Tigers v La Rochelle (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 14th January 2024 - KO - 3-15pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v La Rochelle (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 14th January 2024 - KO - 3-15pm

Post by DeadlyDunc »

tigerburnie wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:09 pm Managing expectations I think, we are in our first season with this set of coaches and players and you think we are going to turn over back to back Champions of Europe in their own back yard? I always hope we will win, but I have a realistic head after over 60 years of following the club, we need patience, our past history will show things don't happen just like that, this squad of people have to be given support as they strive forward, this ain't soccer with knee jerk sackings, we are bigger than that.
And turn them over without our first choice back row, full back , scrum half, fly half and our 2 international wingers
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v La Rochelle (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 14th January 2024 - KO - 3-15pm

Post by Scott1 »

At least a few posters might use the Sarries score to take a bit of heat off us :smt040
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Yorkietiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkietiger »

Who is talking about knee jerk sackings, or even expecting a win against La Rochelle? Certainly not me.

That said, I think we are entitled to not be massacred and embarrassed who ever the opposition is. We should expect better skills from full time professionals than we see, and when it is clear that our attack is toothless, ineffective and our attack coach is off work, we should expect the club to do something about it.
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Yorkietiger wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:26 pm Who is talking about knee jerk sackings, or even expecting a win against La Rochelle? Certainly not me.

That said, I think we are entitled to not be massacred and embarrassed who ever the opposition is. We should expect better skills from full time professionals than we see, and when it is clear that our attack is toothless, ineffective and our attack coach is off work, we should expect the club to do something about it.
This 👍
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

+2
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Forgive me as I'm an ex low grade 'pusher' but with all those 'winners' in the club can't they do a Wiggy and coach themselves?

I'll get my coat!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Yorkietiger wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:26 pm
That said, I think we are entitled to not be massacred and embarrassed who ever the opposition is.
"Entitled"................wow
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

tigerburnie wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:09 pm Managing expectations I think, we are in our first season with this set of coaches and players and you think we are going to turn over back to back Champions of Europe in their own back yard? I always hope we will win, but I have a realistic head after over 60 years of following the club, we need patience, our past history will show things don't happen just like that, this squad of people have to be given support as they strive forward, this ain't soccer with knee jerk sackings, we are bigger than that.
I do expect professional players to have basic ball handling ability and be able to tackle properly we do not. I also expect Tigers to have an attack but we do not. Nothing to do with patience we are still waiting for many seasons for this to be redressed it is to do with coaching and player ability nothing else
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:32 pm Forgive me as I'm an ex low grade 'pusher' but with all those 'winners' in the club can't they do a Wiggy and coach themselves?

I'll get my coat!
It certainly looks like they do
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:49 pm Brace as a "Sir" has been hopeless for as long as I have seen him, he picks a side then refs the other off the park.

The obsession with quoting Tigers DNA as forward dominance is just boring now...it wasn't the Tigers I started watching.

As for Vesty he has the right sort of Tigers DNA (3rd generation) but we let him go, why would he come back now for anything less than the top job. The last competent attack coach we had was Mauger.

Some of this lack of attacking ability lies at Borthwicks door he was (& arguably isn't) interested in a rounded 15 man game.
Borthwick was perfectly happy to play expansively he just only liked to do it in the opposition third of the pitch unless we'd spotted something on the analysis.

Chasing an expensive backline saw us spend silly money on the likes of Toomua. A terrible move for us.

For me the issue we have currently is that our backrow options are lacking a little subtlety and skill. Weise is explosive so gets away with it and in Reffell and Liebenburg we do have some great skills. When they aren't there we have Hatherall, Cracknell and Rogerson who are all hard, physical blokes with good work rates but soft skills and acceleration are lacking. We need to promote Ilione more or acquire someone else with more rounded skills.

Actually having an attack coach would help as well.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

sapajo wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:36 pm Nothing to do with patience we are still waiting for many seasons for this to be redressed it is to do with coaching and player ability nothing else
Many seasons, one and a bit since we were Premiership Champions???
Reality check as to what has happened here, we are running a rugby club not a burger bar, you don't get instant results, they have to be worked for, Harry Potter has gone and taken his magic wand with him.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

I dont think our attacking play is particularly innovative or exciting but I would prefer to judge when we’ve got JVP, Pollard, Steward, OHC and Watson all out there.

Off a back row of Hanro, Wiese and Reffell, whilst I doubt we’ll go full court I do think we’ll look pretty decent
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

tigerburnie wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:42 pm
sapajo wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:36 pm Nothing to do with patience we are still waiting for many seasons for this to be redressed it is to do with coaching and player ability nothing else
Reality check as to what has happened here, we are running a rugby club not a burger bar, you don't get instant results, they have to be worked for, Harry Potter has gone and taken his magic wand with him.
Truth is that season we bludgeoned our way to victory through the rolling maul not the backs in attack. So that is the factual reality check not your fantasy one
cheltexile

Post by cheltexile »

Think McKellar has to go, abject performance. Same old dross.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

sapajo wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:05 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:42 pm
Truth is that season we bludgeoned our way to victory through the rolling maul not the backs in attack. So that is the factual reality check not your fantasy one
I think we utilised Nemzy brilliantly that season, he was a huge difference maker