Tigers v Stade Francais (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 17th December 2023 - KO:5-30pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Stade Francais (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 17th December 2023 - KO:5-30pm

Post by Rugbygramps »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:02 pm
No6_Flanker wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:05 am Agree with that pecking order: JVP, Youngs, Whiteley, Edwards is pretty decent. Not sure we would need Powell next season (if he isn’t already contracted)?
I know Lenny has retired from internationals, so I would assume there is a fair chance of a complete retirement at the end of this season. Just a guess.
I got the impression that he is enjoying life under Mckellar and without the distractions of international rugby, so am hoping that we get another season out of him
LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Stade Francais (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 17th December 2023 - KO:5-30pm

Post by LE18 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:04 pm
Old Hob wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:02 pm
No6_Flanker wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:05 am Agree with that pecking order: JVP, Youngs, Whiteley, Edwards is pretty decent. Not sure we would need Powell next season (if he isn’t already contracted)?
I know Lenny has retired from internationals, so I would assume there is a fair chance of a complete retirement at the end of this season. Just a guess.
I got the impression that he is enjoying life under Mckellar and without the distractions of international rugby, so am hoping that we get another season out of him
I think you may get more than that out of him, I dont see him wanting to retire to the seaside yet and his wife has a business over here.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

LE18 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:01 am
Tykger wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:30 pm Reference to the nicknames post...after that game...

Shilcock...Sir Tain -does not miss.
Wells...Velcro...does not let go
Vanes.....varicos...can't think of anything other than a silly reference to a vein.
Try weather!
Turbine....Turbines have vanes!

Turbo!
Last edited by Big Dai on Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

What I liked: some spells of free-flowing rugby by Stade Français, the solo effort of our 15 Barré being a gem of a try.

Good atmosphere at "The Pub" the day before the game and "Aux Deux Stade" right before the aforementioned game. The stadium itself became electric in the last moments, (I sung like a nightingale on steroids) although the attendance was weak. Cold, Sunday night and the usual trafic difficulties of the Paris area.

What I didn't like at all is a bunch of (French profanity)so-called supporters who came in believing they were at a football game, hence the silly chants calling to arms against the enemy. But good atmosphere at the bodega after the game.

Still the defeat is haunting and I do think I deserve some shoulder patting or even bald patch scratching if the ladies don't fear for their nail varnish! :smt003
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Ze Stade Fan wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:39 pm What I liked: some spells of free-flowing rugby by Stade Français, the solo effort of our 15 Barré being a gem of a try.

Good atmosphere at "The Pub" the day before the game and "Aux Deux Stade" right before the aforementioned game. The stadium itself became electric in the last moments, (I sung like a nightingale on steroids) although the attendance was weak. Cold, Sunday night and the usual trafic difficulties of the Paris area.

What I didn't like at all is a bunch of (French profanity)so-called supporters who came in believing they were at a football game, hence the silly chants calling to arms against the enemy. But good atmosphere at the bodega after the game.

Still the defeat is haunting and I do think I deserve some shoulder patting or even bald patch scratching if the ladies don't fear for their nail varnish! :smt003
How much are the fans blaming the lad who dropped the crossfield kick?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:47 pm
Ze Stade Fan wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:39 pm What I liked: some spells of free-flowing rugby by Stade Français, the solo effort of our 15 Barré being a gem of a try.

How much are the fans blaming the lad who dropped the crossfield kick?
Poor Lester (pronounced Leicester ! :smt003 ) Etien is getting a lot of flak and his mates whom i could talk to are trying to comfort him. If you read French and wade into the so-called "official" forum of Stade Français you'll find a collection of naysayers, self-proclaimed connoisseurs and generally pitiful eejits who wish he'd choke. The kind of supporters who gloat around the coffee machine on Monday mornings after a victory but hide their colours after a defeat. Personally I don't blame Lester Etien as the responsibility of the loss lies also on our pack who wasted several rolling mauls. Heads up, Lester, the best is to come. :smt026
RichardB

Post by RichardB »

I though that ranked up there with the best European wins of late.

Reminded me of I think it was it Clermont Auvergne last season when we sent a similar side & came away with a win that really got the season rocking.

Looked on it from minute one I thought - first line out went badly but didn't put young Archie off his stride.

Watson was poor & Brown made a coupe of un characterful errors ignoring men outside but apart from that, the spirit was off the scale.

Harry Wells take a bow - cometh the hour, cometh the man.

The ref was miles better than most & so is our change strip !
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

To be fair to Watson had his first game for months.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

mol2 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:58 pm To be fair to Watson had his first game for months.
And he did have a few really good parts e.g. when down to 14 him and Brown with the counter-ruck
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

I still don't have my commiseration and shoulder patting. If I was a confirmed wind-up merchant I'd blame it on Brexit. :smt003

But I am not a professional abuser, I even lost a fortune on the Internet by taking Godwin points (I have plenty of) for bitcoins ! :smt009

OOoooooh poooor Stade Français ! :smt010
eastyorkstiger
Tiger Cub

Post by eastyorkstiger »

i would say watson was rusty rather than poor hes had 2 weeks training with the team etc he will come good fitness and tactics wise just needs minutes
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

ZSF
sorry, can’t commiserate but I adore your posts on our Forum and your fabulous use of English. Wish my French were that good.

Stuck in Germany (that hotbed of rugby) and had to follow the match on bbc web site and mostly on this forum. Thanks to everyone for your posts.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

eastyorkstiger wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:16 pm i would say watson was rusty rather than poor hes had 2 weeks training with the team etc he will come good fitness and tactics wise just needs minutes
I’m sure you’re right he hasn’t suddenly become a poor player, was it a year ago when he scored that wonderful try v the Ospreys.

Also our game plan called for him to catch , kick and tackle which he did ok
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Ze Stade Fan wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:37 pm I still don't have my commiseration and shoulder patting. If I was a confirmed wind-up merchant I'd blame it on Brexit. :smt003

But I am not a professional abuser, I even lost a fortune on the Internet by taking Godwin points (I have plenty of) for bitcoins ! :smt009

OOoooooh poooor Stade Français ! :smt010
I will commiserate, mon cher. A loss is always hard - but you will do well in the top 14 and you still have la gastronomie et vin to console you.
A bientot.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I think you could argue against both yellows, but for me both were within the boundaries of "fair". I would prefer to see more yellows more quickly for cynical offences in the 22, so I can't complain about Brown's card. Stade had momentum and quick ball that was killed by Brown's intervention.

Atkinson's was more marginal for me, I disagree with the ref who said Atkinson had "no genuine chance of charging down the kick". The opportunity was definitely there, but I suppose it's his responsibility not to clatter the kicker afterwards.

I thought Watson and Brown both played well, as did Whiteley for a 3rd choice 9. All 3 made a mistake or 2, but overall their net contributions were definitely in the positive. Ilione showed the value of his breakdown threat off the bench again (I'd still have him starting when Refell isn't in the mix) and Wells is becoming a club great IMO - a true icon of attitude, commitment and hard work.

Got to feel for the French player who dropped the cross field kick, we all "drop the ball" sometimes and that one must really hurt.