Tigers v La Rochelle (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 14th January 2024 - KO - 3-15pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v La Rochelle (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 14th January 2024 - KO - 3-15pm

Post by Rugbygramps »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:55 am We must also remember that some young players missed out on virtually two years of rugby matches due to lockdown and Academy rugby not being seen as elite sport, unlike for instance Leicester City Ladies Academy of the same age who continued play Under 21 matches although parents/spectators were prohibited from attending.
Louis Chessum, Archie Vanes possibly Illeoni and others could have had their development adversely affected at a crucial time in their career.
Very good point
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v La Rochelle (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 14th January 2024 - KO - 3-15pm

Post by mightymouse »

Re the sky Tv question.. my TNT channel on sky is showing football and yet when I Google tbe question of where the match is, it says TNT 1 … I’m assuming it’s on the red button?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

mightymouse wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:48 am Re the sky Tv question.. my TNT channel on sky is showing football and yet when I Google tbe question of where the match is, it says TNT 1 … I’m assuming it’s on the red button?
Our match is on TNT 1 which should be the main channel not the red button
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:55 pm
mightymouse wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:48 am Re the sky Tv question.. my TNT channel on sky is showing football and yet when I Google tbe question of where the match is, it says TNT 1 … I’m assuming it’s on the red button?
On my listing it's La Rochelle v Leinster...
🤣🤣 . Interesting!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Big Dai wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:36 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:55 pm
On my listing it's La Rochelle v Leinster...
🤣🤣 . Interesting!
Happy for them to play each other again and we will take the points for a no contest. Winner winner chicken dinner
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

mol2 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:35 am
Tiglon wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:34 pm I know the studies thing with Ilione is brought up a lot, but I think it's unlikely that he, or anyone, would let that happen in his position.

"No sorry boss, I can't come to every training session because I have to study".

Surely you wouldn't be given a professional contract if not fully committed?

Steward has just graduated from Loughborough, so there's no reason why both can't be done together.

I think it's more a question of whether he's ready yet, and I haven't seen enough of him to say either way, so I've kinda got to go with the coach's call.
Is he really going to blow his career in medicine by blowing his finals?

Rugby is a short career for most players. Only a few make enough not to need to have plans for the future and even those with real talent are one injury away from premature retirement.

I doubt the club would ask him to jeopardise his qualification and the university can only show limited flexibility as a medical degree has to meet standards agreed at a higher level than the university itself to enable its graduates to obtain GMC registration. The last three years of a medical degree are essentially full time and cannot be equated to the demands of most other courses.

He probably isn't ready yet because juggling training and studying will perhaps mean he doesn't do enough rugby training with Tigers to be fit enough and game sharp to play regularly. I think this is his final year so next season may be different.
I suspect DMK is not convinced he is good enough - doubt his studies come in to it.
thunderbirds

Post by thunderbirds »

I spoke to Emeke a few weeks ago and asked him about his studies. He said that both the club and hospital are very helpful with arranging shifts round his training. He said he trains 9-3 ish and then goes to the hospital. No life outside this by the sound of it. He said that effectively he only has about a year of studies left as the final year is predominantly exams ( with the obvious revision) . Have to say he was a lovely chap to chat to and was glowing about the help Handre and Tommy give players.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Bon appétit to those of you having lunch in La Rochelle! Enjoy yourselves!
Semper in excretia
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

thunderbirds wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:36 am I spoke to Emeke a few weeks ago and asked him about his studies. He said that both the club and hospital are very helpful with arranging shifts round his training. He said he trains 9-3 ish and then goes to the hospital. No life outside this by the sound of it. He said that effectively he only has about a year of studies left as the final year is predominantly exams ( with the obvious revision) . Have to say he was a lovely chap to chat to and was glowing about the help Handre and Tommy give players.
On the occasions I've seen him interviewed he comes across as a very intelligent and articulate bloke. Hopefully one we have wearing the stripes for many years yet.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tigersunited wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:13 am
mol2 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:35 am
Tiglon wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:34 pm I know the studies thing with Ilione is brought up a lot, but I think it's unlikely that he, or anyone, would let that happen in his position.

"No sorry boss, I can't come to every training session because I have to study".

Surely you wouldn't be given a professional contract if not fully committed?

Steward has just graduated from Loughborough, so there's no reason why both can't be done together.

I think it's more a question of whether he's ready yet, and I haven't seen enough of him to say either way, so I've kinda got to go with the coach's call.
Is he really going to blow his career in medicine by blowing his finals?

Rugby is a short career for most players. Only a few make enough not to need to have plans for the future and even those with real talent are one injury away from premature retirement.

I doubt the club would ask him to jeopardise his qualification and the university can only show limited flexibility as a medical degree has to meet standards agreed at a higher level than the university itself to enable its graduates to obtain GMC registration. The last three years of a medical degree are essentially full time and cannot be equated to the demands of most other courses.

He probably isn't ready yet because juggling training and studying will perhaps mean he doesn't do enough rugby training with Tigers to be fit enough and game sharp to play regularly. I think this is his final year so next season may be different.
I suspect DMK is not convinced he is good enough - doubt his studies come in to it.
I disagree I think McKellar rates him from what I've seen of him.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Watson out. Shame as a big game player. Simmons won’t let us down though.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Watson out. Shame as a big game player. Simmons won’t let us down though.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Such a shame for Watson. Do we know what the reason is? He has obviously been fit this week, and at the time the announcement was made they won’t have started the pre game warm up
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

For me the re-signing of Watson has not been good business
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Men and boys,way too easy!
Last edited by Scott1 on Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer