Tigers v Stade Francais (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 17th December 2023 - KO:5-30pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Stade Francais (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 17th December 2023 - KO:5-30pm

Post by Rugbygramps »

I think that’s what I said so 4 pool winners through then next best 12 sides based on position in pool and points gained

Edit: my apologies so having re read it will be the top 4 teams in each group that qualify but then the match points will decide which seed they get. So number 1 seed, best pool winner will play 16th seed worst 4th place team
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Stade Francais (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 17th December 2023 - KO:5-30pm

Post by Tiglon »

I loved how the Irish presenter on the highlights show started by saying how simple the competition was, then spent 5 minutes, supported by graphics, explaining how it all works.
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

When you have zero point you feel more lenient about the organisation of the whole show. :smt012
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Ze Stade Fan wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:47 pm When you have zero point you feel more lenient about the organisation of the whole show. :smt012
Bonjour! It's been a while but good to see you back.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:17 pm
Ze Stade Fan wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:47 pm When you have zero point you feel more lenient about the organisation of the whole show. :smt012
Bonjour! It's been a while but good to see you back.
Cheers Old Hob,

I am a convicted wind-up merchant but I sell my banter on the cheap. Are you good people looking for a pub to congregate in Paris? A Stade Toulousain (boooooh :smt019 ) and Quins (Boooooooooooh :smt019 ) fan started a nice joint called the Pub rue Caron, 75004 Paris, métro Saint Paul. I might be there beginning of the afternoon. It's a thrre-quarter of an hour maximum métro ride to the stadium. :smt041
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

After SF’s thrashing at Sale, I wonder if they’ll be 100% committed to the European Champions’ Cup as they’ve still got Leinster away and Stormers at home. They’re a more than capable side, looking at their position in the Top14, but as with some French sides in the past, they don’t prioritize Europe. Tigers really ought to send a full strength side and look for the win!
Semper in excretia
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:56 pm After SF’s thrashing at Sale, I wonder if they’ll be 100% committed to the European Champions’ Cup as they’ve still got Leinster away and Stormers at home. They’re a more than capable side, looking at their position in the Top14, but as with some French sides in the past, they don’t prioritize Europe. Tigers really ought to send a full strength side and look for the win!
Hi Rob
I think Europe is deemed important for our management. That doesn’t mean we’re gonna win against Tigers but we’ll be probably in full force. Still, we host La Rochelle the week after in the Top 14 and those chaps need points.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I was there yesterday but feel the Exeter and Bath games are far more important.
Realistically we need to get points from both those Premiership games.
Exeter and Bath look good this season and the awful weather at Bath helped us to win.
For Stade I’d see it as a chance to give Shilcock a start at Fly half as I doubt Pollard will go the whole season injury free. Montoya and Steward need rests too along with Hanro.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I'd agree with that Ian. Rather like the team the Stormers sent over here, we can use this as an opportunity. Shillcock especially has looked good. I'd also like to see more of Ilione and one or two of our top youngsters in the mix. It will be interesting to see which way McKellar goes with selection.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

markharbtiger wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:20 am I'd agree with that Ian. Rather like the team the Stormers sent over here, we can use this as an opportunity. Shillcock especially has looked good. I'd also like to see more of Ilione and one or two of our top youngsters in the mix. It will be interesting to see which way McKellar goes with selection.
I really like your thinking here and I completely agree, especially about Shillcock.

The "star players" are with Tigers to play in the European Champions Cup (I guess one of the reasons they signed) so we have to play them in some games... but they also need a rest, and we IMHO should concentrate on the league. This season, I believe we have a far better chance in that, especially bearing in mind the games we have to play in Europe - we are , give or take, playing the top 4 teams in Europe.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Pellsey wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:37 am
markharbtiger wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:20 am I'd agree with that Ian. Rather like the team the Stormers sent over here, we can use this as an opportunity. Shillcock especially has looked good. I'd also like to see more of Ilione and one or two of our top youngsters in the mix. It will be interesting to see which way McKellar goes with selection.
I really like your thinking here and I completely agree, especially about Shillcock.

The "star players" are with Tigers to play in the European Champions Cup (I guess one of the reasons they signed) so we have to play them in some games... but they also need a rest, and we IMHO should concentrate on the league. This season, I believe we have a far better chance in that, especially bearing in mind the games we have to play in Europe - we are , give or take, playing the top 4 teams in Europe.
Time will tell, but just wonder if Dan sees a challenge ahead both for the players and coaching team and fancies a real tilt at it? Just hope it's not a Quixote tilt! :smt044 Yeah I know he was Don not Dan :smt044
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Totally agree we should prioritise the league and give some youngsters a run while still having enough experience to give it a good shot.
It was interesting listening to John Dobson and Bob Skinstad on comms that it wasn’t what some of the Stormers youngsters have done but what they will be doing in 2 or 3 years time particularly the 8 and 13
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Ze Stade Fan wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:26 pm
Robespierre wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:56 pm After SF’s thrashing at Sale, I wonder if they’ll be 100% committed to the European Champions’ Cup as they’ve still got Leinster away and Stormers at home. They’re a more than capable side, looking at their position in the Top14, but as with some French sides in the past, they don’t prioritize Europe. Tigers really ought to send a full strength side and look for the win!
Hi Rob
I think Europe is deemed important for our management. That doesn’t mean we’re gonna win against Tigers but we’ll be probably in full force. Still, we host La Rochelle the week after in the Top 14 and those chaps need points.
Bon Jour ZSF comment ca va?
I think both teams will enter this match with the hope of winning, I think it could just be a real festival of rugby, high scoring and not without incident, just like previous encounters.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

tigerburnie wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:14 am
Ze Stade Fan wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:26 pm
Hi Rob
Bon Jour ZSF comment ca va?
I think both teams will enter this match with the hope of winning, I think it could just be a real festival of rugby, high scoring and not without incident, just like previous encounters.
And remember we play on a quite fast artificial pitch.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:29 am

Totally agree we should prioritise the league and give some youngsters a run while still having enough experience to give it a good shot.
It was interesting listening to John Dobson and Bob Skinstad on comms that it wasn’t what some of the Stormers youngsters have done but what they will be doing in 2 or 3 years time particularly the 8 and 13
Absolutely. I have the same feeling with players like Ilione and Chessum jnr - how good they could become, and how much they would learn playing with "star players" like Wiese, Montoya and maybe Reffell in Europe... Shillcock is 26, and I think he is still to reach his potential.