Tigers v La Rochelle (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 14th January 2024 - KO - 3-15pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v La Rochelle (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 14th January 2024 - KO - 3-15pm

Post by Big Dai »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:26 pm Anyone know the weather forecast. A storm blowing in off the Atlantic possibly
Calm, cold and overcast.

Nasty siege due just before half four in the afternoon (1627)
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v La Rochelle (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 14th January 2024 - KO - 3-15pm

Post by Tiglon »

La Rochelle probably too strong for us in this one.

We miss Reffell so much when he's not playing. The back row will work incredibly hard but just don't think they'll have the subtlety or skill to come out on top. Botia will have a field day.

It's a shame Ilione doesn't seem to be deemed ready - I do wonder if McKellar is not a fan of taking risks with youngsters, but maybe I'm being unfair.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Ilione for Exeter (A) is the only time DMK has genuinely picked a youngster without injuries forcing his hand. Vanes and FTT have played because there's been no senior hookers left.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:44 pm La Rochelle probably too strong for us in this one.

We miss Reffell so much when he's not playing. The back row will work incredibly hard but just don't think they'll have the subtlety or skill to come out on top. Botia will have a field day.

It's a shame Ilione doesn't seem to be deemed ready - I do wonder if McKellar is not a fan of taking risks with youngsters, but maybe I'm being unfair.
It’s interesting he’s only a year younger than Martin and 2 younger than Chessum, yet they have been to a World Cup. I do wonder if his medical studies have an effect on his training time, and I’m sure with a run of games he’ll progress.
I didn’t see the Exeter game which he started and replaced after 50 minutes, was he out powered, not the only one that day
KevinR

Post by KevinR »

I've been obsessively looking at the forecast for Sunday afternoon all week - pleased to see that it should now be sunny and the rain won't arrive until Monday afternoon!
For anyone who has decided to take advantage of the Poitiers flights at the last minute, I now (unexpectedly) have a spare ticket, which I could pass on in la Rochelle. Send me a message if you would like to use it!
Mineheadtiger

Post by Mineheadtiger »

Does anyone's sky tv guide show the game on Sunday as La Rochelle v Leinster?
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:54 pm
Tiglon wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:44 pm La Rochelle probably too strong for us in this one.

It’s interesting he’s only a year younger than Martin and 2 younger than Chessum, yet they have been to a World Cup. I do wonder if his medical studies have an effect on his training time, and I’m sure with a run of games he’ll progress.
I didn’t see the Exeter game which he started and replaced after 50 minutes, was he out powered, not the only one that day
If I recall I didnt think he played very well in that game, along with a load of others.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Ilione played ok Vs Chiefs. He was very good at the breakdown but he didn't stop their ball carriers at the breakdown. Needs to bring more venom to his tackling.

I don't think Cracknell has the breakdown game to provide what we need from an openside. He could be a good option at 6 or 8 though. I'd have liked to seen Ilione get another go this weekend.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I know the studies thing with Ilione is brought up a lot, but I think it's unlikely that he, or anyone, would let that happen in his position.

"No sorry boss, I can't come to every training session because I have to study".

Surely you wouldn't be given a professional contract if not fully committed?

Steward has just graduated from Loughborough, so there's no reason why both can't be done together.

I think it's more a question of whether he's ready yet, and I haven't seen enough of him to say either way, so I've kinda got to go with the coach's call.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Medicine has much larger contact hours than most other courses and he will be doing hospital placements but my understanding from others on the course is that he does go to the vast majority of training and just works very hard all round to get things done. One more year at Nottingham to get his degree then he will need to decide if he goes full on rugby or into F1 in a hospital somewhere. I hope Tigers show some more faith in him to keep him for a rugby career. Injury cover is not the career his talent needs. Young players develop in the dace of challenge, not on the bench or in the stands.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Young Feyi-Waboso is also studying medicine so Tiglon has a point.
I think we all agree that he has the talent and just Ned’s a run of games, it must be difficult to get fully up to speed with just the odd game.
Possible he will be given both, hopefully, PRC games and Gloucester
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:34 pm I know the studies thing with Ilione is brought up a lot, but I think it's unlikely that he, or anyone, would let that happen in his position.

"No sorry boss, I can't come to every training session because I have to study".

Surely you wouldn't be given a professional contract if not fully committed?

Steward has just graduated from Loughborough, so there's no reason why both can't be done together.

I think it's more a question of whether he's ready yet, and I haven't seen enough of him to say either way, so I've kinda got to go with the coach's call.
Is he really going to blow his career in medicine by blowing his finals?

Rugby is a short career for most players. Only a few make enough not to need to have plans for the future and even those with real talent are one injury away from premature retirement.

I doubt the club would ask him to jeopardise his qualification and the university can only show limited flexibility as a medical degree has to meet standards agreed at a higher level than the university itself to enable its graduates to obtain GMC registration. The last three years of a medical degree are essentially full time and cannot be equated to the demands of most other courses.

He probably isn't ready yet because juggling training and studying will perhaps mean he doesn't do enough rugby training with Tigers to be fit enough and game sharp to play regularly. I think this is his final year so next season may be different.
Jamo333

Post by Jamo333 »

He is 21 he is not even half way through his degree !
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

The club actively encourages players to study outside rugby, someone mentioned Freddie Steward graduated recently.

Jamie Roberts is a good example of how the 2 can be combined
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

We must also remember that some young players missed out on virtually two years of rugby matches due to lockdown and Academy rugby not being seen as elite sport, unlike for instance Leicester City Ladies Academy of the same age who continued play Under 21 matches although parents/spectators were prohibited from attending.
Louis Chessum, Archie Vanes possibly Illeoni and others could have had their development adversely affected at a crucial time in their career.