Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:57 am
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:37 am The Mail are reporting that Tigers are feeling more 'bullish' about retaining Worse after he went 'cold' on a move to Stade Francais.
Worse???
I assume autocorrect of Wiese... however it has me laughing...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... ncais.html
Leicester head coach Dan McKellar said: ‘We are in conversations with him (Wiese) and his agent.

‘He loves the Tigers, he has got a young family now, and is very settled. We are hoping we keep him here for the next few years. When you have got someone in your camp and they are enjoying the environment and the players they are playing with, you give yourself a chance of keeping them.

‘I don’t know how many euros he is being offered elsewhere. He is a valuable player and teams from France and Japan are always going to come knocking for world-class players.

‘We just hope the environment and being at the club he’s loved being involved in for the last few years will help keep him.’
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:37 am The Mail are reporting that Tigers are feeling more 'bullish' about retaining Worse after he went 'cold' on a move to Stade Francais.
That's better than the Weise case scenario :smt023
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:03 am
Worse???
I assume autocorrect of Wiese... however it has me laughing...
Oh c**p! Yes, darn autocorrect and being half-asleep while typing it!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Worse???
Auto-correct on my phone. Now corrected.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

fentiger wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:35 am
That's better than the Weise case scenario :smt023
:smt046
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:13 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:35 pm What would posters reaction be to Matt Smith being made permanent attack coach.
He has had as much time in the game as Vesty or Walder and plenty of experienced coaches around him
Potentially a good fit, but we’d need to see some options. Smithy had a few tricks when he played if I remember rightly. The attack so far has had some good signs and if he’s taken some of the reigns there then I’m happy. It’ll develop as players get used to the systems and each other so I’d not be against it imo.

Depends on Dickens’ situation of course - and regardless of how it’s gone I hope all is well with him/family as personal reasons suggest nothing too good.
Smith was always underrated as a player. I remember us playing Ulster (or was it Munster....memory fading...) and Smith tackled their international wing out of the game. He also ran great lines off 10 especially Toby, and was well 'ard.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

jgriffin wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:11 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:13 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:35 pm What would posters reaction be to Matt Smith being made permanent attack coach.
He has had as much time in the game as Vesty or Walder and plenty of experienced coaches around him
Potentially a good fit, but we’d need to see some options. Smithy had a few tricks when he played if I remember rightly. The attack so far has had some good signs and if he’s taken some of the reigns there then I’m happy. It’ll develop as players get used to the systems and each other so I’d not be against it imo.

Depends on Dickens’ situation of course - and regardless of how it’s gone I hope all is well with him/family as personal reasons suggest nothing too good.
Smith was always underrated as a player. I remember us playing Ulster (or was it Munster....memory fading...) and Smith tackled their international wing out of the game. He also ran great lines off 10 especially Toby, and was well 'ard.
Indeed he was an excellent player, probably a yard of pace stopped him getting international recognition!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I think he may have got an A team cap around the same time as Vesty got his 2 caps.

It’s that age old discussion that the best players don’t necessarily make the best coaches.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:34 pm I think he may have got an A team cap around the same time as Vesty got his 2 caps.

It’s that age old discussion that the best players don’t necessarily make the best coaches.
Yeah, I think GM being a case in point!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I think Smith wasn't best used as a player by Tigers.
Tigers needed a centre and he was really a winger.

It perhaps affects how some reflect on him as a player which isn't fair.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Couldnt ever doubt Smithy's committment and was more than capable. Under appreciated.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

chewbacca wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:42 am Couldnt ever doubt Smithy's committment and was more than capable. Under appreciated.
Similar to the Youngs family Tigers runs through his blood
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/lo ... raw-231129

Club has officially announced Montoya as mens captain, Natasha Jones as womens captain & Hanro as Vice captain
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Was mentioned on comms yesterday that Nick Mullins understands that we have offered Wiese enough for him to stay with us and sign a new deal.
Last edited by longlivethecrumbie on Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.