Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Return of Champions Cup - Tigers v Stormers - Sunday 10th December 2023

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/BBCRLSport/status/1 ... twrVQ&s=19

This quote from YBY certainly suggests he'll be playing at the weekend
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

According to the 0800 released version on this very website of the "Article" & its time line for Sundays game we kick off at 3.15 v the Falcons...& we all laugh about how poor the BBC are in their coverage of RU.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:45 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:40 pm
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:34 pm

I seem certain because Jack himself has told numerous individuals that mid-January is his return date. So even allowing for a return ahead of schedule, 11 days' time is ambitious.

Stade are no mugs, and beat Toulouse at home last week fairly comfortably. We can rotate the squad over the next couple of weeks without making such a large number of changes.
Which is your view I am entitled to have a different one. Just because you appear to have the inside line doesn’t give you the right to make demeaning comments. Or maybe that’s just how you come over
At no point have I been demeaning. I've just given a different POV which you seem upset by.
I think the important bit in all this chat is the fact that we can rotate without resorting to a "b" team - the squad we have allows that........
Less is more....
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Bunchy wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:54 am
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:45 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:40 pm

Which is your view I am entitled to have a different one. Just because you appear to have the inside line doesn’t give you the right to make demeaning comments. Or maybe that’s just how you come over
At no point have I been demeaning. I've just given a different POV which you seem upset by.
I think the important bit in all this chat is the fact that we can rotate without resorting to a "b" team - the squad we have allows that........
Spot on and I probably did over simplify things by suggesting almost a completely changed 23.
My point was that there are players that are absolutely key to our progression up the table, Montoya, Chessum, Liebenberg, Wiese, Pollard, Scott, Steward, who we have high quality replacements for and imo they should be rested for the Stade game so they are fit and ready for Exeter and Bath
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/premrugby/status/17 ... OZ5Qw&s=19

Some launch press at Tottenham Hotspur stadium today.. (well released today)

Notably 4 seconds in you see on the far left the Stormers representative there...

Not their skipper, not one of their star names, not 100% sure who it it (don't know their squad well enough) to me that says their big guns aren't in the right continent to take part in press events, meaning they won't be here for the match either
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

This doesn't tell us much either really, just hints as to what might happen
https://www.planetrugby.com/news/storme ... gers-clash
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

So, as we eagerly await todays team announcement.... the pre match playlist for Sundays game is by Harry Simmons... read into that what you will! 👀😁
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

fentiger wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:40 am So, as we eagerly await todays team announcement.... the pre match playlist for Sundays game is by Harry Simmons... read into that what you will! 👀😁
Him returning to fitness would be a nice little boost...
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:31 pm https://twitter.com/premrugby/status/17 ... OZ5Qw&s=19

Some launch press at Tottenham Hotspur stadium today.. (well released today)

Notably 4 seconds in you see on the far left the Stormers representative there...

Not their skipper, not one of their star names, not 100% sure who it it (don't know their squad well enough) to me that says their big guns aren't in the right continent to take part in press events, meaning they won't be here for the match either
I think that's Ben-Jason Dixon
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:56 am
fentiger wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:40 am So, as we eagerly await todays team announcement.... the pre match playlist for Sundays game is by Harry Simmons... read into that what you will! 👀😁
Him returning to fitness would be a nice little boost...
:smt023 :smt023
eastyorkstiger
Tiger Cub

Post by eastyorkstiger »

Wasn’t it Olly Cracknell the other week?
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

We should be going full beans for the European games in my opinion. All of our top players will want to take part, especially the South Africans. McKellar will put out who he thinks, but I don't think anyone needs a rest. These are professional athletes, who have the best possible recovery and preparation structures in place. They're constantly being monitored and there are always players who may have a light training week, drop out of the contact sessions or have a lighter gym session. It's on a case by case basis.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/team-ecc-r1-2324

Leicester Tigers have named their side for their Investec Champions Cup opener against the DHL Stormers at Mattioli Woods Welford Road at 3:15pm on Sunday.

Seven Tigers players will play their first game for the club in the historic competition, including replacement hooker and Academy product, Archie Vanes.

