Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Atmosphere during games

Post by KiwiTig »

LE18 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:20 pm
KiwiTig wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:34 am I think it’s a great idea and one part of the evolution of the game that it needs to make to be more entertaining and engaging with its audience.
For example, a loud bass drum sound or a pulse as we wait for the scrum would allow the crowd to interact and build suspense and anticipation
Playing “knock on wood” every time there’s a knock on …just catchy sound bites that would allow the crowd to join in with in the same way we already jeer our opponents as they attempt to catch a high ball
I really like the idea
No drums thank you, The Exeter drummer was present at Ladies game today, his drumming just went through me, plus their wailing.
I’m thinking more controlled and orchestrated use of sound rather than a random geezer uncontrollably bashing his tympanum! (Sounds wrong at every level)
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Lots of fans rightly moaning about the lack of flow to games due to never ending TMO replays. Thank goodness we won on Saturday but youngsters near us started playing on their phones early in the second half because of all the stoppages!
Now Barnes has retired there are no current refs who are confident to make decisions for fear of being wrong.
I thought the atmosphere was ok yesterday considering the endless dithering by the officials who got a lot wrong for both teams!
Winning games will hopefully bring more fans on board and surely seeing such stars as Pollard, Weise, Cole, Youngs, Steward, Chessum and Reffell ( Montoya and Martin) will create an exciting atmosphere.
I think the entertainment, food outlets on the concourse is much improved.
Playing music might please some but for me it’s incidental and I doubt many fans consider playing music at certain times in a game is a factor for buying season tickets and match day tickets.
Look at The Hundred in cricket: good attendances in the first season but now the big crowds are missing!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

It's kind of ironic how fans universally love the Smoke on the Water entrance but some baulk at the idea of having a musically boost during some dead time during the game.

Imagine playing Welcome to the Jungle after an intense passage of play with bodies strewn across the pitch.

I loved the Black Eyed Peas track at the end of the game also.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Bring back the "famous hiss and boo" band...................................................
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

I miss the air horns leading the clapping and the shout of "Tigers"
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I don't miss the inability of fans to clap a simple 4/4 to Smoke on the Water.. :smt009
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:28 pm I don't miss the inability of fans to clap a simple 4/4 to Smoke on the Water.. :smt009
I know! It's always boggled me that, with such a clear rhythm, people are clapping, not even on the off-beat but on some other, imagined beat.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Grannyman

Post by Grannyman »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:42 pm
jgriffin wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:28 pm I don't miss the inability of fans to clap a simple 4/4 to Smoke on the Water.. :smt009
I know! It's always boggled me that, with such a clear rhythm, people are clapping, not even on the off-beat but on some other, imagined beat.
It’s one of the things I look forward to on game day. I’ve even started joining in out of time :smt003
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

Baz wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:53 pm I can't believe that serious fans want this rubbish during breaks in play! How is it exciting compared with play? And what makes anyone think that it will draw youngsters to the game? It's not possible to maintain tension for eighty or more minutes, nor should we want to. There are already enough attempts to turn my sport into a circus; Twickenham has been mentioned appropriately.
As for Nick Mullins...............
We cant have excitement for the full 80 minutes, it would make a lot of the tickers of the old wrinklies go pop. Just like the players the breaks give us time to draw breath, sup a beer and moan about the ref. The wrinklies also need to have a little kip. Add to that if you cant get excited watching our team beat the likes of Saints then there is no hope. Finally we are lucky the PA system is so bad that you cant hear the music properly anyway. :smt005 :smt005
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Grannyman wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:16 pm
Old Hob wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:42 pm
It’s one of the things I look forward to on game day. I’ve even started joining in out of time :smt003
Mate. I've had funny looks when I clap in correct time, and tried to explain to one bloke that a silence could be a beat.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Strange isn't it that those who advocate noise and music at every given opportunity do so because they say it will generate and increase the number of fans attending. Their evidence for this opinion is due to its success at Wasps and Irish and other grounds with smaller crowds, they think the team with the biggest fan base is the one who got it wrong. ?????.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Weren't we so very impressed by the buzzing noise Wasps played over the tannoy to hide the sound of the tumbleweed in their empty stadium. :smt046
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:14 am Strange isn't it that those who advocate noise and music at every given opportunity do so because they say it will generate and increase the number of fans attending. Their evidence for this opinion is due to its success at Wasps and Irish and other grounds with smaller crowds, they think the team with the biggest fan base is the one who got it wrong. ?????.
Except in this instance where it was about maintaining the energy of the crowd during lulls in play.
To my knowledge there hasn’t been one mention of either Wasps or Irish in this thread until you did
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

I know it is not only me observing that several of the Tigers players deliberately avoid the parade of flags held by those youngsters who are so proud to be part of the atmosphere of the game..
Last week Freddie Steward and Dan Cole avoided the flags totally..
I think this shows clear disrespect to the Club and those youngsters as that day might be their highlight of the month.. Come on Tigers players please show some appreciation to the flag tunnel..
ps... I still operate a coat collection service!!! :smt018
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:23 pm I know it is not only me observing that several of the Tigers players deliberately avoid the parade of flags held by those youngsters who are so proud to be part of the atmosphere of the game..
Last week Freddie Steward and Dan Cole avoided the flags totally..
I think this shows clear disrespect to the Club and those youngsters as that day might be their highlight of the month.. Come on Tigers players please show some appreciation to the flag tunnel..
ps... I still operate a coat collection service!!! :smt018
Just for clarity are you talking about from the hotel to ground or when they run on the pitch