Tigers v Saracens (H) - Premiership - Saturday 06th January 2024 - KO- 3-05pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saracens (H) - Premiership - Saturday 06th January 2024 - KO- 3-05pm

Post by Rugbygramps »

fentiger wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:12 am
sam16111986 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:15 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:51 pm Think I’m right in saying Lozowski is on their injured list and the have been playing Tompkins slightly out of position recently. Daley could be another option
That's right Lozowski injured, Tompkins moved over to 13 to accommodate Hartley the young inside centre formerly of Wasps. He's a big lad with a lot of potential.
So, they’re in a bit of a jam, then?
OK, I’m getting my coat…. 😂
Or looking for a book on fly fishing :smt046
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Saracens (H) - Premiership - Saturday 06th January 2024 - KO- 3-05pm

Post by KiwiTig »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:44 pm Saturday really does depend on who's fit - in some positions we really are at the point of "if you're fit, you play." The beauty of having a big squad with decent depth that we're just about coping with them all.

Forwards for me would be Cronin, Montoya, Cole, Chessum, Martin, Hanro, Reffell and Wiese - first time we get what i'd call our first choice pack onto the field. Backs are much trickier, I think Lenny plays, and maybe Watson or Bassett too. If Scott is fit i think i would start him over Kata, the lesson from the first game v Sarries was that Kata had a huge impact off the bench in the last 20. I think i like Scotty starting for his defensive expertise, with Kata off the bench for the impact.
I agree he will pick his best forwards without a doubt and also what’s the best of the fittest in the backs…I also expect little change from the 23 that achieved victory v Bath and possibly why he rotated so early to give players game time
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/Saracens/status/174 ... iLWRA&s=19

Vunipola red card upheld so misses the Tigers game.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:13 pm https://twitter.com/Saracens/status/174 ... iLWRA&s=19

Vunipola red card upheld so misses the Tigers game.
As previously mentioned with Maui injured and West following HIA protocol could mean Logo in the 1 shirt
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

It's a good sign as to Kata being fully fit that the new promotion for the game is fronted by him.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

I'm afraid not - those promos are done weeks in advance
Less is more....
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

however, McKellars comment that they had to drag him off with the game in the bag may mean it was more precautionary than anything else - hopefully anyway as we are thin in the centres
Less is more....
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Kata was strapped up by the physio on the pitch, but removed it all when sat in the dugout. Read into that what you will
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

loretta wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:28 am Kata was strapped up by the physio on the pitch, but removed it all when sat in the dugout. Read into that what you will
Looked like he felt a twinge but was ok to stay on with strapping. Word came down from the stand to say due to the match situation it was ok to finish with 14 players so he came off and took strapping off to ice
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Leicester Tigers have named the team for Saturday’s Gallagher Premiership clash against Saracens at Mattioli Woods Welford Road (kick-off: 3.00pm).

Round 11 sees Tigers Head Coach Dan McKellar name his first unchanged starting side of the season, with Ben Youngs coming on to the bench after recovering from the injury that ruled him out of last Sunday’s victory over Bath Rugby.

Captain Julián Montoya plays his 50th game for Leicester with scrum-half Tom Whiteley reaching 20 appearances in Tigers colours.

Previewing the game, Leicester Tigers Head Coach Dan McKellar said: “Saturday’s another big challenge for us but it’s great to be home again in front of 20,000-plus of our supporters and families.”

“The group that started against Bath came out with the required physical intent and were excellent for 45 minutes, so we’ve rewarded that, but we know we’ll have to be good for the 80 this week.”

