LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by ay2oh »

MCC1964 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:05 pm Well, unless his grammar is particularly bad, I would have thought ‘Loving every minute’ would be more appropriate if he wanted to tell us he was staying.
It says “ loved every minute of it” so past tense
A2O
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Yes, I know. That’s my point.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:16 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:07 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:03 pm Ok weird point...

Brown has posted the same thing on Instagram

Anthony Watson has commented tagging Max Ojomoh

Exact quote is

@maxojomoh LATERS
Does that suggest we are signing Ojomoh ?
It's been suggested by John Wiffen on Twitter that it's in reference to Brown beating Ojomoh to score a try in one of the pics which makes sense
Yes it does. Far too cryptic for an old fool like me
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:05 pm
CrumblingTerrace wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:52 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:19 pm I have read a number of comments questioning his signing, admittedly from the usual suspects, not yourself
:smt039 I'm one of them.

He was a mainstay of the L.Irish back row and their captain, so I was expecting him to be more of a challenger to Hanro, but I haven't seen that. To my (untrained) eye, he's a little under powered. Sometimes those sorts make up for it with agility and finesse - like Tom Croft - but I don't think he's that either.
He wasn’t in Irish first pick for approximately their last 18 months but was club captain and played in PRC. He was signed for his experience and back up he was never going to challenge Liebenberg
Rogerson was certainly a first choice for LI. He only made 2 PRC apps across those final two seasons too, both in '21/22. A bit of an odd take even if Rogerson hasn't excelled for Tigers yet.

22/23 - 17 starts, 18 apps
21/22 - 22 starts, 24 apps

He was their nailed on starting blindside in '21/22 when Tuisue was still there. Pearson and Gonzalez largely shared the 7 shirt that season. He had the most starts that season in the back row for LI by a distance.

Then he had the second most starts in the back row in '22/23 after Pearson. The game time there being split across 6 and 8. The only significant spell he was absent was due to injury in October and November between R5-10.

I guess if you're really stretching the meaning of "first pick" then So'otala got 13 starts at 8 that season. Whilst Gonzalez and Pearson are top players. So if you really wanted to reach then 6.Gonzalez 7.Pearson 8.So'otala could've been their hypothetical strongest back row. They only played 1 game together though. Rogerson was at 6 for all of the games So'otala started outside of that period where he was injured.

I think by any reasonable definition he was a first pick.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

My apologies I am happy to stand corrected in my mind Gonzalez and Pearson were their starting flankers.
Imo though he was only ever going to be back up to Liebenberg though a good quality one as he showed v Bath
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Agree with the earlier poster who said we’re probably gonna lose another backrower. 24/25 season we’ll have:

6. Liebenberg
7. Reffell, Illione
8. New signing, Hatherell

Plus Chessum can cover six too. That leaves Rogerson or Cracknell. Whilst I’ve rated Rogerson in the six role, Cracknell probably gives more versatility being able to cover 6-8 to a higher standard. He’s also better at the breakdown.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Interesting to note that Charles Richardson's recent ranking of the top 20 U.K.-based rugby union players (in the Telegraph) includes 6 Tigers! Messers Pollard, Montoya, Wiese, Steward, Martin and Watson. Apologies if this has been reported on earlier in the forum.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Part of me thinks the whole Brown thing is a wind up. Pictures of him training this week, no announcement from the club just a cryptic post from the player.

Fully expect a follow up along the lines of 'Loved every minute, which is why I have signed up for a new contract' and for his name to be on the team sheet at 12.00 today with a formal announcement in the team reveal press release.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

GB72 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 am Part of me thinks the whole Brown thing is a wind up. Pictures of him training this week, no announcement from the club just a cryptic post from the player.

Fully expect a follow up along the lines of 'Loved every minute, which is why I have signed up for a new contract' and for his name to be on the team sheet at 12.00 today with a formal announcement in the team reveal press release.
They already have announced it was a wind up and he's staying
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:05 am
GB72 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 am Part of me thinks the whole Brown thing is a wind up. Pictures of him training this week, no announcement from the club just a cryptic post from the player.

Totally missed that. That is good news
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

GB72 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:08 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:05 am

Totally missed that. That is good news
Tbf it was only announced 2min before your post lol

Best bit is it has confirmed it is "beyond this season" so likely next season also
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Thank goodness re Brown.
From what I have heard and seen he is an asset in any capacity
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Very happy with that. His drive is exactly what Tigers need at the moment.

As said, maybe not first choice any more, but rugby players have injuries, and Brown as a 2nd or 3rd choice in 3 positions (now!), is really not a bad thing!

His experience can be extremely useful for the youngsters, especially in the PRC.