Alan Dickens - Tigers lack of attack coach.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Alan Dickens - Tigers lack of attack coach.

Post by Rugbygramps »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:38 am
Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:05 am Premiership Cup will be directed with the development coaches.
Our development coach is our attack coach!
I think Mckellar will have a bigger say in the remaining 2, hopefully, PRC games. I would also expect a much stronger side than the rabbits that went to Bedford.
PeteK
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PeteK »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:36 am Rowntree is having a rather impressive time at Munster, you wonder if he was on the conversation when Borthwick left.

As for a backs coach, Carwyn James would struggle with players that can't do the basics of catch & pass. Less time in the gym more on the pitch might be a rather simplistic answer.
You have the wrong wiggy.... im talking Wigglesworth.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

PeteK wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:15 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:36 am Rowntree is having a rather impressive time at Munster, you wonder if he was on the conversation when Borthwick left.

As for a backs coach, Carwyn James would struggle with players that can't do the basics of catch & pass. Less time in the gym more on the pitch might be a rather simplistic answer.
I was aware of that I was musing on the overall situation, as for Wigglesworth he is not the answer to whatever our problem is.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:29 am
PeteK wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:15 am

I was aware of that I was musing on the overall situation, as for Wigglesworth he is not the answer to whatever our problem is.
Kidnap Sam Vesty!!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

There are some seriously short sighted and outright disrespectful people out there.
PJM
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PJM »

On paper our players, as whole, are just as good as any other teams players. So what is the difference, the game plan, the coaching, the attack, the defence or all of them?

I don't know the answer, but the Tigers coaches need to find it and sort it out. :smt027
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

There are plenty of good coaches around the world, not many world class but why can’t we develop coaches like players?

Vesty a great example of coach development.

The most important person in any club for a teams success is head coach. Bar none. They decided how good anyone can be. Murphy is a good example but there are many many more. If you don’t think that then I’m afraid I will have to agree to disagree.

Whatever happens with Dickens I hope he is ok but that does not discount the fact that Tigers do need an attack coach.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tigers86asw wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:50 pm There are plenty of good coaches around the world, not many world class but why can’t we develop coaches like players?

The most important person in any club for a teams success is head coach. Bar none. They decided how good anyone can be. Murphy is a good example but there are many many more. If you don’t think that then I’m afraid I will have to agree to disagree.

Whatever happens with Dickens I hope he is ok but that does not discount the fact that Tigers do need an attack coach.
Tigers have handed coaching jobs to Murphy, Smith, Deacon and even Allen. All have one thing in common they are all ex tigers. Smith is filling the breech left by Dickens and frankly nothing has changed since either took on the role as we are still appalling in attack. So yes we do need an attack coach but let's have one that can actually do the job rather than just fill a vacancy.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

sapajo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:17 pm So yes we do need an attack coach but let's have one that can actually do the job rather than just fill a vacancy.
Exactly!!!!
PeteK
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PeteK »

sapajo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:17 pm
Tigers86asw wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:50 pm There are plenty of good coaches around the world, not many world class but why can’t we develop coaches like players?

Tigers have handed coaching jobs to Murphy, Smith, Deacon and even Allen. All have one thing in common they are all ex tigers. Smith is filling the breech left by Dickens and frankly nothing has changed since either took on the role as we are still appalling in attack. So yes we do need an attack coach but let's have one that can actually do the job rather than just fill a vacancy.
I wouldnt say nothing has happened...id say we have gone backwards with Smith running it.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

PeteK wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:58 am I wouldnt say nothing has happened...id say we have gone backwards with Smith running it.
I think we dropped it when we tried to run backwards :smt002
PeteK
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PeteK »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:00 am
PeteK wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:58 am I wouldnt say nothing has happened...id say we have gone backwards with Smith running it.
I think we dropped it when we tried to run backwards :smt002
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Thing is, you can’t have it all ways. The intent has definitely improved, we’ve gone backwards because we are trying something we haven’t done for years and the execution is poor but doesn’t that take time and continuity to click.

So what do you do, revert back to same old forward dominant set piece or weather the storm until it comes together?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Can I just ask by attack coach do posters really mean backs coach
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

anz3001 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:56 am Thing is, you can’t have it all ways. The intent has definitely improved, we’ve gone backwards because we are trying something we haven’t done for years and the execution is poor but doesn’t that take time and continuity to click.

So what do you do, revert back to same old forward dominant set piece or weather the storm until it comes together?
Exactly this.

"Play more running rugby"

And then when it isn't instantly perfect:

"You can't catch"

Change takes time and almost always involves an element of pain in the process.