LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by sam16111986 »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:59 am I would keep Brown. Whilst we do have options he is currently playing at level that is not far off or equal to Steward at 15.
There may have been an argument for that tail end of last season after Freddie had his confidence knocked with the not a red card in the 6N.

This season Brown isn't close to how Steward's been playing. Looks like age is catching up with him, especially on the wing at the weekend. His kicks are falling shorter, he's not quite covering the ground like he was or popping up in attack like he did. I'd still be inclined to keep him around as he's like another coach out on the pitch and there will be occasions that is very useful. We paid the price Vs Sale in the playoffs for finishing the game with a very green backline. Having someone if Brown's experience around will be handy though I'd rather we used Shillcock or Atkinson more often as fullback cover as it gives us an extra playmaker in the backline and wit Watson back now there's another experienced international in the backline to help organise of Steward isn't there.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:35 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:06 pm Keep him till the end of January I said after which we have no premiership rugby for nearly 2 months. Plenty of time to rest and recover
So what reason would he have to sign a 1 month contract? We know his current one ends in December. Why would he sign a 1 month contract extension?
Depends on his other options. It would be of benefit to the club as cover.
What is the benefit of him being here during February and March ?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I see Matt Giteau is coming out of retirement. If we’re short on the mentorship front let’s see if we can get him in
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Controversial….I’d rather keep Brown than Watson.

One came and has far exceeded any and all expectations.

The other has offered little for us.

Brown has literally got stuck in game after game
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

anz3001 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:10 pm Controversial….I’d rather keep Brown than Watson.

Is that on the basis of Sundays match when Watson hadn’t played for 7 months ?
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:29 pm
anz3001 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:10 pm Controversial….I’d rather keep Brown than Watson.

No, it’s based on his entire period with us.

How many times since Brown has joined has he been identified as having a great game or significant contribution. Genuinely don’t remember anything similar from Watson. Feels like we’re constantly sat waiting for him to get going.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

anz3001 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:42 pm

How many times since Brown has joined has he been identified as having a great game or significant contribution. Genuinely don’t remember anything similar from Watson. Feels like we’re constantly sat waiting for him to get going.
16 games and 6 tries last season (he was with England during the 6N period where he played another four and scored one).

Tries included one against Leinster. A very well taken brace against Glaws at home that set us up for victory. Then there was the brilliant solo effort from fullback away against the Ospreys.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

The Telegraph are reporting that Lenny will sign a one-year contract extension with us.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:16 pm The Telegraph are reporting that Lenny will sign a one-year contract extension with us.
Can someone advise when his current contract ends
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:19 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:16 pm The Telegraph are reporting that Lenny will sign a one-year contract extension with us.
Can someone advise when his current contract ends
Likely this season, he last signed a contract July 2020 (covid pay reductions when we had the 6 players leave), so he's already in the 4th year of his contract so it's almost certain it ends this season

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... -contract/
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:59 pm

16 games and 6 tries last season (he was with England during the 6N period where he played another four and scored one).

Tries included one against Leinster. A very well taken brace against Glaws at home that set us up for victory. Then there was the brilliant solo effort from fullback away against the Ospreys.
A quick google would indicate Brown scored 4 in as many games.

One is being deemed surplus and not worth
re-signing, despite is obvious effort and contributions on the field including his leadership.
The other, a world class winger, British and Irish Lion and worthy of ignoring his horrific injury record and likely hefty salary for the odd moment of individual brilliance which he is undoubtedly capable of but I’m not sold on the hype tbh.

His recent precarious contract situations perhaps further demonstrate my point.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Excellent news on Youngs. Article also says ‘further major re signings to be announced in the next fortnight’
Good news
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Here's the article minus the paywall: https://archive.is/PO12T
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

anz3001 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:22 pm A quick google would indicate Brown scored 4 in as many games.

re-signing, despite is obvious effort and contributions on the field including his leadership.
The other, a world class winger, British and Irish Lion and worthy of ignoring his horrific injury record and likely hefty salary for the odd moment of individual brilliance which he is undoubtedly capable of but I’m not sold on the hype tbh.

The Watson thing reminds me of our 'Manu days', injury robbing him and us of what may have been!
Who would be a coach or team manager in charge of contracts?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

anz3001 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:22 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:59 pm

A quick google would indicate Brown scored 4 in as many games.

Again people over exaggerate previous posts. The question was asked any news on Brown staying. Various responses none saying not deemed his worth or surplus. His current contract ends, from what we understand, end of this month, I suggested maybe extending for a month as there is practically no rugby in February and March .
As another poster has put there is a finite amount of money, resources time, which I personally think would be better spent on developing younger players.
Your point of Brown over Watson is at best mute, one has a contract the other doesn’t, there is best part of 10 years age gap.
Finally imo these mentions of mentoring and experience are over stated, I’m sure he has those qualities, but how much do you need. Amongst others in our squad we have 2 players with more than 100 caps, 2 World Cup winners and 1 current international captain