Other matches - 17-19th November 2023

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Other matches - 17-19th November 2023

Post by GB72 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:06 am I've witnessed as much racism in Leicester as anywhere else in the country.

We can't just keep pretending that it isn't our problem because we think we're better than that in rugby union or Leicester or however else we try to distance ourselves.

Anything less than "this isn't good enough" simply isn't good enough.
I have to agree. Rugby has the same problems with racism and, often more blatantly, sexism and homophobia.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:34 am
Tiglon wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:06 am I've witnessed as much racism in Leicester as anywhere else in the country.

We can't just keep pretending that it isn't our problem because we think we're better than that in rugby union or Leicester or however else we try to distance ourselves.

Anything less than "this isn't good enough" simply isn't good enough.
That isn’t what I said if you bothered to read it properly, what I’m saying is we are more attuned to it, and no one is pretending there isn’t a problem or that rugby union and Leicester are better.
These are things you keep repeating so maybe you have an issue with it.

As per usual it’s getting off topic, an unacceptable incident occurred and must be dealt with properly
Yes, I really do have an issue with racism. We all should have an issue with racism.

All the fans stood around while Monye was racially abused should have had an issue with racism. But they didn't. There will always be one idiot, what's more worrying is that no one else seemed bothered by it.

Yes, the incident needs to be dealt with, but we, as rugby fans, need to do better at dealing with it ourselves.

The fact that a rugby fan felt comfortable shouting that word at Monye while surrounded by other rugby fans is a problem of our own creation. He thought that rugby fans wouldn't mind him shouting that, and he was right. That's shameful, and it's our fault.

There are regularly threads on here about how to get more people interested in rugby. Dealing with this issue would be a better start than playing more music. How many kids from ethnic minorities choose other sports because they feel more welcome?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I agree with many of your points especially kids choosing other sports like cricket and football where of course there is no institutional racism!!!

You are making a number of assumptions. Firstly that this was a rugby fan. I have never been to Exeter but I understand there are other business premises close by David Lloyd club for example, so how do we know that this idiot wasn’t just in the area.

Secondly I am not doubting that the incident occurred for one second, Ugo has always been forthright in expressing his experiences, however we don’t know exactly where this was or who else was around. If there were so many other people around how come there have been no comments from bystanders or in these days of camera phones film of the incident.
My point is we are all anti racism and feel this needs dealing with but without knowing the exact circumstances imo it is unfair to question other people’s actions and tar everyone with the same brush
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

There is far less so called ''Racism'' in Britain than in any other European Country. Knee jerk reactions always follow incidents like this. A lone drunken idiot, and anyone thinking one can eradicate it is living in cloud cuckoo land.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Unfortunately this is not a problem that is isolated to the UK but only in recent years has its awareness been raised in the public domain. People come form al different walks of life and need to be educated to fully accept it as not acceptable. If only we could have a world where thee was no sadness, just happiness.....no hate, just love and no war but peace and harmony.
This problem is a minor one in the bigger picture of rugby but needs to be eradicated.
Lets promote rugby and support our teams together.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Pmvl
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Pmvl »

According to the Ruck Exeter have found the incident on CCTV & passed it on to the Devon & Cornwall police and state they are working closely with them, no mention of if it was a rugby fan
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

fortysix wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:53 pm There is far less so called ''Racism'' in Britain than in any other European Country. Knee jerk reactions always follow incidents like this. A lone drunken idiot, and anyone thinking one can eradicate it is living in cloud cuckoo land.
So, what? Are you suggesting it should just be ignored because it was a drunk? Or that, we shouldn't deal with it because it's better here than in other places?

Or, perhaps, you just haven't been affected by it, or seen people be affected by it?
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100