Farrell out of Six nations

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: Farrell out of Six nations

Post by Tigerbeat »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:55 am I don't read this as him saying he has mental health problems, just that he wants a bit of a break from the pressure and exposure of international rugby.

I'm sure he's fine and I hope he enjoys a well earned rest from England duties.
England captain Owen Farrell has made himself unavailable for the 2024 Six Nations "in order to prioritise his and his family's mental wellbeing".
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Roadsweeper
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Roadsweeper »

He is obviously a far more complex character than most of us realise.
I absolutely do not and will never boo an England player in any circumstances.
Where I think he falls down is in his media presence and in the way he screams at referees on the pitch.
The first point, when Sarries were caught in the salary cap scandal, I watched his interview, not once did he say sorry or that they brought it upon themselves. The second point was illustrated at the weekend with Luke Pearce, refs are fed up with him.
What we will never know is how popular or not he is with his teammates at Sarries and England. I suspect this may also have something to do with the decision.
Lastly I hope he gets himself together, his wife and kids get themselves in a good place, oh and Leicester beat Sarries in the final next year!
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

mightymouse wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:49 am Try and get his stuff together playing for a club where he feels loved … whilst negotiating his Rugby League career with Wigan? 😂
Also being serious and slightly cynical but possibly true… he has just agreed a deal with Sarries where he is the sole marquee player. Everyone thought this was was odd versus Otoje … but if he has promised not to play for England for couple of years that makes him more valuable to them, so he therefore gets the bigger 💵 💰
This was my thought....

I'm not a fan of OF but never understood the abuse he gets, especially the booing at games
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

daktari wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:38 am
mightymouse wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:49 am Try and get his stuff together playing for a club where he feels loved … whilst negotiating his Rugby League career with Wigan? 😂
Also being serious and slightly cynical but possibly true… he has just agreed a deal with Sarries where he is the sole marquee player. Everyone thought this was was odd versus Otoje … but if he has promised not to play for England for couple of years that makes him more valuable to them, so he therefore gets the bigger 💵 💰
This was my thought....

I'm not a fan of OF but never understood the abuse he gets, especially the booing at games
Booing is not acceptable for anybody at rugby. I am also not a fan of Farrell, but do not understand abuse. If anybody has mental health issues, they should be looked after and look after themselves.

I said that IMHO he is not world class, and that there are far better fly halfs in England and English fly halfs than he is.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:18 am
Tiglon wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:55 am I don't read this as him saying he has mental health problems, just that he wants a bit of a break from the pressure and exposure of international rugby.

I'm sure he's fine and I hope he enjoys a well earned rest from England duties.
England captain Owen Farrell has made himself unavailable for the 2024 Six Nations "in order to prioritise his and his family's mental wellbeing".
Exactly. Mental wellbeing applies to everyone.

Prioritising your mental wellbeing doesn't mean you have a mental health problem, in fact it's a good way to avoid having mental health problems.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Its probably a blessing in disguise. He has a very good and clear mindset kicking goals, but other parts of his game fall down badly. He would not be anywhere near the NZ or French teams. In truth, bet a pound to a penny he will revert back to Rugby League. Time for SB to find a real fly half, and it wont be Smith.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

He is a player that will always divide opinion, though I find some of the comments re his play falling down in certain areas strange to say the least.

For me the acid test is would you have been happy with him playing fly half for Tigers over the last 10 years and imo the vast majority of fans would say yes
Samhorace
Tiger Cub

Post by Samhorace »

fortysix wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:11 am Its probably a blessing in disguise. He has a very good and clear mindset kicking goals, but other parts of his game fall down badly. He would not be anywhere near the NZ or French teams. In truth, bet a pound to a penny he will revert back to Rugby League. Time for SB to find a real fly half, and it wont be Smith.
Finn Smith?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Samhorace wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:41 am
fortysix wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:11 am Its probably a blessing in disguise. He has a very good and clear mindset kicking goals, but other parts of his game fall down badly. He would not be anywhere near the NZ or French teams. In truth, bet a pound to a penny he will revert back to Rugby League. Time for SB to find a real fly half, and it wont be Smith.
Finn Smith?
Having seen Furbank 2nd half v Tigers and against Quins last week imo he’s the better player.

It’s going to be Ford or Marcus Smith in all probability
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

World Rugby should have a bit of introspection about this seeing as they caused the red card debacle which lit this fire.
Last edited by wigworth on Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I believe Farrell is a fantastic rugby player, and he has shown in recent seasons (when Sarries changed their style), that he can play expansively, he is definitely not just a kicking fly half. World class? Well that's debatable, like lots of things in sport.

He is also, from what every coach says, a model professional. Trains harder than anyone, drives high standards from teammates, and never puts in less than 100% on the pitch or training paddock.

He is also a very private person, a complete family man, who doesn't flaunt his family or opinions on social media.

Having said all that, he's a professional sportsman and everyone is entitled to their opinion on him as a player, and he must accept criticism when he makes mistakes, such as high tackles etc....

BUT and it's a big but, he should not have to take abuse from anyone, nor should any England "fan" boo any of their players. That is simply unacceptable. Will Greenwood wrote in the Telegraph (when Farrell was booed in France), that he would not want to go for a pint with any Englishman who did that......quite rightly.

Wayne Barnes has suffered similarly, as have others in different sports. A few journalists and the "keyboard warriors" should be feeling very ashamed following this announcement.

Good luck Owen and I'm sure you will be back in the England reckoning in the not too distant......
Soggypitch
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Finn Smith perhaps?

For me both Farrell and Ford are not really going to be in contention for the next World Cup. Ford in his prime now so could be part of a transition over the next couple of years. Neither Ford nor Farrell will be at their prime in 2027 so realistically this should signal Farrell’s international retirement.
I don’t think Marcus Smith is powerful enough but may be a good bench option.

I just hope Borthwick looks at players who will get better with international exposure rather than experienced club payers who are past the stage where they will learn much more. Not just fly half but all over the parks.

England caps should be about making the team strong now and stronger in the future, not a reward for experience and time around the squad.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I see the Sale fan who there's a video of abusing Farrell, is now seemingly getting abuse himself...

#RugbyValues... lol
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I hope he enjoys the time away from the England set-up and I am sure he will be back but in the meantime - Next England Captain????? The easy choice in Otoje but who else would be in the running - Genge? George? Chessum? I hope that when he has decided on the squad he picks a player who the whole squad would follow through a brick wall.
Hehehehehehehehe
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

OF has played a lot of rugby both for Sarries and England. It seems a very sensible decision to step out for a while. He has had no time off and quite a stressful summer. He can come back easily enough if he chooses to and performs so nothing for him to loose except some money and he probably has sufficient to make a longer term view of this interlude. I hope it is a preventative measure for him and his family. Best of luck to him, other than when playing Tigers of course!