Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Bath (H) - Premiership - Sunday 31st December 2023 - KO 3-00pm

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:05 pm
Greenwhiteandred wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:55 pm
Old Hob wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:52 pm

I wouldn't go that far. Their defence has been ok and will be better now they have 15 again; their backs have the capacity to turn it on and we have the capacity to be complete muppets.
The stats would disagree - we’ve dominated the game.
And then we went sleepy.
Agreed
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

First half was great and job done.
To be honest the conditions second half changed: I was surprised how windy and wet it was pitchside.
Mike Brown immense. Steward good under the high ball but his passing went awol at times but that may have been down to the weather in the second half.
Bath missing quite a few but so we’re we and both Bath’s half backs played quite a lot last year. Thought Bailey in particular was very good for them.
Reffing of the lineout second half was poor but Bath did a good job getting away with things.
Kata and Pollard lost their heads at one point but luckily I don’t think TV spotted it but obviously I was there so I stand to be corrected.
Job done.
Need some players back as Sarries rested alot yesterday and have better depth in their squad than us! ( hard to tell with out squad as this season we just seem to have lots out every game.) Scott hugely missed in the centre but Simmons and Brown hunted down their backs very well.
GOT TO KEEP MIKE BROWN.
Nookes

Post by Nookes »

MIKE BROWN was immense could easily have been MoM. We Must keep him!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Re Pollard and Kata tv pictures weren’t great but looked like Pollard and a Bath player, possibly their 7, were involved in a scuffle on the floor and Kata comes in and pushes the Bath player off Pollard.
It seemed that Kata made contact with the torso, but as I say the angle wasn’t great
albany
Tiger Cub

Post by albany »

From the Crumbie; Cloete (Bath 7) decided to have a go at Pollard, pinned him to the floor and there was a bit of throat-grabbing and face-palming until Kata shoulder charged him off. It was a bit more than push and shove but nothing citing-worthy.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Nookes wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:53 pm MIKE BROWN was immense could easily have been MoM. We Must keep him!
First time in his professional career Brown had started on the wing. Pass from Whitely for his try was very similar to one Lenny gave to Reffell? to score a try in that same corner
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Ian Cant wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:50 pm
Kata and Pollard lost their heads at one point but luckily I don’t think TV spotted it but obviously I was there so I stand to be corrected.
It was spotted. Eagle eyed Austin not only spotted it but was heard to comment “Kata comes in with a dangerous swinging arm”, then realised that it wasn’t a swinging arm and not as bad as he’d thought, but then him and Dallaglio commented “I’d be surprised if that wasn’t looked at” - nudge nudge, have a look, nudge nudge, blah blah citing blah blah” Pathetic really.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:39 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:50 pm
It was spotted. Eagle eyed Austin not only spotted it but was heard to comment “Kata comes in with a dangerous swinging arm”, then realised that it wasn’t a swinging arm and not as bad as he’d thought, but then him and Dallaglio commented “I’d be surprised if that wasn’t looked at” - nudge nudge, have a look, nudge nudge, blah blah citing blah blah” Pathetic really.
Should have been a penalty for Tigers. The Bath player keeps Pollard down off the ball far longer than was necessary. Kata sorting it out is just logical to get on with the game. Cloete didn't seem particularly fussed which is normally a good indication there was nothing in it.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Nookes wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:53 pm MIKE BROWN was immense could easily have been MoM. We Must keep him!
He was solid. Got stuck in as per usual. I'd definitely keep him but wasn't close to man of match for me. Chessum was probably man of the match for me.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

For the record Tigers first team achieved a try bonus win over Bath first team. We for various reasons did not select some players I would have changed they been available and the Bath coaches did the same. We have now done the double over Bath without actually playing well, handling still needs work but as a team we are getting there,, Exeter was a poor performance but that is behind us today was a decent effort that showed we still.have work to do but we do have players who when fit will improve our team.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:32 pm
First time in his professional career Brown had started on the wing. Pass from Whitely for his try was very similar to one Lenny gave to Reffell? to score a try in that same corner
Not quite, first start on the wing for us on the wing in the prem.

He's started 5 other games on the wing in his professional career.

He's started wing for Tigers 2 weeks ago in the Champions Cup vs Stade (after the injury to Hassell-Collins, so Atkinson moved to 15 he started 11 then.

He started 4 consecutive games there in 2018 (3 test maches against SA in the June then Quins first prem game of the next season)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:25 pm

He's started wing for Tigers 2 weeks ago in the Champions Cup vs Stade (after the injury to Hassell-Collins, so Atkinson moved to 15 he started 11 then.

He started 4 consecutive games there in 2018 (3 test maches against SA in the June then Quins first prem game of the next season)
Wasn't he on the wing v Wales in one game too?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Another good showing from Tom Whiteley. I wasn't convinced by him at the start, but he looks a dependable 3rd choice SH now.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:42 am Another good showing from Tom Whiteley. I wasn't convinced by him at the start, but he looks a dependable 3rd choice SH now.

Well if he could improve his box kicking and stop trying to run through brick walls it would help. That said he did very well to get back , catch and run the ball out of touch otherwise it was a nailed on Bath try.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:25 pm

Thank you for the clarification. My first comment came from Mullins commentary who I misquoted he said it was his first premiership start on the wing, but that seems incorrect too. No matter he acquitted himself well.
Mullins also said it was the first time Chessum and Martin had been selected to start at lock together, but I’m doubting hat now too