Return of Champions Cup - Tigers v Stormers - Sunday 10th December 2023

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Return of Champions Cup - Tigers v Stormers - Sunday 10th December 2023

Post by LE18 »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:37 pm Contrast 30 blokes playing an error strewn game on mud and grass versus 30 blokes plying indoors on a carpet.

One I know as rugby....really don't know about the other.

Tennis?

I think that this 5 point win will give our selectors a bit of a head ache for next week. Do we go heavy or rotate, I think we should go as heavy as poss and see how we do. After all some say the League is our priority, so why are we so anxious to get in top 4/8, oh its to qualify for Europe, so if that is our aim then we must go to win.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

One assumes the further we go the more money we get and that has to be important now more than ever!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Re injuries
Henderson was a knee injury that looked very painful.. he couldn’t stand when he first got up and the was hopping to get back into defensive line before he went down at break of play. Someone with me said they saw his knee go into very awkward shape when it happened
Not sure if it was his previously injured knee or not!

Scott did a thumping tackle and the sound was like a crack that had me worried for a bust collar bone or a dislocation. However by the time he went off he looked in a lot less pain and was not holding his arm in protective position… so I also guessed a stinger

Bertie Bassett was a twisted ankle in a tackle .. looked bad to start with but once physio had messed with it then strapped him up he ran it off and was fit enough to run in that try at the end.

Steward was another leg injury strapped up near the posts .. didn’t look anything serious

Cam would be the one who I would be worried about .. if so massive shame after what he’s been through before and how superb he’s been this year.. I think he was certain to gain more caps for Scotland this 6 nations too!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I thought Kata had a good game but again our wingers were starved of ball in space until right at the end. Hope that we can believe in the contribution on the ball that they can make - but the result is by far the most important thing given the results elsewhere. Need to build on this next week and then I would be reasonably confident in progressing further. Don't want the prospect of having to beat Leinster in our last game in order to qualify.
Hehehehehehehehe
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

That was the most enjoyable Tigers game I've seen this season!

Felt like a proper European Cup battle from the competition's heyday. We had to dig deep to overcome a plucky Stormers team. And the result was in the balance right the way until the end.

'European' rugby at its most entertaining.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The pitch conditions were awful as the pitch had taken so much rain in the last few days and 9mm prior to kick off. There was some lying water in areas as it had not drained as well as normal as the sand underneath had not had any chance to dry. This added to difficult playing conditions which were not obvious to the watching spectators. Slips, ball very wet, handling errors
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
PAW2
Tiger Cub

Post by PAW2 »

Did anyone else suspect there may have been an issue with the ball?
We were particularly bad, but they dropped a few as well. When catching high balls, both teams had to reset late when it didn't make the expected distance. Plus a few wonky lineout throws?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

PAW2 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:16 am Did anyone else suspect there may have been an issue with the ball?
We were particularly bad, but they dropped a few as well. When catching high balls, both teams had to reset late when it didn't make the expected distance. Plus a few wonky lineout throws?
I was thinking the same. On telly it looked rounder is it a different ball in the ERC to premiership.

That said Steward , Wiese and Liebenberg all dropped balls they would take 99 times out of a 100
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:46 pm I guess how many teams did we put up in Europe the past 2 years that everyone wrote off that won in France or Ireland?
Don't underestimate a team that has nothing to lose and everything to prove.

5 points secured and 0 points given is what we wanted and got. Really bonus points will be massive for getting into the next round.
Next week is a bigger task, but win that and we are in a really good position in Europe.
This is a such a good point RB - no question they came with a high physical intensity (as one would expect from any SA team) and played a mixed up game that would have been hard to prepare for. That said we were off our own game for the first half with some of our players making mistakes we rarely see. As someone else posted it did feel like an old style European Cup game - great atmosphere on the Crumbie and some impressive support from the Stormers fans
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

have they said anywhere whether Wiese was concussed or not?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:54 pm have they said anywhere whether Wiese was concussed or not?
I believe that he failed his HIA.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:54 pm have they said anywhere whether Wiese was concussed or not?
I believe that he failed his HIA.
this week would probably have been a good time to give Hatherall a start anyway, would have preferred to have Jasper on the bench than Rogerson but so be it
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Anyone know if I can watch highlights anywhere for free?
I'm well out of the loop since I got rid of the BT sports app....

Edit: funny eh, when you actually look for something you find it!!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

LE18 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:00 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:37 pm Contrast 30 blokes playing an error strewn game on mud and grass versus 30 blokes plying indoors on a carpet.

One I know as rugby....really don't know about the other.

Tennis?

I think that this 5 point win will give our selectors a bit of a head ache for next week. Do we go heavy or rotate, I think we should go as heavy as poss and see how we do. After all some say the League is our priority, so why are we so anxious to get in top 4/8, oh its to qualify for Europe, so if that is our aim then we must go to win.
15 a side indoor tennis? Ooooooh the choas! .......but on a serious note the kicking game feels like it sometimes. 🤣🤣
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

ads wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:22 pm Anyone know if I can watch highlights anywhere for free?
I'm well out of the loop since I got rid of the BT sports app....

Edit: funny eh, when you actually look for something you find it!!
You Tube has them.