Harry Simmons

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Harry Simmons

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:34 pm I think you're getting a bit too Schrodinger for a rugby forum. If you follow your logic then you could say the same about any rugby player when they aren't actually playing. For example, George Martin was a very good rugby player last Saturday, and may well prove to be one again this Saturday. Until that happens no one can say for certain what he currently is, I mean he may well have turned into a cat since we last saw him, until proven how do we know?

Or alternatively, we can say with a pretty high degree of certainty that George Martin is not a cat and Anthony Watson is a very good rugby player. We can't be 100% sure, but 99.9999% is probably close enough, right?
I guess the missing 0.00001% must be down to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle :smt003
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:59 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:34 pm I think you're getting a bit too Schrodinger for a rugby forum. If you follow your logic then you could say the same about any rugby player when they aren't actually playing. For example, George Martin was a very good rugby player last Saturday, and may well prove to be one again this Saturday. Until that happens no one can say for certain what he currently is, I mean he may well have turned into a cat since we last saw him, until proven how do we know?

Or alternatively, we can say with a pretty high degree of certainty that George Martin is not a cat and Anthony Watson is a very good rugby player. We can't be 100% sure, but 99.9999% is probably close enough, right?
I guess the missing 0.00001% must be down to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle :smt003
Heisenberg? Hell, yeah Mr White :smt044 :smt023
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:41 pm
fentiger wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:49 pm Doing himself no harm this afternoon :smt023
Agreed. Looked good both sides of the ball. Replacement was down to lack of match time I thing
I think so too. Sensible management.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I hope we have still kept him up to date with the Scrum half work, nothing much just some occasional passing and box kicking.
Wouldn't be the worse bench option ATM with YBY and JVP potentially out.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:35 pm I hope we have still kept him up to date with the Scrum half work, nothing much just some occasional passing and box kicking.
Wouldn't be the worse bench option ATM with YBY and JVP potentially out.
Thanks for reminding me. Austin made an interesting comment during the match. You'd think it'd be logical to keep him in practice as a 9, but I don't think there's every been any evidence of this in training footage, photos, or in match day 23s.

Austin mentioned he'd had a serious shoulder injury though which may explain why he's not doing so. I presume he was alluding to the fact it probably affects his passing, which is obviously more important and a repeated skill at 9 than it is on the wing/15.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I guess he clearly has the gas to play on the wing as well as a good step and we probably need wings more than a scrum half.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

mol2 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:27 pm I guess he clearly has the gas to play on the wing as well as a good step and we probably need wings more than a scrum half.
To be fair, I think Sunday was the first time I've only seen us warming up with only two scrum halves and two hookers and no one warming up in reserve - certainly in a home match.

As I've said before, he's not worn a 9 shirt for years and I doubt we'll see him in one again.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:06 pm
mol2 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:27 pm I guess he clearly has the gas to play on the wing as well as a good step and we probably need wings more than a scrum half.
To be fair, I think Sunday was the first time I've only seen us warming up with only two scrum halves and two hookers and no one warming up in reserve - certainly in a home match.

As I've said before, he's not worn a 9 shirt for years and I doubt we'll see him in one again.
I found it interesting that JVP was pictured in the junior tiger club in civies rather than warming up
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:10 pm

I found it interesting that JVP was pictured in the junior tiger club in civies rather than warming up
It was stated he had a minor setback to his recovery
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:48 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:10 pm

It was stated he had a minor setback to his recovery
Explains Whitely being subbed against Bath, he is likely to be needed against Saracens even if Lenny is back
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:47 pm I think posters need to get the view on Brown accurate. If it was an unlimited budget it’s a no brainier, but it isn’t.
Common consensus is that his contract ran out yesterday, so if he’s staying an extension is required which could be related to Charlie Atkinsons early departure
I think that posters have got your view on the Brown situation very accurate. You do seem to have a large bee in your bonnet as you've stated it in various ways multiple times on multiple threads. Nothing wrong with your view or the need to sometimes repeat it. IMHO youve done it to death however 🥱. Other opinions (than mine) are available.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:36 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:47 pm I think posters need to get the view on Brown accurate. If it was an unlimited budget it’s a no brainier, but it isn’t.
Common consensus is that his contract ran out yesterday, so if he’s staying an extension is required which could be related to Charlie Atkinsons early departure
I think that posters have got your view on the Brown situation very accurate. You do seem to have a large bee in your bonnet as you've stated it in various ways multiple times on multiple threads. Nothing wrong with your view or the need to sometimes repeat it. IMHO youve done it to death however 🥱. Other opinions (than mine) are available.
I have always said keep Brown if the contract length and cost are appropriate. I shall say no more heaven forbid I offend
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:46 pm
Cagey Tiger wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:36 pm
I have always said keep Brown if the contract length and cost are appropriate. I shall say no more heaven forbid I offend
As indicated in my post. No offence taken
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Back to Simmons he seemed to have bulked up on his top half from what I remember, hadn’t affected his pace though
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Going back to the permanent switch to wing/15, it was during the Covid period that he changed. He last played at SH for Tigers in the last match before Covid, away at Sarries. Every appearance since has been at 11/14/23.