Wayne Barnes

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: Wayne Barnes

Post by Old Hob »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:24 pm Respect for referees is disappearing fast.

Man City's Haaland's tirade of abuse against the ref this weekend is nothing short of unforgiveable, but this has existed in football for so many years that FIFA seem to accept it and don't in any way punish the players who choose to overstep the mark.

Referees are human, so they make mistakes, and without referees there wouldn't be any games.
This referee abuse is why they are thinking of introducing the sin-bin. Lots of opposition from the footie world and, curiously, from Rob Baxter.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:40 pm
Robespierre wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:24 pm Respect for referees is disappearing fast.

Man City's Haaland's tirade of abuse against the ref this weekend is nothing short of unforgiveable, but this has existed in football for so many years that FIFA seem to accept it and don't in any way punish the players who choose to overstep the mark.

Referees are human, so they make mistakes, and without referees there wouldn't be any games.
This referee abuse is why they are thinking of introducing the sin-bin. Lots of opposition from the footie world and, curiously, from Rob Baxter.
From what I’ve seen the objection for football is that teams will end up parking the bus for 10 minutes. In Rugby there is usually a 7-10 point advantage
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Yes, that's what I've seen. But what if the disadvantaged team is behind, with not long to go?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

If red cards have made a difference to head contact, why not just do it for dissent?

It's a lot easier to avoid shouting at a referee in rugby or football than it is to avoid head contact in rugby.

It's either that or we risk a deluge of officials choosing to quit to avoid abuse. To be honest, if I was a referee I'd want to go on strike to make my point - let's see how quickly action is taken when a whole weekend of televised sport is called off...
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:24 pm If red cards have made a difference to head contact, why not just do it for dissent?

It's a lot easier to avoid shouting at a referee in rugby or football than it is to avoid head contact in rugby.

It's either that or we risk a deluge of officials choosing to quit to avoid abuse. To be honest, if I was a referee I'd want to go on strike to make my point - let's see how quickly action is taken when a whole weekend of televised sport is called off...
Interesting you mention striking as I was having a similar thought.
I would imagine that the issue could be that a lot of this abuse, certainly in the case of Barnes and Foley has taken place after the game. Imo it isn’t really an issue during games
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Sorry, my post was a bit of a general sport comment, football needs it more in-match than rugby.

I suppose it's impossible for sport authorities to do anything about online abuse, as said by others it's a societal/technological issue. My only suggestion would be for players and refs not to use social media, but that probably limits their earning potential, so why should they have to?

Social media operators need to do more.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

that's not why there is opposition, if it was limited to dissent people are in favour of it, they are talking of including other things and given that football ref throw yellows around like confetti it wouldn't work.
Last edited by Jimmy Skitz on Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:47 pm

that's not why there is opposition, if it was limited to dissent people are in favour of it, they are talking of including other things and given that football ref throw yellows around like confetti it wouldn't work
Well, presumably, if they are going to change one part then other parts need to be changed as well. I do not follow footie but, from what little I've seen yellow cards are pointless, they don't seem meaningful in any way.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:52 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:47 pm

that's not why there is opposition, if it was limited to dissent people are in favour of it, they are talking of including other things and given that football ref throw yellows around like confetti it wouldn't work
Well, presumably, if they are going to change one part then other parts need to be changed as well. I do not follow footie but, from what little I've seen yellow cards are pointless, they don't seem meaningful in any way.
pretty much, only accumulation leading to bans and a potential second yellow in the same match
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

I've said it for years, football refs don't help themselves, for years people complain about diving for example but unless a player goes down you don't get the foul.

In Leicester's last home game for example our striker was played through, clearly pulled back but stayed up and tried to get onto the ball and shoot, the pull back allowed the keeper to come out and collect the ball and the ref didn't call the play back for the foul. Much later in the game our winger was given a much lighter pull but immediately dropped to his knees and called for a foul and we got the free kick.

What do you think was said to the striker at half time about being honest and us not getting the free kick?

Also rugby refs explain their decisions to the players, even if they disagree they know why, football refs still think they are public school masters reffing local oiks and have no need to explain anything, this leads to frustration, this past weekend our captain was booked for approaching the ref for an explanation of a decision after shoeing players away before hand
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:54 pm I've said it for years, football refs don't help themselves
And that statement there is why there is a problem.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

ourla wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:11 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:54 pm I've said it for years, football refs don't help themselves
please elaborate...
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

ourla wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:11 pm
Absolutely - and deflecting the problem by taking about social media companies doesn’t help either. Personal responsibility is where it starts - and could end.

I get there’s a difference between ‘extreme’ threats of violence and the sort of moaning about officials that is common on this and other forums - but anyone who does this is also part of the problem. To those who think it’s OK - that they’re perfectly entitled to criticise referees and put it in the public - I wonder how they’d feel about others turning up at their place of work and hurling abuse.
call that a spreadsheet? It’s a joke - you’re the worst finance officer in the company. You should be sacked!

There’s a simple process to follow when posting online about individuals:
1. Write it
2. Read it
3. Decide whether you’d be happy to say it to their face. If Yes, post it, if No, delete and try again.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

How many refs,TMO ,touch judges etc do we believe read this forum?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Totally agree Chris111. It is not unusual for companies of a certain size to have a department that scans social media for any mention of their company, in a good or bad way, and take necessary action, even in some circumstances taking action against their own employees.

After the actions taken by Barnes, Farrell and Foley, maybe rugby should consider similar measures