Farrell out of Six nations

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Farrell out of Six nations

Post by Rugbygramps »

trendylfj wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:35 pm I hope he enjoys the time away from the England set-up and I am sure he will be back but in the meantime - Next England Captain????? The easy choice in Otoje but who else would be in the running - Genge? George? Chessum? I hope that when he has decided on the squad he picks a player who the whole squad would follow through a brick wall.
Captaincy is interesting. Farrell, Lawes, Curry, all out of the picture.
Borthwick has worked with Genge before but his form has dipped a little, George would be a short term measure and return to fitness of LCD means he isn’t guaranteed his spot. Itoje for some reason has not been given the captaincy by successive coaches, even when Farrell was unavailable.

It is completely outside Borthwicks compass but I would like him to select a young captain who is going to be around for the next 4 years who he can build a side around.
Our own George Martin springs to mind
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Genge would be the front runner for me.

Ford might not be a bad shout either.

Itoje allegedly doesn't have the right sort of mindset to lead a team, as good a player as he is.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Genge, Ford or Itoje I think gets the gig.

Most likely Ford

Think Jamie George is an outside bet too.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Borthwicks Skipper at Tigers was...........
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:19 pm Genge would be the front runner for me.

Ford might not be a bad shout either.

Itoje allegedly doesn't have the right sort of mindset to lead a team, as good a player as he is.
Ford is the safe bet if they're utilising Smith as a utility 10/15/second playmaker off the bench, which might be likely on current evidence.

Itoje was a very successful skipper at England U20 level but hasn't captained much since IIRC. A leader of sorts he is, but maybe it just doesn't fit with getting the best out of him and the squad?
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Looks like Farrell copped some unnecessary flak from a Sale fan in a video on social media. It's since been taken down and the poster has since posted an apology. Sale also condemned the original post.

https://www.ruck.co.uk/statement-sale-s ... n-farrell/

https://twitter.com/SaleSharksRugby/sta ... 05197?s=19
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:48 am Looks like Farrell copped some unnecessary flak from a Sale fan in a video on social media. It's since been taken down and the poster has since posted an apology. Sale also condemned the original post.

https://www.ruck.co.uk/statement-sale-s ... n-farrell/

https://twitter.com/SaleSharksRugby/sta ... 05197?s=19
Yep and some people have taken it too far having a go at the fan who shouted something (both silly and wrong). Supposedly (according to social media I've seen) the fan who shouted it has family members who are season ticket holders who are now scared to go to games as they have had abuse back..

When will they learn you don't deal with abuse with more abuse....
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Talking of abuse. Has anyone heard any update on the Ugo Monye situation from a couple of weeks ago. It seems to have gone very quiet
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:09 am Talking of abuse. Has anyone heard any update on the Ugo Monye situation from a couple of weeks ago. It seems to have gone very quiet
With the Police so...
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Farrell not in Saracens squad to face Saints
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:30 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:09 am Talking of abuse. Has anyone heard any update on the Ugo Monye situation from a couple of weeks ago. It seems to have gone very quiet
With the Police so...
Nothing in black and white in the papers about the Police but then Police Panda cars were not black and white but light blue & white ~ nothing like a Panda. :smt017
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

I think there's a conflating of 'professional scrutiny' and 'personal criticism' in how this story has been covered.

Farrell is Eng captain and scrutiny of his tackle technique and approach with referees is legitimate. If this didn't happen, it would reflect bias in the reporting. The 'cosy press pack'.

This shouldn't flow over into criticism of him as a person. By all accounts, he's very highly thought of as a leader and - despite what many of us think about Sarries - he's shown tremendous loyalty to them.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Given that Smith totally outplayed Ford yesterday, it is hard to see that the captain's armband will be given to Ford but not out of the question as Ford is more likely to be able to implement Borthwick's game plan than Smith. It would take a change of plan from Borthwick to go with Smith as the FH of the future - Genge seemed to be back to something like his old self and so must still be in the equation. I have a sneaking feeling that George may be the choice until Farrell makes up his mind about when he is returning to the international fold. I do not like the report that he will be given a central contract whilst refusing to play for the international team at present. Either play or don't accept the money until you are ready to play - it almost amounts to a subsidy of his Sarries contract. If he had said I am not playing rugby at all, then I would not expect Saries to pay him and the same applies to England - injuries are different.
Hehehehehehehehe
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

trendylfj wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:25 am Given that Smith totally outplayed Ford yesterday, it is hard to see that the captain's armband will be given to Ford but not out of the question as Ford is more likely to be able to implement Borthwick's game plan than Smith. It would take a change of plan from Borthwick to go with Smith as the FH of the future - Genge seemed to be back to something like his old self and so must still be in the equation. I have a sneaking feeling that George may be the choice until Farrell makes up his mind about when he is returning to the international fold. I do not like the report that he will be given a central contract whilst refusing to play for the international team at present. Either play or don't accept the money until you are ready to play - it almost amounts to a subsidy of his Sarries contract. If he had said I am not playing rugby at all, then I would not expect Saries to pay him and the same applies to England - injuries are different.
Quins forwards completely outplayed Sales therefore Smith outplayed Ford, had they swapped sides Ford would have outplayed Smith.
George was awful for Sarries when he came on yesterday, talked a good game from the sideline but didn’t back it up and Lawes unpicked their lineout.
I haven’t seen anything about Farrell being offered a central contract where was this reported?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

trendylfj wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:25 am Given that Smith totally outplayed Ford yesterday, it is hard to see that the captain's armband will be given to Ford but not out of the question as Ford is more likely to be able to implement Borthwick's game plan than Smith. It would take a change of plan from Borthwick to go with Smith as the FH of the future - Genge seemed to be back to something like his old self and so must still be in the equation. I have a sneaking feeling that George may be the choice until Farrell makes up his mind about when he is returning to the international fold. I do not like the report that he will be given a central contract whilst refusing to play for the international team at present. Either play or don't accept the money until you are ready to play - it almost amounts to a subsidy of his Sarries contract. If he had said I am not playing rugby at all, then I would not expect Saries to pay him and the same applies to England - injuries are different.
Yes,that bugs me too. But unfortunately it’s a fact that some players will get contracts ahead of others who are better players. I’m not questioning Borthwicks integrity but it’s just how it will pan out.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer