Tigers v Leinster (H) - Champions Cup - Saturday 20th January 2024 - KO: 3-15pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Leinster (H) - Champions Cup - Saturday 20th January 2024 - KO: 3-15pm

Post by Scuttle »

GB72 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:40 pm If for no other reason, we need people through the turnstiles and if you start putting out weakened teams for home matches, those numbers are going to start dropping. At the very least, every home match should have as much of a first team out as possible to show respect to the fans if nothing else.
I think this is correct, plus you shouldn't plan to fail and putting a weakened side out is planning to fail. Beating Leinster with a full 1st team is big enough of an ask; to try and do it with a weakened team is illogical.
As Good As It Gets
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Leinster (H) - Champions Cup - Saturday 20th January 2024 - KO: 3-15pm

Post by Scott1 »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:27 pm Leinster at Welford Road... has to be the strongest team available, surely?

I don't see Leinster resting anyone, they tend to do all their resting in the league and put out the best team in all European and international matches.

Need a big performance, even if not a win, for some momentum leading up to Quins. Confidence is everything, and another battering will not be helpful.
I see what you do there,nice work :smt005
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

Leinster will definitely go full strength as who you play is based on pool position + overall points.

This is true right the way down so distinct possibility in round of 16 we get Leinster away that seems crazy.
moorsman1
Tiger Cub

Post by moorsman1 »

With the Terrace sold out for Saturday's match I hope we'll find some 1st choice stewards doing the job properly for a change. The last couple of games there's been no effective stewards keeping the access path clear of the predictable groups who arrive 5 minutes before KO.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

moorsman1 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:04 pm With the Terrace sold out for Saturday's match I hope we'll find some 1st choice stewards doing the job properly for a change. The last couple of games there's been no effective stewards keeping the access path clear of the predictable groups who arrive 5 minutes before KO.
Agreed, and whilst they do an invaluable service why do St John's stand in the exit ways on the fans leaving the Crumbie. I'm sure our elf n safety have it in their risk assessments for the Safety of Sports Grounds Regs and licence don't they?
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

moorsman1 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:04 pm With the Terrace sold out for Saturday's match I hope we'll find some 1st choice stewards doing the job properly for a change. The last couple of games there's been no effective stewards keeping the access path clear of the predictable groups who arrive 5 minutes before KO.
Directly opposite you we have the bloke and (I guess his son) who arrive 5 mins AFTER KO, leave 5 mins BEFORE half time, arrive again 5 mins AFTER KO in the 2nd half, and leave 5 mins BEFORE full time. In addition to occasional added trips during each half. Always accompanied by lots of apologies to the 10 or so people who have to stand to let them pass....one day I might say, if you are so sorry....DONT DO IT. It will happen this coming Saturday...guaranteed. Sorry, rant over.
As Good As It Gets
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

SthrnTiger wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:35 pm Leinster will definitely go full strength as who you play is based on pool position + overall points.

This is true right the way down so distinct possibility in round of 16 we get Leinster away that seems crazy.
It is certainly possible. It is also possible we could face an away trip to Saints or Exeter
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:54 am
SthrnTiger wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:35 pm Leinster will definitely go full strength as who you play is based on pool position + overall points.

It is certainly possible. It is also possible we could face an away trip to Saints or Exeter
Wouldn't Saints be lovely?!! haha (Assuming we play to our potential!)
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Pellsey wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:57 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:54 am

Wouldn't Saints be lovely?!! haha (Assuming we play to our potential!)
People aren’t a fan of this new format but it has set up some real cliffhangers for the final weekend.
Toulouse are pretty much nailed on top seed playing Bath at home. Bordeaux have to travel to Bulls never easy but any win would get them 2nd seed as they have a better points difference than Leinster. Saints travel to Munster, good luck with that one, but then Exeter travel to Bayonne, never easy if Saints slip up.
I have a feeling we may turn Leinster over this Saturday, so they may finish 4th seed, but will know by kick off, given the Toulouse will beat Bath, if they have a top 2 seeding
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

There is a way we can go out however unlikely so we must go full strength v Leinster.

Sale win and score 4 tries = 10pts
La Rochelle lose but scored 4 tries and get a losing bonus point = 9pts

We get nothing against Leinster = 9pts

So equal on 9 pts the following comes into play

If two or more clubs in the same pool are equal on match points, their ranking will be determined as follows:

(i) the best aggregate points difference from the pool stage; or

(ii) if equal, the number of tries scored in the pool stage; or

(iii) if equal, the club with the fewest number of players suspended for disciplinary incidents in the pool stage; or
(iv) if still equal, by drawing lots.

La Rochelle will therefore go through on points difference.
Hehehehehehehehe
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TBH 5th wouldn’t be the end of the world as it drops us down to the challenge cup.
Obviously I hope we really go for it and beat Leinster
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I'd probably rather go out altogether than fall into the Challenge Cup. More a strain on resources than anything else...
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

We played France last week, Ireland this week. I can't see a win and quite honestly would rather be out than be in the challenge Cup.

Europe, or what ever it is with the SA sides in, has lost its appeal.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

We can’t finish any lower than 5th
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Probably been discussed to death already imo the wins by La Rochelle Toulouse and Bordeaux show the difference French millions make. Skelton Botia and Kerr Barlow aren’t even French