Tigers v Newcastle Falcons (H) - Premiership - Sunday 3rd December 2023 - KO: 3-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Newcastle Falcons (H) - Premiership - Sunday 3rd December 2023 - KO: 3-00pm

Post by Rugbygramps »

For this fixture I would imagine that the number of away supporters was very low as well
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Newcastle Falcons (H) - Premiership - Sunday 3rd December 2023 - KO: 3-00pm

Post by Tiglon »

LE18 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:30 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:47 pm Sorry but if we don’t get down and support the Tigers it’s no use moaning in a couple of years when the club is in serious danger of going the same way as Wasps, Irish, Worcester and Jersey Reds. Tom and Scott cannot keep bailing the squad out. Those who support from far away cannot be expected to travel on Sundays in awful weather but we need bums on seats. All clubs do.
For those old fashioned types like me yesterday’s game was a brilliant wet weather performance.
Come on Tigers. And well done City and their great supporters at West Brom.
As season ticket holders, the club get our money regardless of whether we turn up or not. As for food and beer, these are contracted out so I doubt if club get any matchday return, probably only the annual contract sum?
The club really needs to sell loads of tickets etc to the casual supporter, or visiting supporters, those rely on travel and weather forecasts etc.
There are different ways to do outsourced catering, but often the venue will receive payment linked to revenue.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:33 am
Ian Cant wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:47 pm Sorry but if we don’t get down and support the Tigers it’s no use moaning in a couple of years when the club is in serious danger of going the same way as Wasps, Irish, Worcester and Jersey Reds. Tom and Scott cannot keep bailing the squad out. Those who support from far away cannot be expected to travel on Sundays in awful weather but we need bums on seats. All clubs do.
For those old fashioned types like me yesterday’s game was a brilliant wet weather performance.
Come on Tigers. And well done City and their great supporters at West Brom.
As season ticket holders, the club get our money regardless of whether we turn up or not. As for food and beer, these are contracted out so I doubt if club get any matchday return, probably only the annual contract sum?
The club really needs to sell loads of tickets etc to the casual supporter, or visiting supporters, those rely on travel and weather forecasts etc.
There are different ways to do outsourced catering, but often the venue will receive payment linked to revenue.
Agreed, but I suspect it would only be minimal?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

LE18 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:11 pm

Why would it be minimal? The outsourced catering are bidding to sell to a captive audience of normally 20k fans. That's a lot of people you can flog food and drink to, especially as rugby fans like a beer. They don't have to generate or maintain a premises, they only have to employ staff for a few hours every other weekend. To the right set up it's a lucrative gig.

Whether it's a set rent or a percentage of takings based on an expected profit margin I don't know. Given our CEO I'd expect us to be getting cash in from it.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:54 pm

Why would it be minimal? The outsourced catering are bidding to sell to a captive audience of normally 20k fans. That's a lot of people you can flog food and drink to, especially as rugby fans like a beer. They don't have to generate or maintain a premises, they only have to employ staff for a few hours every other weekend. To the right set up it's a lucrative gig.

Whether it's a set rent or a percentage of takings based on an expected profit margin I don't know. Given our CEO I'd expect us to be getting cash in from it.
I'd guess it's a set rent plus % of takings (rather than profit). Venue catering isn't my area of expertise though, and there are plenty of different ways to set it up so it's all guesswork.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

ourla wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:37 pm And people say the game has gone soft.

Seems to me the supporters have gone soft.
I remember standing in the pouring rain when we played Richmond. It was that bad the guttering on the old Next stand couldn't cope.

I think we thrashed them 9-6.....or similar. A classic.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Big Dai wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:52 pm

I remember standing in the pouring rain when we played Richmond. It was that bad the guttering on the old Next stand couldn't cope.

