Re: Atmosphere during games

Post by Rugbygramps »

All posts lead to scrums 😂
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Any music needs to be quiet enough to allow people to discuss the play. Just listening to the Exeter PA cutting in with some very odd music! I agree that the announcer should not be partisan either. A heart beat sound with and stoppage other than injuries may subliminally speed up setting and keep some energy. I would start with that and see how it goes.
We are competing with sports coverage of newer versions of cricket and also american football where the actual play is short compared to the waiting. Rugby does not need to be like that but has slowly developed into it. Careful set of the scrum is important for safety but is not too slow, as is the lineout and Tigers are probably one of the worst offenders at the huddle and slow walk to the line.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I agree, Offside. The Exeter game makes the point. As others have said, and as I alluded to, the racket at Twickenham is deafening, making it uncomfortable, not what was intended I suppose . I remember the announcer at Irish when at Reading shouting "Come on you Irish" when they were 20 points down with 5 minutes to go. This kind of jollying along just becomes risible after a while. I like Tigers' announcers' neutrality. It's all very well changing to attract new customers but not at the expense of losing some of the game's soul.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Funny that on the Saints unoffy they talk about how much noise the Tigers fans make and they wish they had an atmosphere like Welford Road has.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Baz

Post by Baz »

I can't believe that serious fans want this rubbish during breaks in play! How is it exciting compared with play? And what makes anyone think that it will draw youngsters to the game? It's not possible to maintain tension for eighty or more minutes, nor should we want to. There are already enough attempts to turn my sport into a circus; Twickenham has been mentioned appropriately.
As for Nick Mullins...............
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

I would be happy with the game I first saw at Welford Road in the days we played the Barbarians over christmas but I fear the current cost base of the game needs more income and that means more viewers. New viewers to the premiership have not come to the game as it is currently being presented so we need to consider how they will be tempted or we need to drastically reduce the cost base, or come up with another plan.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

If the class action suit by former players over head injuries succeeds we won't need another plan because the game will be finished.,
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Baz wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:53 pm I can't believe that serious fans want this rubbish during breaks in play! How is it exciting compared with play? And what makes anyone think that it will draw youngsters to the game? It's not possible to maintain tension for eighty or more minutes, nor should we want to. There are already enough attempts to turn my sport into a circus; Twickenham has been mentioned appropriately.
Nobody said anything about wanting breaks in play. They naturally occur during the game and looking to maintain the energy levels.
No body is wanting to turn your game into a circus.
Nick Mullins is so bad he was chosen to commentate on the World Cup final.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:40 pm If the class action suit by former players over head injuries succeeds we won't need another plan because the game will be finished.,
260 plus players last time I saw
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Baz wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:53 pm I can't believe that serious fans want this rubbish during breaks in play! How is it exciting compared with play? And what makes anyone think that it will draw youngsters to the game? It's not possible to maintain tension for eighty or more minutes, nor should we want to. There are already enough attempts to turn my sport into a circus; Twickenham has been mentioned appropriately.
I agree with your sentiments, the break in play music by Quins, Newcastle and at anytime during the game for Bath,if they are camped on Tigers line re. Twickenham needs to stop. But on Twickenham it's a circus anyway as about 30% are just drinking,disturbing spectators for loading or unloading more beer that I no longer bother..
Perhaps a time clock on scrums should be made, too long put in to the opposition unless they are deemed at fault. TMO on Saturday was totally over the top and thought he had the whistle himself.
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I think it’s interesting that the same posters that say not on my watch, and the way to solve some of the games problems is to go back to the 1980s, are some of the same ones who are worried about the state of the game and club’s financial stability.

This was a small discussion point that isn’t going to change anything, but at the slightest mention of anything new people start throwing their arms up in the air.
The professional game in this country is in severe trouble, if the class action suit is successful it will fail and within 5 years there will be no professional club sides in England, if we’re lucky there will be 4 regions.

All IMO
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

If the product on the pitch is enthralling that helps, a quicker game far too many breaks that also helps the oversized players to recover.
Better communication to fans to properly engage them, saying regularly how important the fans are then doing the mushroom treatment with them doesn't & can't wash anymore.

Any gimmicks should be "outside" of the match itself, forced jollity & involvement aren't the answer.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

KiwiTig wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:34 am I think it’s a great idea and one part of the evolution of the game that it needs to make to be more entertaining and engaging with its audience.
For example, a loud bass drum sound or a pulse as we wait for the scrum would allow the crowd to interact and build suspense and anticipation
Playing “knock on wood” every time there’s a knock on …just catchy sound bites that would allow the crowd to join in with in the same way we already jeer our opponents as they attempt to catch a high ball
I really like the idea
No drums thank you, The Exeter drummer was present at Ladies game today, his drumming just went through me, plus their wailing.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

+ 1
A2O
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Offside wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:49 pm Any music needs to be quiet enough to allow people to discuss the play. Just listening to the Exeter PA cutting in with some very odd music! I agree that the announcer should not be partisan either. A heart beat sound with and stoppage other than injuries may subliminally speed up setting and keep some energy. I would start with that and see how it goes.
We are competing with sports coverage of newer versions of cricket and also american football where the actual play is short compared to the waiting. Rugby does not need to be like that but has slowly developed into it. Careful set of the scrum is important for safety but is not too slow, as is the lineout and Tigers are probably one of the worst offenders at the huddle and slow walk to the line.
Totally agree re safety in the scrum-vital