LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by loretta »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:06 pm Genge took a paycut to go back to Bristol so he could be with his family, I doubt he wants to move away from them again already.

Where have the reports that he's unsettled come from?
I don't buy the paycut narrative.It was a year when he would have had to take a paycut if he'd stayed as well, it all depends on what's being compared.The story fitted Bristol and the press loved it.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I wonder with London Irish going under if Cunningham-South may only have signed a 1 year with Quins, he may be a good pick up, not an out and out starter YET, but with Hatherall, Cracknell, Liebenberg, Rogerson and Ilione all good 8 options for us may signing potential be a better bet?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

If as I suspect Wiese is moving abroad, then that reveals the relative attractiveness and purchasing power of clubs in this country. We've seemingly become a stepping stone to elsewhere. Frankly, I'm getting weary of hearing about premiership players heading abroad.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:05 pm At his age this is probably the best contract money wise Jasper will get, so if a French team or elsewhere is offering silly money we aren't & shouldn't attempt to match it.

Like others have said hanging on to ex Tigers Academy players is arguably the better long term strategy.
I think that’s a fair all round assessment
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RG Snyman going to Leinster. Which gives them Snyman, Ryan, McCarthy and Molony even if Baird is predominantly used at 6.

If Jason Jenkins is on the move could he be a reasonable target as a physical option in the second row?
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:39 pm I wonder with London Irish going under if Cunningham-South may only have signed a 1 year with Quins, he may be a good pick up, not an out and out starter YET, but with Hatherall, Cracknell, Liebenberg, Rogerson and Ilione all good 8 options for us may signing potential be a better bet?
TFS, Cunningham-South was my thinking as well, but we don’t know how long Quins have tied him down for. To be honest, the Rugby they’re playing at the Stoop, I’d want to stay. Clement at Glaws could be a shout, now Mercer is back he won’t get as much game time.

Of course none of these guys are in Wiese’s league.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

KiwiTig wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:56 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:05 pm At his age this is probably the best contract money wise Jasper will get, so if a French team or elsewhere is offering silly money we aren't & shouldn't attempt to match it.

Like others have said hanging on to ex Tigers Academy players is arguably the better long term strategy.
I think that’s a fair all round assessment
Indeed. I am over the disappointment (I think). We should view this as an opportunity.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I thought the young laddie who played 8 for the Stormers looked like the real deal. We could add tbe finishing touches to another future Bok cap for a couple of years
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Talking of Gloucester how about Ruan Ackerman very much a gain line player only 27 and in a poor team at Gloucester
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ABClub wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:34 pm RG Snyman going to Leinster. Which gives them Snyman, Ryan, McCarthy and Molony even if Baird is predominantly used at 6.

If Jason Jenkins is on the move could he be a reasonable target as a physical option in the second row?
Do we really need to spend that kind of money on the second row? If we can keep hold of Henderson then he plus Chessum, Martin and Wells is a good core. Carter a useful lineout mentor and then with the young guys coming through we've got talent there.

I sort of feel the same way about the flanks as well with Ilione, Manz and Carnduff (possible lock also). Behind what we have already.

Make an exception for a particularly dominant blindside whereby Liebenburg goes to 8 but otherwise back the homegrown talent. Use the cash at loosehead and an explosive 8.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I agree Sam. Posters saying they want a physical 2nd row when we have George Martin who was the best lock in a World Cup semi final that included Itoje and Ezterbeth. We already have that presence though some feel he could be an 8 :smt017
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

mightymouse wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:14 am I thought the young laddie who played 8 for the Stormers looked like the real deal. We could add tbe finishing touches to another future Bok cap for a couple of years
Agreed :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:39 pm I wonder with London Irish going under if Cunningham-South may only have signed a 1 year with Quins, he may be a good pick up, not an out and out starter YET, but with Hatherall, Cracknell, Liebenberg, Rogerson and Ilione all good 8 options for us may signing potential be a better bet?
[/quote

Hatherall is a good back up to Wiese and the rest can play at 8
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:30 am I agree Sam. Posters saying they want a physical 2nd row when we have George Martin who was the best lock in a World Cup semi final that included Itoje and Ezterbeth. We already have that presence though some feel he could be an 8 :smt017
I don't think I have seen anyone say Martin isn't physical

But like I do feel the drop from Martin, Chessum and Henderson is noticeable. Even more so given that Chessum and Martin are Internationals and Henderson is a slight worry with this major injury.

I'm, quite envious of Sale Sharks plan in terms of having like 3 extremely physical locks who can play back row

JL du Preez
Cobus Wiese
Ernst van Rhyn

That's a really physical versatile trio of forwards.

Wells for me just hasn't hit the form he used to the last few seasons.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Illione played 9 and captained England U20 and started ahead of Cunningham-South but has not had the number of premiership opportunities. 8 at european level is a step ip physically and Illione is probably our best jackling 7 after Reffell. If Carnduff can step up at 7 giving Illione some starts at 7 in the prem and 8 in the Prem cup could be s good trial of future options.