Atmosphere during games

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Atmosphere during games

Post by Rugbygramps »

I do agree Tiglon but until it’s tried we don’t know.
I wouldn’t want it every break, I personally find nothing more irritating than hearing the mighty Quin every 5 minutes, but introducing it gradually to see if there is any impact on energy levels, at low times, shouldn’t be difficult.
Also ask the punters the question, maybe at a fans Q & A, or actually ask fans who are attending the game on match days
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:30 am Not so much the noise more the energy that a home team can generate from the crowd , and can it affect performance if the crowd energy drops.

Old Hob you make some valid points. However your user name and some of you rhetoric do back up Healeys point especially if the game is looking to grow its fan base
That’s funny and true
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

I think our starting point is to collectively agree that the game does need to change to make the whole “product” more attractive and entertaining to not only sustain the game as a viable concern but develop it to a new audience.

If we can agree that change is required, what’s the consequence of doing nothing ?

I think we all know the answer to that
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Soggypitch wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:10 am
ads wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:56 am
ay2oh wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:31 am Very disrespectful
Sorry if you feel that way. But its just my opinion, you're more than entitled to disagree. At 47 I've seen enough to know that the kids are future. We need to get them watching in the stands regularly. If that means a few gimmicks and putting a few noses out of joint, then so be it.

Also, I I yo used the term wrinkleys, as that's what Nick Mullins was quoted as saying.
I'm pretty sure he was being ironic ads!
It's hard to tell on here sometimes. I wasn't being entirely serious in my original post really. Agree about scrum resets and stuff.

Can't say I agree about the black eyed peas though. The world would be a better place if they never got played in public again!
Yorkietiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkietiger »

No we do not music blasting out or people telling us when to cheer, like they have at Quins and Newcastle. I agree the game has too many stoppages, scrum resets, endless TMO intervention and what have you. They are what needs addressing, not anything else.
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

No particularly objection... personally would prefer not to go down this route but it's not some hill that I'm going to die on!

That being said, if they do start doing this, for goodness sake don't make it obscenely loud like at Twickenham... that IS something that would make me reconsider keeping my ticket - it was deeply unpleasant last time I went there and I couldn't even have a conversation with my brother, who was sitting next to me! :smt012
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Some very interesting and diverse points as I expected.

Personally I think there is big difference in being told when to cheer and doing something to maintain the energy level, buzz around the ground during lulls in play.

I agree that scrums and the refereeing of them are a problem, but that is a whole separate issue that need’s dealing with without de powering them.
Like it not the TMO system is here to stay at the top levels of the game, and there will always be breaks in play due to injuries
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:56 pm Some very interesting and diverse points as I expected.

Personally I think there is big difference in being told when to cheer and doing something to maintain the energy level, buzz around the ground during lulls in play.

I agree that scrums and the refereeing of them are a problem, but that is a whole separate issue that need’s dealing with without de powering them.
Like it not the TMO system is here to stay at the top levels of the game, and there will always be breaks in play due to injuries
I totally agree Rugbygramps. Noone is being told to cheer or sing and no one is suggesting anything of the sort. An instant resistance to any new idea or suggestion thwarts any kind of progress. We are aroused or stimulated by all our senses and the use sound and light can massively create all kinds of positive atmospheres and environments
Scrums could be marshalled much better I also agree
It genuinely saddens me that an attitude of we have never done things like this before so we shouldn’t try to suggest anything new will seriously affect how rugby helps secure a sustainable future.

Of course we are all entitled to our own opinions
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Soggypitch wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:10 am
ads wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:56 am
ay2oh wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:31 am Very disrespectful
Sorry if you feel that way. But its just my opinion, you're more than entitled to disagree. At 47 I've seen enough to know that the kids are future. We need to get them watching in the stands regularly. If that means a few gimmicks and putting a few noses out of joint, then so be it.

Also, I I yo used the term wrinkleys, as that's what Nick Mullins was quoted as saying.
I'm pretty sure he was being ironic ads!

I'm not sure about lots of extra music.......but if it was introduced as an experiment, I would approach with an open mind (despite being a near wrinklie at 60 :smt001 ).

But Sapajo is right with regard to the scrum resets, the ref needs to play on much more often and give more free kicks not penalties unless they are 100% sure of the offender. And the winner of the free kick can't just opt for another scrum! Also I think the clock should be stopped the moment a scrum is reset and not started again until the ball is put in the next time.

Back to music, I really miss The Black Eyed Peas and REM after the final whistle, please bring them back!!!
Re musical interludes bring back the Hiss and Boo Band lol, and
Re the scrums return to straight put ins so props must concentrate on supporting the Hooker instead of their current job of conning Sir and 'winning ?' Pens. Push 'em off not drag 'um down'.