STARTING XV
15 Freddie Steward [79]
14 Harry Simmons [36]
13 Dan Kelly [70]
12 Solomone Kata [9]
11 Mike Brown [18]
10 Handré Pollard [22]
9 Tom Whiteley [19]
1 James Cronin [24]
2 Julián Montoya (c) [49] *
3 Joe Heyes [134]
4 George Martin [71]
5 Ollie Chessum [50]
6 Matt Rogerson [12]
7 Tommy Reffell [107]
8 Jasper Wiese [68]

REPLACEMENTS
16 Finn Theobold-Thomas [4]
17 Francois van Wyk [43]
18 Will Hurd [35]
19 Harry Wells [187]
20 Kyle Hatherell [10]
21 Olly Cracknell [31]
22 Ben Youngs [308]
23 Jamie Shillcock [15]
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Rare these days to have an unchanged XV.

6-2 split on the bench.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Saracens Men team to play Leicester Tigers:

1 Sam Crean
2 Kapeli Pifeleti
3 Christian Judge
4 Maro Itoje
5 Hugh Tizard
6 Theo McFarland
7 Juan Martin Gonzalez
8 Ben Earl
9 Gareth Simpson
10 Owen Farrell (c)
11 Lucio Cinti
12 Nick Tompkins
13 Elliot Daly
14 Rotimi Segun
15 Tom Parton

Replacements:
16 Theo Dan
17 Logovi’i Mulipola
18 Ollie Hoskins
19 Nick Isiekwe
20 Andy Christie
21 Ivan van Zyl
22 Manu Vunipola
23 Alex Lewington
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

ROTIMI SEGUN SAYS THERE IS GREAT CALMNESS AMONGST THE SQUAD AS SARACENS MEN HEAD IN TO A POTENTIALLY SEASON-DEFINING MONTH.
The Men in Black head to Mattioli Woods Welford Road on Saturday to face Leicester Tigers in a crucial Gallagher Premiership match, before the return of Investec Champions Cup action for the next fortnight.

Sarries are buoyed by their bonus-point win over Newcastle last weekend, and they welcome back a wealth of experience for the trip to Leicester with just three points separating the top six teams in the league table.

The coaches have freshened up the starting line-up after the Falcons win, and head to the Midlands knowing that a victory would put them in a strong position ahead of the European break.

Sam Crean makes his first start of the league season at loosehead, and he has Kapeli Pifeleti and Christian Judge for company in the front-row.

Maro Itoje and Hugh Tizard combine in a heavyweight second-row, with an athletic back-row of Theo McFarland, Juan Martin Gonzalez and Ben Earl.

Gareth Simpson gets the nod in the nine shirt after impressing recently off the bench, and captain Owen Farrell returns at fly-half.

Nick Tompkins is back in the midfield with Elliot Daly next to him, and a pacy back-three of Lucio Cinti, Segun and Tom Parton will look to capitalise on any chances that come their way.

On the bench Logovi’i Mulipola will take on his former side, and Nick Isiekwe can add yet more dynamism when called upon.

Segun, who marked his return with a Player of the Match display against Newcastle says the squad know the significance of the next few weeks.

“There is a good calmness around the group, we’re just taking it game by game. The league is unbelievably tough this year but we’re looking forward to each challenge coming up.

“It was a long 12 weeks out but was so nice to get back out there. We bounced back against Newcastle which is exactly what we asked for.”

Saracens Men team to play Leicester Tigers:

1 Sam Crean
2 Kapeli Pifeleti
3 Christian Judge
4 Maro Itoje
5 Hugh Tizard
6 Theo McFarland
7 Juan Martin Gonzalez
8 Ben Earl

9 Gareth Simpson
10 Owen Farrell (c)
11 Lucio Cinti
12 Nick Tompkins
13 Elliot Daly
14 Rotimi Segun
15 Tom Parton

Replacements:
16 Theo Dan
17 Logovi’i Mulipola
18 Ollie Hoskins
19 Nick Isiekwe
20 Andy Christie
21 Ivan van Zyl
22 Manu Vunipola
23 Alex Lewington
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/conten ... -officials

Leicester Tigers v Saracens (Mattioli Woods Welford Road) - kick-off 3.05pm

Referee: Luke Pearce

Assistant Referees: Harry Walbaum and Jonathan Healy

TMO: Dean Richards
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

A win would tighten things up nicely but boy this will be tough.