Tigers head coach, Dan McKellar has made three changes to the starting side that defeated Newcastle 47-3 last time out, with Josh Bassett, Solomone Kata and Cameron Henderson rotating into the run-on side.

Leicester Tigers head coach, Dan McKellar said: “Finishing that first block of league games the way we did was really pleasing.”

“The Investec Champions Cup is a competition, personally, I’ve been excited to be a part of since I joined the club. These are the games players and coaches want to be part of and we know there’ll be a big atmosphere at Mattioli Woods Welford Road on Sunday.”

STARTING XV

15 Freddie Steward [75]
14 Josh Bassett [9]
13 Matt Scott [69]
12 Solomone Kata [5]
11 Ollie Hassell-Collins [10]
10 Handré Pollard [19]
9 Ben Youngs [306]

1 Francois Van Wyk [40]
2 Julián Montoya (c) [46]
3 Dan Cole [314]
4 Ollie Chessum [47]
5 Cameron Henderson [46]
6 Hanro Liebenberg [95]
7 Tommy Reffell [105]
8 Jasper Wiese [65]

REPLACEMENTS
16 Archie Vanes [10]
17 James Cronin [21]
18 Joe Heyes [130]
19 Harry Wells [183]
20 Kyle Hatherell [6]
21 Tom Whiteley [15]
22 Jamie Shillcock [11]
23 Dan Kelly [66]
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

https://thestormers.com/dhl-stormers-fa ... leicester/

The DHL Stormers will face the Leicester Tigers for the first time in their Investec Champions Cup opener at Mattioli Woods Welford Road on Sunday.

Experienced prop Brok Harris will lead the team in Leicester, with kick-off on Sunday at 17h15 (SAST).

Flyhalf Jurie Matthee, who featured regularly for DHL Western Province in the Currie Cup last season, will make his DHL Stormers debut, as will lock Dylan Sjoblom who has been named among the replacements.

Clayton Blommeties is at fullback and is joined in the back three by two wings who have experience playing in England in Courtnall Skosan and Ben Loader.

Suleiman Hartzenberg makes his first start of the season at outside centre, forming a midfield partnership with Jean-Luc du Plessis, while Matthee will link up with scrumhalf Paul de Wet.

No.8 Keke Morabe will have flanks Willie Engelbrecht and Nama Xaba on either side of him, while there are also first starts this season for locks Hendre Stassen and Connor Evans.

The front row sees Harris joined by experienced hooker Scarra Ntubeni and loosehead Sti Sithole.

There are also first appearances this season for hooker JJ Kotze, loose forward Junior Pokomela and centre Cornel Smit on the replacements bench.

DHL Stormers Head Coach John Dobson said that his team is looking forward to the challenge.

“Mattioli Woods Welford Road is a renowned rugby venue with a lot of history and we are determined to impress as the first DHL Stormers team to play there.

“It has been something of a balancing act given the six-day turnaround before our home game next week, but we are excited to see how this team performs on the big stage,” he said.

Following the clash in Leicester the DHL Stormers will be back on home turf for four consecutive Summer Sundowner matches at DHL Stadium.

They face back-to-back Investec Champions Cup winners Stade Rochelais on 16 December ahead of Vodacom United Rugby Championship derbies against the Vodacom Bulls (23 December) and Hollywoodbets Sharks 30 December) before taking on the Sale Sharks on 13 January.

DHL Stormers: 15 Clayton Blommetjies, 14 Courtnall Skosan, 13 Suleiman Hartzenberg, 12 Jean-Luc du Plessis, 11 Ben Loader, 10 Jurie Matthee, 9 Paul de Wet, 8 Keke Morabe, 7 Willie Engelbrecht, 6 Nama Xaba, 5 Connor Evans, 4 Hendre Stassen, 3 Brok Harris (captain), 2 Scarra Ntubeni, 1 Sti Sithole.
Replacements: 16: JJ Kotze, 17 Kwenzo Blose, 18 Lee-Marvin Mazibuko, 19 Dylan Sjoblom, 20 Junior Pokomela, 21 Marcel Theunissen, 22 Stefan Ungerer, 23 Cornel Smit.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Stormers B team

No excuses