Leicester Tigers Women 2023/24 - Vicky Macqueen in 'The Magnificent Fifteen'

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers Women 2023/24 - Vicky Macqueen in 'The Magnificent Fifteen'

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I notice on the squad page, experienced Scotland prop Lisa Cockburn is now listed. She'd travelled to the recent WXV2 tournament as a Worcester player, so has obviously now moved to us.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers Women 2023/24 - Vicky Macqueen in 'The Magnificent Fifteen'

Post by Darc Tiger »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:58 pm I notice on the squad page, experienced Scotland prop Lisa Cockburn is now listed. She'd travelled to the recent WXV2 tournament as a Worcester player, so has obviously now moved to us.
Good spot. A solid pickup. Experienced, centrally contracted and I think she plays both sides. Quite tall for a prop.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

First PWR match is this Sunday at MWWR, 1500!

STARTING XV
15 Amanda Swartz [3]
14 Caz Collie [4]
13 Meg Jones *
12 Rebecca DeFilippo [3]
11 Francesca McGhie *
10 Natasha Jones (c) [20]
9 Lucy Nye [10]
1 Jade Jones [14]
2 Alana Bainbridge [4]
3 Ofure Ugiagbe [22]
4 Eva Donaldson *
5 Becky Noon [19]
6 Morgan Richardson [20]
7 Roisin McBrien (vc) [21]
8 Tahlia Brody *

REPLACEMENTS
16 Elis Martin *
17 Leah Bartlett *
18 Keia Mae Sagapolu Sanele *
19 Charlotte Fray [7]
20 Amy Orrow [4]
21 Amy Relf [19]
22 Katie Childs [21]
23 Tess Feury *

Its the strongest squad we've put out so far, but we're still easing some players in, and giving others opportunities. 8 debutants, and a pretty strong looking bench. Still a bit concerned about the size of this back 5, but its good to see Charlotte Fray available. A potentially exciting backline, but clearly we'll need to give them a better platform.

Realistically its going to be a very tough couple of openers against last years' two finalists. Have to try and build over the next few weeks, and look to target Lightning and Ealing in rounds 3 and 4.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Oh, and it looks like Natasha Jones and Leah Bartlett got engaged last week! :smt041
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Planning to go to the ladies game today. Does anyone know if they managed to download the ladies season tickets onto our card ans also can we sit in our own seats or is it just the big stand that’s open ?
A2O
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

20-20 going in to the last ¼
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

So where on Tigers website do we know the result of our first Prem. game and all details..
Unlike the men's games where there is a running commentary??????
Oh where is Gary Sherrard when you needed him??? sad loss to the club.
Perhaps the Operations Manager Chris. Rose could assist but he has apparently left too.
BBC online not giving the results either. Come on Tigers support the Women's game please.. :smt018
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
peteD

Post by peteD »

BBC now reporting 27-44 to Exeter. looks like it was close till the final 1/4
Farmboy

Post by Farmboy »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:11 pm So where on Tigers website do we know the result of our first Prem. game and all details..
Unlike the men's games where there is a running commentary??????
Oh where is Gary Sherrard when you needed him??? sad loss to the club.
Perhaps the Operations Manager Chris. Rose could assist but he has apparently left too.
BBC online not giving the results either. Come on Tigers support the Women's game please.. :smt018
Similar to the Men's game the web site had running updates during the game which ,like after the men's games, disappeared quickly.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

The ladies played well and scored some good tries but ran out of steam and couldn’t cope with Exeter’s rolling maul.
A2O
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:16 pm The ladies played well and scored some good tries but ran out of steam and couldn’t cope with Exeter’s rolling maul.
We need to sign 14 more Meg Jones, she was brilliant today, very tenacious, quick, super place kicker.
I think I would move her to No 10, as I wasnt impressed by our Captain, very poor kicking from hand, especially trying to clear our line, and only ever seemed to ship ball along when attacking.
Exeter were very quick in the backs but their rolling maul was unstoppable, once inside our 22 they scored almost at will, it did not help us as we gave away too many penalties and from the ensuing lineouts scored almost at will. We responded gamely mostly for 60 mins with some fast runs down the left wing but by the end we had run out of steam, our scrum was dominent early on in game but faded later, our lineout was not good either and hooker must find her jumper.
This was however a very pleasing game, if we can solve the maul we will be in a better position to win games. Enjoyed the game, well done. :smt038 801 attendence.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:59 am Planning to go to the ladies game today. Does anyone know if they managed to download the ladies season tickets onto our card ans also can we sit in our own seats or is it just the big stand that’s open ?
Sorry I didn't check the thread this morning. I trust you figured it out.

For anybody else, the games should be preloaded onto your season ticket. Its unreserved seating in the bottom half of the big stand, and there's just the one entrance on the hospital side of the ground.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

The team can be proud of that effort. I had been fearing the worst after the tough cup campaign, and the very limited time some of our players have been in camp, but we were only a score behind going into the closing stages. A big improvement in just a few weeks, and its clear how the internationals have already made an impact on the squad.

Defence was better (for the most part) and Exeter's success mainly came as a result of their superior lineout and maul. Our scrum held up pretty well, even under some pressure, but the lineout is still an issue. Its not all on the hookers. You can see the difference in class with how the Exeter lineout functions as a unit. The step up at the setpiece from Championship level is enormous. Still think we're a bit underweight against the best teams, particularly with both Richardson and McBrien in the backrow, though neither played poorly. Its just pure bulk.

Really happy with a try bonus, and each one was well taken. Meg Jones is magic. Made the first all by herself, and a great offload to get us in the corner for the 2nd. She's a constant threat with the ball, hard working, and she was driving the energy in the team. Fran McGhie showed her jet-shoes and finishing ability for the 3rd. The fourth try came from a cheeky maul setup in open play near the line.

Sagapolu was everywhere off the bench. Very dynamic both sides of the ball. We've got a star in the making there with the young Eagle. Charlotte Fray was a standout last season, and also had a big influence off the bench. She has the natural size and ability to make the step up. Both had key roles in the 2nd score.

I think Gloucester, Sarries and Bristol will probably be clear at the top this season, but Exeter won't be far behind, and this has given me faith that we can compete. Looking at the age/experience profile in the squad, we'll only improve in time.
Lutontiger

Post by Lutontiger »

Think they did well - certainly better than I expected! Well done ladies. Now we just need proper score reports on the website sooner.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Our double header match vs Loughborough Lightning on Sunday December 3rd has been selected for TNT coverage