wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:38 pm In what to win what? I suppose it depends on your priorities and that could change year on year, depending on where you are in the league, for instance.

A lowly league position could mean that is viewed as lower priority. You can't go full bore on everything.........or can you.
Sorry I thought you were suggesting run a development team if we were to drop to the challenge cup. My point was that although it’s a secondary competition they aren’t secondary clubs. No you can’t go full bore, but when you reach the knockout stages you pick your best side imo
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

TBH, I don't really see why we can't go pretty much full bore all season this season. We're playing less games and not paying games during the six nations. So apart from the usual injuries and main squad rotation I wouldn't really expect to see many changes in the team/bench for any game.

Obvs there may be certain, England, players that need additional rest days.