LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

PeteK
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by PeteK »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:42 am Any whisperings of whether Brown is staying past the end of the month?
Dan has said there is room in the cap to offer as he does want him to stay, but depends if thats enough.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Others may disagree but imo there is no point in keeping him past the end of January. The squad has more than enough depth to manage without him during the possible 2 PRC games and 1 premiership game during the 6 nations
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

I would keep Brown. Whilst we do have options he is currently playing at level that is not far off or equal to Steward at 15. He is a quality operator and the competition is driving Steward on further and also allows Steward to be rested if needed. McKellar also likes using Brown at FB to allow Steward to play on the wing if needed, so he is important to us tactically.

Keeping Brown has actually become more important since Shillcock has jumped Atkinson in the FH pecking order. Shillcock is now probably going to be back up FH for the rest of the season. Atkinson did play well at FB on Sunday night, and if i was his advisor I would probably be recommending he moves to FB full-time as I think that could be his best position, however Brown is the superior FB.

Brown is also a great bloke to have in the squad, he clearly has high standards and is good at driving on others in the squad, and is a good mentor for our young backs to learn from, whilst probably not demanding that high a salary.

Finally, we have just lost OHC & Simmons to injury, Watson has injury issues as we know - we're not that far off having issues in the back 3, so it's worth keeping him.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Absolutely, LE2. Mentor, solid player, reliable and still got some useful speed.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
CrumblingTerrace
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Brown has been excellent. My only argument for letting him go would be if it allows Shillcock to get on the pitch more at #15.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:19 am Brown has been excellent. My only argument for letting him go would be if it allows Shillcock to get on the pitch more at #15.
I have similar feelings around Shilcock, and Atkinson for that matter. 15 cover we also have Watson and Bassett if required.
Don’t buy into the Steward on the wing with Watson back, they are both filling very similar roles.

The mentor thing, almost implies that this isn’t being carried out properly. My understanding is that Matt Smith is an excellent coach and mentor as well as being stepped in Tigers history. There is also a 2 times World Cup winner and Englands most capped player in the back line.
IMO keep him till the end of January and then I see no benefit for either the club or the player to him staying on
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I'd be keen to keep hold of Brown, he's continuing to prove me wrong and still looks like a top full back.

There's a definite benefit just from having the older pros around the squad as well.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Using the Sale semi-final last season as an example, if Pollard got injured the day of a big game, I would want Shillcock as the replacement 10. If Steward was injured the day of a big game, i would want Brown as the replacement.

Saying that Brown being a mentor means it is not being done by others in the squad is a jump worthy of the Olympics. The lessons of the last few years has been marrying up quality young players with senior players who bring high standards and high performance levels. Letting go one of our best performers this season, who is a valued senior player seems a poor move.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:23 pm Using the Sale semi-final last season as an example, if Pollard got injured the day of a big game, I would want Shillcock as the replacement 10. If Steward was injured the day of a big game, i would want Brown as the replacement.

Saying that Brown being a mentor means it is not being done by others in the squad is a jump worthy of the Olympics. The lessons of the last few years has been marrying up quality young players with senior players who bring high standards and high performance levels. Letting go one of our best performers this season, who is a valued senior player seems a poor move.
All ifs and buts and maybes. As for your Olympics analogy, here’s another one Too many cooks spoil the broth, or too many chiefs and not enough Indians.
You do make a lot of assumptions Best Performers and Valued Senior Player
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Must say Brown has exceeded my expectations (as did Ashton) and has earned a contract extension. I also love his competitiveness and the way he drives his team- mates if they slack off. He’s the type of player the opposition hate to face as he never gives up and you can tell that his fellow Tigers players hold him in high esteem .
A2O
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:37 am Others may disagree but imo there is no point in keeping him past the end of January. The squad has more than enough depth to manage without him during the possible 2 PRC games and 1 premiership game during the 6 nations
We literally have one of our back 3 options in a moon boot last weekend and another one who was back to play his first game in over 2 months who also pulled out injured late...

And here we are talking about releasing one of our back 3 players.

So basically we have 2 back 3 players on short term contracts Brown and Woollett.

One assumes Woollett is coming to the end of his contract as it was believed he was Simmons injury cover.

I have no issues with Woollett as a player, but I think we have enough youngsters to focus on. For me we want to keep at least one of them, I'd rather extend Brown than Woollett.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Keep him till the end of January I said after which we have no premiership rugby for nearly 2 months. Plenty of time to rest and recover
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

If we can afford him then it's a no-brainer to keep Brown. Like other senior players eg: Cole, Pollard, Youngs etc his experience is an invaluable aid in both driving standards and teaching/mentoring (call it what you will) young players.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

fentiger wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:47 pm If we can afford him then it's a no-brainer to keep Brown. Like other senior players eg: Cole, Pollard, Youngs etc his experience is an invaluable aid in both driving standards and teaching/mentoring (call it what you will) young players.
And that’s it in a nutshell. However if keeping him diverts, money resources time from developing young players I know which way I would rather go
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:06 pm Keep him till the end of January I said after which we have no premiership rugby for nearly 2 months. Plenty of time to rest and recover
So what reason would he have to sign a 1 month contract? We know his current one ends in December. Why would he sign a 1 month contract extension?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.