Other matches - 29-31st December 2023

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Other matches - 29-31st December 2023

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:42 pm Hadn’t realised that Mako was red carded yesterday for shoulder to head tackle. West likely to be their starting loose head next week
Might be interesting as according to a report, West went off for a HIA hence Mako being on at 80mins.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:03 am
Tiglon wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:19 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:47 am Marcus Smith was exceptional for Quins again yesterday, that’s 3 player of the match performances including one v Racing away.
Question is will that be enough for Borthwick to change his game plan and build a back line around Smith or is he going to ask him to play a game that is unnatural for him.
At home to Gloucester, after coming off firmly second best against Finn Russell. I'm sure it's the question the media will be asking, but until Smith's kicking game is consistently on a par with Farrell's and Ford's in big matches, I don't see him being the right person. Goose steps don't win test matches.
Agree to disagree. IMO his overall game has come on a lot since the World Cup. Goose steps might not do it but pace and game awareness do. He is often at his best as second receiver and having Slade alongside him would give that option.
Unsure if you mean overall kicking or at the posts but none of them are much above mid 60% at present.
I haven’t been much of a fan but past month for me his overall game has moved up a level
Overall kicking - more from hand than anything else. South Africa were heading out of the World Cup against a fairly average England team until Pollard came on, because kicking ability at 10 is more important than fancy hands or running.

That's why countries will keep coming back to the Pollards, Fords and Farrells, even if they do succumb to the temptation of a flashy Smith or Libbok every now and then.

I do agree that Slade needs to be returned to at least the squad, and Smith should be a part of it, but starting him against the likes of Ireland, France or even Scotland is an unnecessary gamble.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:00 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:19 am

At home to Gloucester, after coming off firmly second best against Finn Russell. I'm sure it's the question the media will be asking, but until Smith's kicking game is consistently on a par with Farrell's and Ford's in big matches, I don't see him being the right person. Goose steps don't win test matches.
Agree to disagree. IMO his overall game has come on a lot since the World Cup. Goose steps might not do it but pace and game awareness do. He is often at his best as second receiver and having Slade alongside him would give that option.
Unsure if you mean overall kicking or at the posts but none of them are much above mid 60% at present.
I haven’t been much of a fan but past month for me his overall game has moved up a level
Overall kicking - more from hand than anything else. South Africa were heading out of the World Cup against a fairly average England team until Pollard came on, because kicking ability at 10 is more important than fancy hands or running.

That's why countries will keep coming back to the Pollards, Fords and Farrells, even if they do succumb to the temptation of a flashy Smith or Libbok every now and then.

I do agree that Slade needs to be returned to at least the squad, and Smith should be a part of it, but starting him against the likes of Ireland, France or even Scotland is an unnecessary gamble.
Very good points, though Ford is hardly Mr. Consistent himself at the moment
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:48 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:42 pm Hadn’t realised that Mako was red carded yesterday for shoulder to head tackle. West likely to be their starting loose head next week
Might be interesting as according to a report, West went off for a HIA hence Mako being on at 80mins.
And with Maui injured too
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:06 pm
Logo then?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:34 pm

Logo then?
Quite possible. I’m not fully up to speed but I know their prop injury list is lengthy
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:00 pm

Very good points, though Ford is hardly Mr. Consistent himself at the moment
I must admit I've not seen a lot of Sale this season.

A lot of interesting selection decisions for Mr Borthwick!