Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Bath (H) - Premiership - Sunday 31st December 2023 - KO 3-00pm

Post by sam16111986 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:19 pm
mol2 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:18 pm I am not convinced over our use of subs?
Why make a tactical substitution using your last sub unless you are behind and need to change something.

This was dome when we had a player down injured and being strapped up.

Then Kata had to come off.

Surely the sensible option is to save your last sub until the last 5 minutes just in case?
The seriousness of the player being strapped up would have been communicated to the coaches and considered in part of the sub process
The only sub back replaced Simmonds who'd been out of action for a while before playing yesterday. I'd agree the coaches knew more about the relative fitness of the players than we do.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

No6_Flanker wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:05 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:52 pm
Tiglon wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:43 pm I've been very impressed with Whiteley as third choice.

It's a bit odd to complain that he's not as good as Youngs or JVP, that's literally the point of having him.
And that’s the key he is 3rd choice with lots of premiership experience
He made one great cover tackle against Bath and another in a previous game. Just needs to increase the consistency of his box kicks and settle in a bit, as he has got a decent running game in him.

Perfect for a third choice SH to work with Edwards.
I thought Whiteley did fine. Simmons too. Given all the injuries and backs playing in unfamiliar positions, there was a lack of fluency, but it was good enough. I do like what Kata brings which is a real threat at centre, requiring multiple opponents to tackle and creating defensive holes to exploit.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:01 pm Most of what I've seen on social lays the blame at Sir's door and that Bath were the better side and deserved the win. Each to their own....
That's a tad unfair I would say. I think many acknowledged they were overpowered in the first half but felt some key decisions took away any chance of a contest. I thought the Steward tackle would be more severely punished for example.

Had it been a closer contest I doubt we would have made so many changes, so early and become looser so I don't think it ultimately would have changed anything.

I think our squad depth is a little better than Bath's but at this point I don't see either us or Bath as title challengers. Both also work in progress so who knows.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

It was mentioned regarding Kata that by him being 1st carrier and as others have said tying in multiple defenders it allows Wiese, Martin, Liebenberg to be the 2nd carrier off quick ball to punch bigger holes in the opposing defence
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

But the difference is that when we were languishing at the bottom of the table, we and the press knew it was us that were pants.

Bath spent most of the past couple of seasons in the lower reaches of the table yet the press have them out as a wonder side like Quins.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

mol2 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:30 pm But the difference is that when we were languishing at the bottom of the table, we and the press knew it was us that were pants.

Bath spent most of the past couple of seasons in the lower reaches of the table yet the press have them out as a wonder side like Quins.
Yeah and the way Mullins & Co kept on about how they are 'challenging on several fronts' ground my gears! Forgive me, aren't Tigers, Saints, Exeter, Saracens etc etc also 'challenging on several fronts'? :smt017
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Yes and Tigers are still in the premiership cup
A2O
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

ay2oh wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:58 pm Yes and Tigers are still in the premiership cup
Precisely! For me, and I've said this before, Mullins is getting lazy in both commentary and research. Don't get me started on Doyle, Monye and Dayglo! :smt009