Ahh, the good old days :smt005
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

For me I think it was Tigers v Munster when the rain started just before kickoff and went into monsoon mode and those on the terrace were soaked as the water missed the gutters and the terrace was a water cascade.
After that a seat in the Crumbie stand.
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:48 pm

I'd guess it's a set rent plus % of takings (rather than profit). Venue catering isn't my area of expertise though, and there are plenty of different ways to set it up so it's all guesswork.
You are quite right, it was only my guesswork, I have no firm idea that the club gains a lot from outsourcing, its just my thoughts that low attendence gives them virtually nothing, other than saving by not employing their own staff. Ive forgotten how this started. :smt017

edit, I cant see how its practicable for Tigers to go around each subcontractor on the day and extract their % commission. ?
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:36 pm

For me I think it was Tigers v Munster when the rain started just before kickoff and went into monsoon mode and those on the terrace were soaked as the water missed the gutters and the terrace was a water cascade.
After that a seat in the Crumbie stand.
Was that the game where Moody caught a knock on in front off the player to concede the deciding penalty? Not only soaked but "done" by a harsh call.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

LE18 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:59 pm

You are quite right, it was only my guesswork, I have no firm idea that the club gains a lot from outsourcing, its just my thoughts that low attendence gives them virtually nothing, other than saving by not employing their own staff. Ive forgotten how this started. :smt017

edit, I cant see how its practicable for Tigers to go around each subcontractor on the day and extract their % commission. ?
It won't be on the day, it'll be monthly or something like that. Caterer reports revenues to Tigers, Tigers issue invoice for %. If it even is that kind of deal.

"Commercial" income last year for Tigers was £9m. This seems to include a little over £3m in sponsorship, and the other £6m is hospitality boxes, match day catering, and events etc. So, overall, the catering, hospitality and events part of the business is about 30% of total turnover - I.e. a lot.

I don't know anything about Tigers catering setup, but if you assumed average catering spend per matchday supporter of £10, then that's a total of over £200k per matchday. A 10% cut of that is £20k on the Tigers bottom line. Losing half of that due to poor weather isn't nothing. That's a very conservative estimate - serving pints and pasties from a kiosk at that sort of volume has a pretty high margin (compared to most forms of hospitality) so there's a good likelihood that Tigers are able to demand a larger cut than 10%.

Of course, those are all arbitrary made up numbers, but the point is that lost catering revenue from poor attendance might be a meaningful amount of money.

I cant remember what the original point was either :smt044
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Pretty sure we won with a bonus point and played some excellent wet weather rugby.
The ref was lady who had really good game.
It rained cats and dogs most of the day and there were noticeable gaps in the crowd.

Nothing else happened really
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:49 pm
LE18 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:59 pm

It won't be on the day, it'll be monthly or something like that. Caterer reports revenues to Tigers, Tigers issue invoice for %. If it even is that kind of deal.

"Commercial" income last year for Tigers was £9m. This seems to include a little over £3m in sponsorship, and the other £6m is hospitality boxes, match day catering, and events etc. So, overall, the catering, hospitality and events part of the business is about 30% of total turnover - I.e. a lot.

I don't know anything about Tigers catering setup, but if you assumed average catering spend per matchday supporter of £10, then that's a total of over £200k per matchday. A 10% cut of that is £20k on the Tigers bottom line. Losing half of that due to poor weather isn't nothing. That's a very conservative estimate - serving pints and pasties from a kiosk at that sort of volume has a pretty high margin (compared to most forms of hospitality) so there's a good likelihood that Tigers are able to demand a larger cut than 10%.

Of course, those are all arbitrary made up numbers, but the point is that lost catering revenue from poor attendance might be a meaningful amount of money.

I cant remember what the original point was either :smt044
:smt005
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

In simple terms you would have thought that Tigers would be looking to maximise venue catering revenues.

And you would have thought that those revenues would be intrinsically linked to footfall. That is to say an attendance of 20k would have a proportionate increase from that of 15k.

In general terms, if that is not the case, something is wrong.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I seem to recall that the average spend per person based on tickets sold was around £3 to £4 per head on food and drink.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk