LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by MCC1964 »

Offside wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:05 am Illione played 9 and captained England U20 and started ahead of Cunningham-South but has not had the number of premiership opportunities. 8 at european level is a step ip physically and Illione is probably our best jackling 7 after Reffell. If Carnduff can step up at 7 giving Illione some starts at 7 in the prem and 8 in the Prem cup could be s good trial of future options.
Played 9?!! :smt017
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

It’s difficult for Tigers when we keep having such a big churn of key players either moving on or retiring. Ford, Genge, Moroni and now Wiese.

We’ve also missed the bus with the likes of T Willis, Mercer, CCS all moving to other premiership clubs.

I do think we’re underestimating Hatherall. I’m not saying he’s the same player as Wiese but he’s a quality eight who could do a decent job with a run uninjured. Illione too is a massive talent in the Earl/Savea mould.

Still gutted though. Really hoped with the cap going up he’d have stayed. Can’t help but feeling bar our academy players with ties to the club most players will just use us as a stepping stone to richer lands.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

I can’t blame him really. One club players are a dying breed and pretty unlikely anyway with overseas players. And if I were him I’d probably do the same. With a rugby career being so short, relatively speaking, I’d be out to maximise both my income and cultural experiences, particularly with my stock having risen as it has for Jasper. You never know when that career ending injury might come. Whilst I think player churn does hurt us, it is sadly inevitable in the current climate. If the RFU relax their England qualification rules it will become a veritable flood.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I think the player churn is inevitable. You recruit the best or develop the best and there are always people with big cheque books wanting to sign them.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I don’t see Carnduff as a lock (too small) and not a 7 either .. possibly a 6.
The Manz brothers at look and back row may be good enough we’ll have to wait and see.
I’d like to see more of Carmichael. He sure may has the size to be a quality lock but whether he’s good enough.. not seen enough of him.
I think we can be fairly certain young Chez is tbe business and will just get better and better.
Illione , so far has looked the part but had limited opportunity due to the superstars we currently have in back row currently.
Obviously old Chez and Big George are magnificent when available as is Henderson. Massive shame about his injury because he really was starting to look class .. I knew it the second I saw him limping and hopping that was a bad one and yet on the telly replay it is so innocuous! He seems to just snag it on the turf. To do a second year off at his young age must be a tremendous psychological blow for him poor lad. I wonder if it’s the same knee? That could make a difference re recovery.
I like Wells .. never lets us down.. not at all sure about Carter
And after all of that what does it leave us .. a massive snarling, nasty, explosive, powerful shaped hole at 8 .. and that doesn’t grow on trees .. big problem for Dan the Man
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Mightymouse im sure I read that it’s the other knee
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

MCC1964 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:39 am I can’t blame him really. One club players are a dying breed and pretty unlikely anyway with overseas players. And if I were him I’d probably do the same. With a rugby career being so short, relatively speaking, I’d be out to maximise both my income and cultural experiences, particularly with my stock having risen as it has for Jasper. You never know when that career ending injury might come. Whilst I think player churn does hurt us, it is sadly inevitable in the current climate. If the RFU relax their England qualification rules it will become a veritable flood.
How has your stock risen MCC? :smt052
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

LE18 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:12 pm
MCC1964 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:39 am I can’t blame him really. One club players are a dying breed and pretty unlikely anyway with overseas players. And if I were him I’d probably do the same. With a rugby career being so short, relatively speaking, I’d be out to maximise both my income and cultural experiences, particularly with my stock having risen as it has for Jasper. You never know when that career ending injury might come. Whilst I think player churn does hurt us, it is sadly inevitable in the current climate. If the RFU relax their England qualification rules it will become a veritable flood.
How has your stock risen MCC? :smt052
:smt003
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:01 pm Mightymouse im sure I read that it’s the other knee
I also read the same. Either Adam Whitty or John Whiffen posted this on Twitter, sorry, X
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:59 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:30 am I agree Sam. Posters saying they want a physical 2nd row when we have George Martin who was the best lock in a World Cup semi final that included Itoje and Ezterbeth. We already have that presence though some feel he could be an 8 :smt017
I don't think I have seen anyone say Martin isn't physical

But like I do feel the drop from Martin, Chessum and Henderson is noticeable. Even more so given that Chessum and Martin are Internationals and Henderson is a slight worry with this major injury.

I'm, quite envious of Sale Sharks plan in terms of having like 3 extremely physical locks who can play back row

JL du Preez
Cobus Wiese
Ernst van Rhyn

That's a really physical versatile trio of forwards.

Wells for me just hasn't hit the form he used to the last few seasons.
Yep, my feeling exactly. I'd look to add physicality across the second and back row as it's available. Rather than prioritising a number 8 specifically.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

MCC1964 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:11 am
Offside wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:05 am Illione played 8 and captained England U20 and started ahead of Cunningham-South but has not had the number of premiership opportunities. 8 at european level is a step ip physically and Illione is probably our best jackling 7 after Reffell. If Carnduff can step up at 7 giving Illione some starts at 7 in the prem and 8 in the Prem cup could be s good trial of future options.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

As someone said earlier I think Hatherall could turn out to be a very good signing.
A2O
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Offside wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:45 pm
MCC1964 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:11 am
Offside wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:05 am Illione played 8 and captained England U20 and started ahead of Cunningham-South but has not had the number of premiership opportunities. 8 at european level is a step ip physically and Illione is probably our best jackling 7 after Reffell. If Carnduff can step up at 7 giving Illione some starts at 7 in the prem and 8 in the Prem cup could be s good trial of future options.
Sorry typo corrected now.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

On the plus side, and there is not much of a plus to losing Jasper:

That is one massive salary that we are not going to be paying at a time when finances are not great.

It gives the chance for McKellar to get in a player or a few players that may suit how he wants to develop the team going forward.

Hopefully we will have half a season of a fired up Jasper wanting to go out on a high.

At least it has all been sorted early, is out in the open and we got to announce it rather than having weeks of rumours or another club rubbing it in our face.

That said, with them losing out on 2 big name signings this week, please tell me that Jasper is not going to Bath to make up for losing out on Snymann and Arundell. That would send me over the edge I think :smt003 :smt003
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

This may come back to bite me, but with the money we have reportedly offered him, and by his own admission his love of Leicester, there is no way he is staying in the premiership.

I still think he will be returning back to South Africa