LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Disagree. Whilst Wiese is probably the best eight in the premiership, no one player makes the team.

Take today for example. The win came from the pack. But for me the foundation in the forwards were the locks in the engine room who were both exceptional. Plus the front row at the scrum.

The one forward who’s scored two tries in the last two games in heavy traffic was Rogerson, not Wiese. For me if we brought someone in like Wainwright with Hatherell then we’ll do fine.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Wiese was top tackler today, and made by far more carries/metres than the anyone in the pack.

Its not just the eye-catching stuff, his workrate is exceptional now.

That said, if we can pull in someone of a high calibre, or someone with great potential like Evan Roos, I'll be happy to see him get his big payday.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:29 pm Thought Cronin played well today, but thinking about some other LHs in the market.

Nicky Smith is a class scrummager. Also rumoured that Rhys Carre is coming back to the premiership. Probably Saracens or Gloucester but I’ve always rated him as a seriously underrated player.
Wyn Jones might be one to "investigate". That said I think Whitcombe is good enough to be our first choice LH going forward.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

So coming to the time of year I have a go at guessing at what our leavers may look like:

First stab at this now we're in the new year, as always there's more subtlety to it than what I put here but here goes. (Only looking at Senior squad, so although I can think of a couple of lads in there who may be on the way I'm not including them.)

I've added everyone who has not signed a contract extension this season or last plus a few others who may be on shorter deals.

Confirmed leaving:
Jasper Wiese

Probably Leaving:
Sam Carter
Olly Cracknell
Phil Cokansigna

50/50 Leaving
Francois Van Wyk
Matt Scott

Probably staying
James Cronin
Handrè Pollard
Tommy Reffell
Matt Rogerson
Dan Richardson
Josh Bassett
Nic Dolly
Hanro Liebenberg
Dan Cole

My explanations:
Sam Carter - 25/05/23 signed, only just makes this group rather than the 50/50, just with his age plus the age profile of our locks I think he may have been on a 1 year. If we're happy with one of Tom Manz, Lewis Chessum or Finn Carnduff stepping up I can see him going.

Olly Cracknell - 12/05/22 signed, last year was our 2nd choice at 6, 7 or 8. Now Hatherall & Rogerson seem to have leapfrogged him as he's been injured, with Ilione and Carnduff coming through I suspect he may leave for more gametime elsewhere come renewal and a lot of our initial contracts are either 2 years or 2+1 in which case he may be looking.

Phil Cokansigna - 12/05/22 signed, again if he's on a 2 year or 2+1 deal I'm not sure he's done enough to stay as yet. The likes of Woodward and Cusick coming up fast, is there a spot for him, not sure we keep him unless other centres are off.

Francois Van Wyk - 08/03/21 signed, onto the 50:50's so he signed 3 years ago, Loosehead is probably the position we may be looking at a headline signing, if that's the case we have 3 players (Whitcombe, Cronin & Van Wyk) essentially going into 2 positions. If Cronin stays fit it's probably Van Wyk who misses out. There is the chance we stay as is and don't sign a Loosehead too...

Matt Scott - 01/02/22 re-signed, if he's on a 2+1 deal he's likely up for debate, probably more 55-45 he'll stay than true 50:50, I am very nearly moving him to probably staying...

James Cronin - 12/05/22 signed, see above notes with Van Wyk, if on a 2+1 deal he may go if we deem him too injury prone but for me he stays if we think he'll be fit.

Handrè Pollard - 07/12/21 signed, our Marquee signing, especially with Atkinson being released I think we're confident he'll be here bext year whether that be because he doesn't need to extend or because we think he's nailed down now I'm not sure.

Tommy Reffell - 06/07/20 re-signed, ages since he re-signed what was almost certainly a rolling contract, but that was before it even became 25 caps for Wales so he either stays here with a rolling contract (probably gets to 25 caps by summer 25 so can be re-signed), moves to Wales for a pay cut or goes elsewhere losing Wales eligibility. For me he'll almost certainly stay.

Matt Rogerson - 04/07/23 signed, reckon it's him or Cracknell leaving this season, but think we'll keep Rogerson based off apparent pecking order, that can change as Cracknell continues his return post injury.

Dan Richardson - 24/01/23 re-signed, only signed last year, he is cost effective cover both sides of the scrum, we'll surely only let him go should someone like a De Bruin come in who is a better standard of cover both sides.

Josh Bassett - 25/01/23 signed, probably on a 2 year deal, so unlikely he'll but go but if Watson & OHC stay fit, might he go for a bit more time somewhere, unlikely but possible

Nic Dolly - 01/02/22 re-signed, probably will stay, but with Vanes and Theobald-Thomas both doing well, he'll be itching to get back on the field given of our hookers he signed longest ago...

Hanro Liebenberg - 01/02/22 re-signed, just can't see him leaving, but may sign an extension, very unlikely to go, but in the criteria of maybe needing an extension as if on a 2 year deal, that said, someone so important, surely a 2+1 deal minimum..

Dan Cole - 24/01/23 re-signed, unlikely IMO but possible he retires.

As you can see I think there will be a lot of squad stability into next season, not many likely to go, which also means not many incomings...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:13 pm As you can see I think there will be a lot of squad stability into next season, not many likely to go, which also means not many incomings...
Hallelujah
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

ourla wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:31 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:13 pm As you can see I think there will be a lot of squad stability into next season, not many likely to go, which also means not many incomings...
Hallelujah
I can see there being a general shrinking of the squad based on the number of games to be played and so I can see a few going without being replaced. Just feel we are going to be a bit more ruthless about player's chances of developing and being part of the squad.

Will also be intrigued to see the new player release agreement with England as that could very much impact how much cover we need for international periods.
Lutontiger

Post by Lutontiger »

Wouldn’t want Matt Scott to leave. He’s a good player and has a positive effect on those around him.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

GB72 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:53 pm
Hallelujah
I can see there being a general shrinking of the squad based on the number of games to be played and so I can see a few going without being replaced. Just feel we are going to be a bit more ruthless about player's chances of developing and being part of the squad.

Will also be intrigued to see the new player release agreement with England as that could very much impact how much cover we need for international periods.
Yeah I think there will be a few from the senior Academy going, when it comes to being ruthless on people making it. I've not done a list of them but there's a few names that stand out that may be running out of opportunities at Tigers.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:13 pm
GB72 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:53 pm
Hallelujah

Yeah I think there will be a few from the senior Academy going, when it comes to being ruthless on people making it. I've not done a list of them but there's a few names that stand out that may be running out of opportunities at Tigers.
I also look at the amount of injuries in the backs at the moment and we have have not looked to bring through anyone even to warm the bench for emergencies when we have been willing to do that in the forwards. Now, it may be injuries, it may be that some players are nearly ready to step up but not quite or it may be that we had wanted a 6-2 split on the bench but to me it looks like a slight aversion to throw any of the current crop of backs in at the deep end when they should be knocking on the door to get in the squad.
Terracetiger4
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Terracetiger4 »

Sorry but off topic if retention and leavers… but just seen bath and sale are after Mason Grady if I was tigers I’d be working my nuts off to sign him. He’s exactly what we’re missing at outside centre.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Terracetiger4 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:38 am Sorry but off topic if retention and leavers… but just seen bath and sale are after Mason Grady if I was tigers I’d be working my nuts off to sign him. He’s exactly what we’re missing at outside centre.
Has spent this season mostly playing on the wing. Handy versatility for a big lad.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Hope we don’t let Scott go as he’s our best 13 in my opinion. Cracknell is ok but would prefer to use Illione more which would save money also. Probably can afford to let Carter go and utilise Chessum the younger.
A2O
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:11 am Hope we don’t let Scott go as he’s our best 13 in my opinion. Cracknell is ok but would prefer to use Illione more which would save money also. Probably can afford to let Carter go and utilise Chessum the younger.
Chessum L is very much a work in progress I believe. Certainly he didn't stand out playing in Nat 1 for the Lions. Nowhere near ready for the Prem.
Soggypitch
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Soggypitch wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:17 am
ay2oh wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:11 am Hope we don’t let Scott go as he’s our best 13 in my opinion. Cracknell is ok but would prefer to use Illione more which would save money also. Probably can afford to let Carter go and utilise Chessum the younger.
Chessum L is very much a work in progress I believe. Certainly he didn't stand out playing in Nat 1 for the Lions. Nowhere near ready for the Prem.
An ideal candidate for the PRC though, IMHO.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Pellsey wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:25 am
Soggypitch wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:17 am
An ideal candidate for the PRC though, IMHO.
Might be good enough with a full first team around him though
A2O