Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by RagingBull »

sapajo wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:04 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:51 pm If he leaves cause Borthwick told him he isn't in his England plans then Steve shouldn't have picked him over Moroni...
Unless he is clairvoyant no way was Borthwick going to know what was to transpire
Maybe but not re-signing Moroni in hindsight has been a terrible call
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:04 pm Would be nice to sign Radwan
Radwan and OHC on the wings to never get the ball would be something.
We re-signed Watson for that honour when he is available :smt003
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

anz3001 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:31 am Apparently, TRP are reporting Porter is to leave (haven’t seen the article personally)
As I have said, I was pretty sure his visit to OZ was more than just to see his close mate Harry. I recon thats where he is off to.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:05 pm
sapajo wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:04 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:51 pm If he leaves cause Borthwick told him he isn't in his England plans then Steve shouldn't have picked him over Moroni...
Unless he is clairvoyant no way was Borthwick going to know what was to transpire
Maybe but not re-signing Moroni in hindsight has been a terrible call
Would Porter have really been on like for like money for Moroni? Given his versatility and age he was always a good option to retain.

Moroni is a class act, brilliant defensive centre. Wish we'd kept him. Wish we'd kept West more though.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Moroni went to Newcastle I doubt they broke the bank to get him.
PeteK
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PeteK »

Thought he was let go due to reduction of foreign players as the RFU ruling comes in next season for the 15/8 split on English Qualified players and foreign in a match day 23, Porter being English got the nod.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

PeteK wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:25 am Thought he was let go due to reduction of foreign players as the RFU ruling comes in next season for the 15/8 split on English Qualified players and foreign in a match day 23, Porter being English got the nod.
I thought at the time the decision was between Scott and Moroni? We opted for Scott as he'd be available for all the season whilst Moroni would miss the first few months of every season with the Pumas.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

It is my understanding that Moroni was due to stay, even some of the players were working on the understanding that that was going to happen. The issue was Nemani leaving - it was unexpected and it caused a bit of a panic. As a result, the money we were allocating to Moroni got pulled and we then spent it on Watson, who was without a club and relatively desperate. With Porter breaking into the England team at the time, it was felt we were well covered.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Not sure that Moroni has been an outstanding success at Newcastle. I don't agree either that Porters form has dipped dramatically, our backs are not playing well as a team, personally I would reinstate Kelly to 12 as a distributor of the ball, Kata out to 13 or possibly the wing, but we do need more pace O.H.C fit or Watson or sign Radwan, just get speed into the side and pass the ball.instead of kicking it away.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:47 am Not sure that Moroni has been an outstanding success at Newcastle. I don't agree either that Porters form has dipped dramatically, our backs are not playing well as a team, personally I would reinstate Kelly to 12 as a distributor of the ball, Kata out to 13 or possibly the wing, but we do need more pace O.H.C fit or Watson or sign Radwan, just get speed into the side and pass the ball.instead of kicking it away.
No one is going to be an outstanding success in Newcastle.
Even Radwan has lost some shine
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Porter is someone I really want to keep. If we lose him I would be more gutted than if we lost Scott.

Porter has had a few injury niggles this season and combined with time in the England camp he hadn't had time to bed in with McKellar much prior to injury.

Porter IMO if he stays will be there or there abouts as our 1st choice 13 along with Scott.

He is also a genuine 12 option and genuine wing option.

Personally I think given how little info in TRP on the situation I think they are making 2+2=5, after seeing a bloke visit family over Christmas.

Yes he may have a release clause, but where are the Australian teams getting the money to pay that. ARU is currently trying to (after annoying Rugby League) hold on to stars who are Aus eligible, why would they splash out money on a England player who won't be eligible for Australia?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
PeteK
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PeteK »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:00 am Porter is someone I really want to keep. If we lose him I would be more gutted than if we lost Scott.

Porter has had a few injury niggles this season and combined with time in the England camp he hadn't had time to bed in with McKellar much prior to injury.

Porter IMO if he stays will be there or there abouts as our 1st choice 13 along with Scott.

Personally I think given how little info in TRP on the situation I think they are making 2+2=5, after seeing a bloke visit family over Christmas.

Yes he may have a release clause, but where are the Australian teams getting the money to pay that. ARU is currently trying to (after annoying Rugby League) hold on to stars who are Aus eligible, why would they splash out money on a England player who won't be eligible for Australia?
Id sooner lose Porter over Scott as Scott runs the better lines and greater in support running, almost like seeing Oz back in the day and great angles instead of crash ball. But we need at 4 centres and we have 4 centres so no need to lose any, just need to get Watson playing as that was a woeful investment so far and a bucket load of hype.
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

Remember the Phrase "Oh Guy Porter is there anything you can't do"
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I think most people on this forum, myself included, had Kelly / Porter as their starting centres before the season started. Granted for whatever reason there form hasn’t been great - but that doesn’t make them bad players.

The club needs four senior centres. Porter for me is invaluable as he can cover 11/12/13/14. You forget he started at 12 in the final we won. Hope he doesn’t leave and we keep him.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

PeteK wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:06 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:00 am Porter is someone I really want to keep. If we lose him I would be more gutted than if we lost Scott.

Id sooner lose Porter over Scott as Scott runs the better lines and greater in support running, almost like seeing Oz back in the day and great angles instead of crash ball. But we need at 4 centres and we have 4 centres so no need to lose any, just need to get Watson playing as that was a woeful investment so far and a bucket load of hype.
Porter is 7 years younger. Scott will be 34 at the start of next season. The club need to be smart on recruitment even if we have managed to bring in some quality guys overlooked elsewhere for their age. Letting players go coming into prime age where there's potential 5+ years in the tank isn't a great idea.