Tigers v Saracens (H) - Premiership - Saturday 06th January 2024 - KO- 3-05pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Tigers v Saracens (H) - Premiership - Saturday 06th January 2024 - KO- 3-05pm

Post by WirralExile »

WirralExile wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:07 pm I saw a young Sarries fan stood on the barrier at the Europcar end of the pitch, supported by his dad, holding up a home made poster saying "Owen please leave". Given how much has been written about the abuse OF has received in the past few months and the recent speculation of his departure for France, I felt this was really inappropriate. And coming from an apparent Sarries fan!
Seems that the angle I viewed the home made poster from obscured the word "don't".
I did think it odd at the time, especially with the young fan calling Owen over.

OF didn't seem on his game yesterday at times, some wayward passes etc. The team will miss him if he leaves. He's been a very loyal servant of the club through good and bad times.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saracens (H) - Premiership - Saturday 06th January 2024 - KO- 3-05pm

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

WirralExile wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:01 am
WirralExile wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:07 pm I saw a young Sarries fan stood on the barrier at the Europcar end of the pitch, supported by his dad, holding up a home made poster saying "Owen please leave". Given how much has been written about the abuse OF has received in the past few months and the recent speculation of his departure for France, I felt this was really inappropriate. And coming from an apparent Sarries fan!
Seems that the angle I viewed the home made poster from obscured the word "don't".
I did think it odd at the time, especially with the young fan calling Owen over.

OF didn't seem on his game yesterday at times, some wayward passes etc. The team will miss him if he leaves. He's been a very loyal servant of the club through good and bad times.
As well as a huge benefactor from it too, both from a playing perspective but also hugely financially. He was one of the main beneficiaries of their benefits outside the cap.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

https://www.planetrugby.com/news/leices ... st-efforts

Here's another rugby journo who doesn't know the laws of the game he's writing about. Ridiculous. At least Google it to check you're not writing nonsense before you go to print.

Law 20 (12) & (13) if anyone's wondering.

When a penalty or free-kick is awarded, the opposing team must immediately retreat 10 metres towards their own goal line or until they have reached their goal line if that is closer.

Even if the penalty or free-kick is taken quickly and the kicker’s team is playing the ball, opposing players must keep retreating the necessary distance. They may not take part in the game until they have done so.

Pretty simple, isn't it? Almost every instance of confusion about the game and abuse of referees comes from journos, pundits and commentators talking drivel - pretty appalling lack of knowledge of their supposed profession.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:58 am https://www.planetrugby.com/news/leices ... st-efforts

Here's another rugby journo who doesn't know the laws of the game he's writing about. Ridiculous. At least Google it to check you're not writing nonsense before you go to print.

When a penalty or free-kick is awarded, the opposing team must immediately retreat 10 metres towards their own goal line or until they have reached their goal line if that is closer.

Even if the penalty or free-kick is taken quickly and the kicker’s team is playing the ball, opposing players must keep retreating the necessary distance. They may not take part in the game until they have done so.

Pretty simple, isn't it? Almost every instance of confusion about the game and abuse of referees comes from journos, pundits and commentators talking drivel - pretty appalling lack of knowledge of their supposed profession.
Given his credentials and history in rugby it seems a very odd mistake to be making and publishing.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:58 am https://www.planetrugby.com/news/leices ... st-efforts

Poor journalism is rife these days! Unfortunately you can only believe half of what you read and none of what your hear :smt017
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Agree should have been a penalty try. If you take Itoje’s tackle out of the equation, there was no other player who was on side and in a position to make a tackle.

A token 2 metre retreat is not enough.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

The worst part of it is that there will be loads of fans on social media having a go at Pearce for that "mistake", because the media have wrongly criticised him, and that same media will condemn the abuse that they've caused.

They need to take more responsibility for the accuracy of their reporting.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Bptiger25 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:28 am Just on Jasper , gee I would love to see the club try and keep him , he will be near impossible to replace , is it a done deal he is gone , and if so any news on who we may be chasing.
Jasper is an awesome player and competitor - but when a career can end in seconds - especially the manner in which he plays - no one can begrudge him taking an offer that secures him and his family. Firstly may I wish him well , then hope at some stage in the future we see him represent The Club again..
Let us remember though that when he signed he was not the player he has become - there will not be another Jasper Wiese at Leicester Tigers - but who knows, there may be, and we will find another who can grow into a giant...
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Jasper has admitted Tigers made him into the Superstar he is: when he first came he gave away a lot of unnecessary penalties and didn’t always look after the ball very well but you could see the potential to be a great player! Borthwick, Sinfield and all the coaches and Jasper’s willingness to learn turned him into a Tigers’ Legend. He owes us nothing.
Good luck and best wishes to Jasper and his family.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:30 pm
sk 88 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:44 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:09 pm

Seemed relatively innocuous at the time but he did seem to be carrying it but braved it out for some time. Good job we've got an experienced fullback turned wing to turn on if he is struggling
Relatively innocuous? He was carrying it from the first minute when Cinti planted him directly on it from a great height & should have seen red!
I don't think it was that incident that caused it. It was after he beat a couple of players after chasing back the kick from their half to near our line. I may be wrong. That was the first time that the TV showed him holding his left arm as though he'd done some damage.

IMHO - I thought that the aerial challenge was a fair contest just with a bad outcome.
He was holding it gingerly from the first contact, TV might not have shown it but you could see it live.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Tigris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tigris »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:31 am This is not me forgetting about Weise straight away but imo Roos has more potential than Jasper. That would be an incredible signing!
Think Roos is tied up until 2025?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tigris wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:06 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:31 am This is not me forgetting about Weise straight away but imo Roos has more potential than Jasper. That would be an incredible signing!
Think Roos is tied up until 2025?
Certainly looks that way unless it's a 3 year with an option of a fourth or something like that.

The Stormers have had financial issues previously though and as recently as a few weeks back new investment was confirmed to help with cash flow. Might be that given some of their options they might let Roos go to free up funds.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Can't help wondering if, with the quality of Sarries play, their position in the league, the departures in recent times plus the rumoured loss of Farrell, the advantages of cheating on the salary cap may finally be tapering out.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

loretta wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:17 pm Can't help wondering if, with the quality of Sarries play, their position in the league, the departures in recent times plus the rumoured loss of Farrell, the advantages of cheating on the salary cap may finally be tapering out.
Interesting interpretation. Could well be right.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:23 pm
loretta wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:17 pm Can't help wondering if, with the quality of Sarries play, their position in the league, the departures in recent times plus the rumoured loss of Farrell, the advantages of cheating on the salary cap may finally be tapering out.
Interesting interpretation. Could well be right.
They have an excellent coaching team and had the core of the England team. A very good combination. The salary cheating allowed them to be outstanding.

The set up hasn’t changed so they will always be near the top but doubt they will ever dominate again- the league is too even.