Leicester Tigers Women 2023/24 - Vicky Macqueen in 'The Magnificent Fifteen'

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers Women 2023/24 - Vicky Macqueen in 'The Magnificent Fifteen'

Post by LE18 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:01 pm
LE18 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:59 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:57 pm

yep decision making has been poor.

I don't know the squad well enough to judge but is VM being too loyal to last years players?
She needs to grasp the bullet and move Meg Jones to No 10.
Natasha Jones looks more like a flanker than a 10 in body type hard to judge her given the conditions but Meg does seem more lively when at first receiver
Its difficult to say it but Loughborough look a lot fitter than a number of our girls.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers Women 2023/24 - Vicky Macqueen in 'The Magnificent Fifteen'

Post by LE18 »

Thats 2 kicks to touch that have only made 10 yds.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I'm sorry to be critical, the weather is awful for the girls, I'm going to sit back and just watch the rest of the game, I wish them well.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

no need to apologise they are professionals playing in the top domestic league.

Meg Jones needs to be the 10, they do look fitter than us and our decision making has been poor
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

so close, a bit more pace on that kick I think we score, the hang time just gave the defence a chance.

Were playing with an advantage and score from the resulting maul
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

second Tigers try, scored by the replacement 9, they have a player binned for persistent penalties, 12-19, 13 mins to go
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Lightning score their 4th try, that's our chances of winning gone IMO, still a possible LBP to play for 12-24 with 7mins to go
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

full time. Vicky has some big calls to make
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:12 pm full time. Vicky has some big calls to make
A game of 2 halves, much better after changing entire front row at half time also the SH, really made a difference and we had some go forward ball. We ought to start with that final line up in next match, it gets very difficult to turn things around if you are well behind at half time.

Much better team performance, showed some fight in that second half, I still feel that Meg Jones needs to be our focal point, including taking all our kicks, including those to touch to gain more yardage. Good luck ladies in the next match.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

First time I’ve watched the Women’s team this season - impressed with the 2nd half fight back when they could have folded.

Tahlia Brody was the outstanding performer for me; powerful and dynamic, good hands, still looking strong after an 80 minute shift!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:18 pm no need to apologise they are professionals playing in the top domestic league.

Meg Jones needs to be the 10, they do look fitter than us and our decision making has been poor
It's worth making the point that they aren't professionals. I don't know of any of the Tigers squad who are full time professionals at the moment bar maybe Amy Cokagne (injured).
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Jones and Jones both making the (Opta) stats based PWR team of the week.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/cl ... ocky-clark

Rocky Clark has left the coaching staff
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Not surprising. It must be difficult to juggle being a coach and at the same time try and be a regular media pundit and commentator. Must be a lot of clashes of commitments.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

We're down at Ealing this afternoon, 3pm kickoff.

STARTING XV
15. Amanda Swartz [5]
14. Tess Feury [3]
13. Meg Jones [3]
12. Katie Childs [23]
11. Francesca McGhie [3]
10. Natasha Jones (C) [23]
9. Lucy Nye [13]
1. Leah Bartlett [3]
2. Elis Martin [3]
3. Keia Mae Sagapolu Sanele [3]
4. Catha Jacobs [2]
5. Charlotte Fray [9]
6. Eva Donaldson [3]
7. Becky Noon [22]
8. Tahlia Brody [2]

REPLACEMENTS
16. Alana Bainbridge [7]
17. Churchy Knight [23]
18. Lisa Cockburn [2]
19. Zoe Warrington [17]
20. Morgan Richardson [23]
21. Amy Relf [22]
22. Sarah Nicholas [1]
23. Caz Collie [6]

A few tweaks again, but the standout changes are Katie Childs and Elis Martin getting their first league starts for the club. Glad to see Childs get a shot, as I was a fan of hers from last season, and I think she has the potential to be a good player at this level. Really like the look of Martin too, and I suspect she'll become to deputy to Cokayne.

With little foundation to work with, Ealing have had to recruit very well. I'd say they went a bit harder than we did in trying to gather a competitive squad in a short timeframe. Their coach Giselle Mather is also very highly rated, and certainly a potential Red Roses coach. Its a winnable game again for us, but we'll need to go up another gear. Thankfully the weather looks better than last week.

We desperately need to start well. Against Gloucester and Lightning in particular, the first half performances were simply not good enough and put us out of contention. Not sure what the issue is there, but its something the team must address. The good news is we are staying in the fight across the matches, and shows our fitness isn't far off. Winning the 2nd half against two established sides is commendable, but that level needs to become the baseline.