Re the clock I agree it should stop and start on the ball being in play and not before set-pieces are set.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

A few points ...
  • Music & "gimmicks" won't "attract kids" because kids are not a monolith. They'd attract some adults & some kids, and put off others.
  • The atmosphere is undeniably quieter and more passive than in years gone by
  • The presence of a TMO & their interjections dampens the atmosphere & encourages negative atmosphere. We saw yesterday how the nonsense TMO intervention sucked the life out of the atmosphere early on & it took time for it to build back up. In other cases you don't get the roar of the try as the referee basically goes "I dunno" & we get to watch the TV for a bit.
  • It's not the scrums, it's the pace of play & the fact we often get injury breaks just before the scrum that is the issue. Combined with the TMO they sometimes just show the contentious bits in the dead times which causes anxiety & makes it not very fun.
  • The TV coverage is woeful & negative. Austin Healey just whinges and moans and highlights the negativity in the game. Makes for a generally negative mood and atmosphere around the game.
  • The games are, fundamentally, meaningless. Doesn't matter if we lose, there is no relegation and 8 from 10 teams get in the main European Cup (that they've slim chance at winning or progressing much in). Doesn't matter if we win, you've got to win the cup games afterwards anyway.
Basically you can't make a silk purse from a pig's ear & there is a lot of 1%ers to improve that are outside our direct control.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Saw an interesting comment from Nigel Owens who feels that the TMO is now more in charge of the game than the referee
PJM
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PJM »

For me SK88 hits the nail on the head. Some very good points. I don't mind a bit of music but not too partisan and definitely not the deafening rubbish played at twickers. No to mighty quin, indian war sounds, bass drums or anything too intrusive.

How about showing top ten tries from last season provided you can stop and start the sequence as the on pitch play is halted.

What I would really like is relegation and promotion, who cares how big the ground is as long as its safe. Sell tickets for the numbers of spectators allowed in the ground licence and let their be a consequence to being bottom of the prem, even if its Tigers.

A trophy for those topping the league at the end of the season, premiership trophy.
A play off amongst the top four if that’s what PRL want, the premiership knock out cup.

Call them what you want but how can you win the league then not be crowned “champions”. The knock out competition may prolong the suspense but we all know who deserves the kudos of winning the prem.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

TMO and endless video slow mos. Paralysis by analysis.
I'm not cynical just experienced
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Don’t particularly want music through speakers playing or dancers .or people telling when to shout .. and such like .. all of which has been done elsewhere before and not successfully.
However I have no objections to a drum or a brass band to liven things up.
Actually the atmosphere was quite good yesterday and better than it’s been all season. It’s a shame that it takes the noisy neighbours to turn up for both the team and the crowd to get up for it.
I think Ben Kay’s reaction to Healys comments was correct. Get the scrum to get a move on and prevent all these endless delays, which does suck the life and the energy out the game.
The referees and their interference is the problem and always has been.
As with almost all the problems in game they can almost all be solved by going back to how it was before they interfered with the laws.
Scrums should come together with no interference from the referee with only one law .. “no charging” .. The scrum half should put in the ball immediately with only one law “put it down middle if the tunnel”
The hookers should strike with no “foot up”
Then they should get on with it .. only “collapsing” should be penalised. Otherwise let the props do their worst. Far too many penalties for everything.. this is why it drags on and on to set them up .. keep the ref out of it and the whole thing will speed up and with it the game will improve dramatically.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

mightymouse wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:55 pm Don’t particularly want music through speakers playing or dancers .or people telling when to shout .. and such like .. all of which has been done elsewhere before and not successfully.
However I have no objections to a drum or a brass band to liven things up.
Actually the atmosphere was quite good yesterday and better than it’s been all season. It’s a shame that it takes the noisy neighbours to turn up for both the team and the crowd to get up for it.
I think Ben Kay’s reaction to Healys comments was correct. Get the scrum to get a move on and prevent all these endless delays, which does suck the life and the energy out the game.
The referees and their interference is the problem and always has been.
As with almost all the problems in game they can almost all be solved by going back to how it was before they interfered with the laws.
Scrums should come together with no interference from the referee with only one law .. “no charging” .. The scrum half should put in the ball immediately with only one law “put it down middle if the tunnel”
The hookers should strike with no “foot up”
Then they should get on with it .. only “collapsing” should be penalised. Otherwise let the props do their worst. Far too many penalties for everything.. this is why it drags on and on to set them up .. keep the ref out of it and the whole thing will speed up and with it the game will improve dramatically.

Agree! :smt023
I know it's another wrinkley reminiscing here but the speed of the scrums pre Pro days was far higher. The skulduggery of the 'Front row union' was there but not to the detriment to the entertainment and flow of the game.