Leicester Tigers Women 2023/24 - Vicky Macqueen in 'The Magnificent Fifteen'

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Farmboy

Re: Leicester Tigers Women 2023/24 - Vicky Macqueen in 'The Magnificent Fifteen'

Post by Farmboy »

Wondered when TNT would use double headers to show seeing that it wouldn't involve extra setting up costs.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers Women 2023/24 - Vicky Macqueen in 'The Magnificent Fifteen'

Post by Darc Tiger »

Lisa Cockburn confirmed, as well as Sarah Nicholas from Worcester. Another former Lichfield player to add to the collection. Brings a bit more depth and experience at halfback that I think we need.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Darc Tiger wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:35 pm Lisa Cockburn confirmed, as well as Sarah Nicholas from Worcester. Another former Lichfield player to add to the collection. Brings a bit more depth and experience at halfback that I think we need.
I think that's correct. Jones N has just turned 33 too, and with all our previous crop of 10s they've not been in the top division for several seasons, so like the arrival of Lucy Nye, that current top-flite experience is invaluable perhaps.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:38 am
Darc Tiger wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:35 pm Lisa Cockburn confirmed, as well as Sarah Nicholas from Worcester. Another former Lichfield player to add to the collection. Brings a bit more depth and experience at halfback that I think we need.
I think that's correct. Jones N has just turned 33 too, and with all our previous crop of 10s they've not been in the top division for several seasons, so like the arrival of Lucy Nye, that current top-flite experience is invaluable perhaps.
I hadnt watched our Ladies previously but I did pick out our no 10 as a weak link, (sorry) so if new Lady is a 10 then hopefully she will strengthen the back line. My first reaction was put Meg Jones at 10, she looks as though she would create and cause opposition havoc, could swap her with the other Jones.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

LE18 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:29 pm
I hadnt watched our Ladies previously but I did pick out our no 10 as a weak link, (sorry) so if new Lady is a 10 then hopefully she will strengthen the back line. My first reaction was put Meg Jones at 10, she looks as though she would create and cause opposition havoc, could swap her with the other Jones.
It's a difficult one. Jones N has Prem and representative experience and is obviously the club skipper. Jones M seems comfortable and is international class in several positions and De Fillipo is obviously rated at 12. I wonder if we will see a bit of variety as the season progresses? There seems to be a fair bit of positional versatility amongst the other outside backs (11/13/14/15).
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:07 am
LE18 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:29 pm

It's a difficult one. Jones N has Prem and representative experience and is obviously the club skipper. Jones M seems comfortable and is international class in several positions and De Fillipo is obviously rated at 12. I wonder if we will see a bit of variety as the season progresses? There seems to be a fair bit of positional versatility amongst the other outside backs (11/13/14/15).
Yes I agree with you, but like I said 10 seems to be the position I would look to improve.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

STARTING XV
1.Leah Bartlett [1]
2. Alana Bainbridge [5]
3. Keia Mae Sagapolu Sanele [1]
4.Charlotte Fray [8]
5. Catha Jacobs *
6. Eva Donaldson [1]
7.Morgan Richardson [21]
8.Becky Noon [20]
9.Amy Relf [20]
10.Natasha Jones (C) [21]
11. Fran Mcghie [1]
12. Rebecca DeFilippo [4]
13. Meg Jones [1]
14. Caz Collie [5]
15.Tess Feury [1]

REPLACEMENTS
16. Elis Martin [1]
17. Churchy Knight [22]
18.Lisa Cockburn *
19.Amy Orrow [5]
20. Zoe Warrington [16]
21. Lucy Nye [11]
22. Sarah Nicholas *
23. Amelia Tutt [2]

Quite like that selection. Catha Jacobs on debut alongside Fray bulks up the pack a bit. Backrow probably a bit more balanced. Mostly continuity in the backline. Both signings from Worcester on the bench.

This is a massive ask, though. G-H haven't gone full noise, but they're still very strong and know each other very well. I'll be happy if we can make them work for it, and hopefully we can put away some good tries again.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

It looked like it was going to be a very rough evening, as GH were ruthless in the first half. Dominating all areas, and Emma Sing kicking beautifully to go in 40-0.

But huge credit to our squad for regrouping at the break and making the 2nd half a real battle. To actually grow stronger as the game went on against such a good side is testament to the work done. A pair of sharp finishes ensured we won the 2nd half 14-12.

That's two of our toughest fixtures out of the way, with plenty of positives and lessons to take. Big couple of weeks now to try and push on to the next step.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

STARTING XV
1. Lisa Cockburn [1]
2. Alana Bainbridge [6]
3. Ofure Ugiagbe [23]
4.Eva Donaldson [2]
5. Catha Jacobs [1]
6. Becky Noon [21]
7. Morgan Richardson [22]
8. Tahlia Brody [1]
9. Lucy Nye [12]
10. Natasha Jones (C) [22]
11. Francesca McGhie [2]
12. Rebecca DeFilippo [5]
13. Meg Jones [2]
14. Tess Feury [2]
15. Amanda Swartz [4]

REPLACEMENTS
16. Elis Martin [2]
17. Leah Bartlett [2]
18. Keia Mae Sagapolu Sanele [2]
19. Maddie Massey [2]
20. Zoe Warrington [17]
21. Amy Relf [21]
22. Katie Childs [22]
23. Caz Collie [6]

A just a handful of tweaks again, but broadly sticking with a core group. Good to have Brody back in after a head knock in the opener. Lightning are down a few of their big names, so I think this is winnable, but only if we can put the lessons of the last couple of months into practice. Have to be more solid up front and in defence.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

the difference is quality seems to be quite large, which is scary given Lightning were 8th last season
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:47 pm the difference is quality seems to be quite large, which is scary given Lightning were 8th last season
We are looking poor in various departments and decision making, ie why touch down when we play ball back when you have plenty of time to put in a clearing kick.?
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

LE18 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:50 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:47 pm the difference is quality seems to be quite large, which is scary given Lightning were 8th last season
We are looking poor in various departments and decision making, ie why touch down when we play ball back when you have plenty of time to put in a clearing kick.?
This is starting to look like a massacre to me, got to step up somewhere.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

yep decision making has been poor.

I don't know the squad well enough to judge but is VM being too loyal to last years players?
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:57 pm

I don't know the squad well enough to judge but is VM being too loyal to last years players?
She needs to grasp the bullet and move Meg Jones to No 10.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

LE18 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:59 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:57 pm

She needs to grasp the bullet and move Meg Jones to No 10.
Natasha Jones looks more like a flanker than a 10 in body type hard to judge her given the conditions but Meg does seem more lively when at first receiver