Clubs in Financial woes...

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Clubs in Financial woes...

Post by RagingBull »

kpj tiger wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:15 pm So I was doing some reading of the last RFU financial report, it suggests £26.7m funding for professional clubs last year, it's my understanding that championship clubs now currently get £150k per season in RFU funding, so £1.8m a year. £24.9m left.

I can't find clear figures on how much RFU funding goes into the Premiership, does anybody know what that figure should be?

On page 17 when talking about the Premier 15's it says "A new operating company will manage the league from season 2023/24, with up to £220m to be invested in the professional women’s game over the next decade." Its a bit ambiguous as to if they're talking about their own money or if that's a projection of RFU funding + sponsorship's etc but that is 22m a year which seems way too high to be true.
The last RFU and prem deal in 2016 was worth £27.5m-a-year for the prem clubs and was for 8 years. So guessing thats where most of it goes.

I heard eggchasers mentioned that about premier 15's so did some digging

Basically the RFU and Prem clubs will be spending £48 million combined over the 10 years (So around £4.8 million a year between both the RFU and Premiership clubs I don't know how the split will work) the rest is the RFU's projected revenue brought in (Be it sponsorships, sales, TV etc) and reinvested.

"Achieving this ambitious vision and mission for the league will require significant investment. The
overall cost of the league will total £222m over a ten year period, with projected revenues expected
to be £174m. From 2023/24 the RFU and clubs will invest the remaining £48m"

Eggchasers made it seem like it was £22 million a year from just the RFU.

Still a decent wedge though, and also struggle to see how the RFU got that figure of £174 million.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/RugbyTimes/status/1 ... cCwZw&s=19

So do we accept that Exeter made an admin error or did they have cash flow issues?

Without 4 clubs going to the wall recently I'd take them on their word...
As it is I'm genuinely unsure if we should be worried
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.