6 Nations Coverage

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

6 Nations Coverage

Post by GB72 »

The stories are starting that the BBC cannot afford the 6 Nations rights and may not have any coverage.

Interesting one this. Yes, rugby needs an audience and the 6 Nations is a great showcase for the sport on terrestrial TV and I would hope that ITV or another terrestrial channel would pick up their rights.

But, and there is a big but, the BBC can spend a hundred million pounds on match of the day so it is not that they cannot afford the 6 nations, it is just that they would rather spend massive amounts on football than on other sporting events.

They have also not shown any interest in the wider game in years, happy to show the crown jewel events and nothing more whilst other channels show at least some club rugby.

Also, rugby needs the money and cannot sell itself on the cheap.

On the balance, I am not shedding a tear that the BBC may lost their rights but I do hope that another terrestrial channel picks them up;.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: 6 Nations Coverage

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Six Nations rights are more expensive (£115m p/a) than football Premier League highlights (£70m p/a).
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 6 Nations Coverage

Post by GB72 »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:54 pm Six Nations rights are more expensive (£115m p/a) than football Premier League highlights (£70m p/a).
Split between ITV and BBC. They are still much higher than I assumed though. Then again, I assume that is split 6 ways together with what comes in from the deals in France and Italy.