Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Central contracts

Post by Rugbygramps »

fentiger wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:17 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:10 pm Imagine folk thinking that the RFU are implementing these contracts to benefit the clubs!
Yeah, I imagine there are still some gullible enough to think that! Mind those flying pigs :smt044 :smt044
See the above re both sides disagreeing with each other
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:21 pm
fentiger wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:17 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:10 pm Imagine folk thinking that the RFU are implementing these contracts to benefit the clubs!
Yeah, I imagine there are still some gullible enough to think that! Mind those flying pigs :smt044 :smt044
See the above re both sides disagreeing with each other
Yeah, all good, ta :smt023
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I mean clubs will benefit from it though
Say
Martin
Chessum
Steward
JVP
each get 100K from the RFU

That would mean an extra 400K for us to use.
Could mean giving Wiese enough to keep him

RFU will def get their money worth and the club will need to plan accordingly.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Doubt it will mean us discounting their salary and having extra in the cap, just preventing them going abroad for bigger salary, which would result in England not being able to pick them.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:05 pm
Say
Martin
Chessum
Steward
JVP

But could it also mean the RFU saying - 'Here's your contract but Newcastle (for example) are short of an England qualified second row - if you want to stay and play for England then you have to go and play there.'?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:07 am
Say
Martin
Chessum
Steward
JVP

But could it also mean the RFU saying - 'Here's your contract but Newcastle (for example) are short of an England qualified second row - if you want to stay and play for England then you have to go and play there.'?
I think I’m right in saying in cricket that the reverse has happened and that the England squad is concentrated in a small number of counties Durham and Yorkshire for example
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

You’d assume they’d want to protect their assets so not want them unhappy and/or getting smashed up in a poor team losing every week.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:07 am
Say
Martin
Chessum
Steward
JVP

From what i'm aware they won't be telling players to move, more just working with clubs on things like fitness and positions.
Also let's be real if a player is getting a central contract it's likely they are starters for their current club and getting decent game time that moving isn't an issue.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Worth remembering that the proposed system seems very different (and less extreme) than the Irish rugby or English cricket setups.

I'm not sure how or why England could or would demand a player moves clubs, that only really comes in if RFU own the clubs, as in Ireland with the provinces.
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

The biggest problem will come if club and country are playing vastly different styles. The last thing rugby needs is clubs being told we want so and so but he has to play this way in this position. You only have to look back to Burgess at Bath to see the problems
MrG2

Post by MrG2 »

What worries me is we end up going down the cricket route and we can only pick, for instance Ollie Chessum, when Steve Borthwick or the RFU say we can.

They have central contracts in Ireland and it is very rare you see Leinster put out their gun XV
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

GETHIN EXILE wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:23 pm The biggest problem will come if club and country are playing vastly different styles. The last thing rugby needs is clubs being told we want so and so but he has to play this way in this position. You only have to look back to Burgess at Bath to see the problems
I think that already happens anyway. Barbeary said recently Jones requested that he focused on hooker. Now Jones has gone he's more interested in playing 8. Maybe with central contracts there'll be a bit more leverage, but it's already there.
MrG2 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:45 pm What worries me is we end up going down the cricket route and we can only pick, for instance Ollie Chessum, when Steve Borthwick or the RFU say we can.

They have central contracts in Ireland and it is very rare you see Leinster put out their gun XV

Ireland also own the provinces, don't they? Very different from just central contracts.

RFU would need to pay a lot more than £150k per year to get complete control of when players turn out for their clubs.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

The issue here is that Saracens have been given a helping hand to keep their stars, other clubs do not seem to get the same help.
I can't imagine that Lewis Ludlum, after his showing in the world cup, would not be offered a central contract but now too late.
Saracens have been operating with two marque players when everyone else has to do with one, done by gaming the system but still an advantage.
It may be perception, but it smells to me, after all the Saracens stars were gathered together under the unresolved (to me at least) shady salary cap breaches.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

BengalTiger wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:43 am The issue here is that Saracens have been given a helping hand to keep their stars, other clubs do not seem to get the same help.
We were given a helping hand to keep Watson.
Farmboy

Post by Farmboy »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:06 am
BengalTiger wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:43 am The issue here is that Saracens have been given a helping hand to keep their stars, other clubs do not seem to get the same help.
We were given a helping hand to keep Watson.
Not quite the same as Watson was out of contract so anybody could have signed him but RFU did. Out of contract again he could have signed for anyone but chose Tigers.