Zero Hours Contracts

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Zero Hours Contracts

Post by teds »

tigerburnie wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:16 am We are going back to the days where people stand at the mill gates and the gaffer says "who will work all day for a pound" to the gathered peasants and a man says "I'll do it for 75 pence as I'm desperate. "Jobs yours" says the gaffer, "have you got any kids who will work for a bowl gruel"?
More and more of us will be replaced by AI and robots. It will soon be a gafferbot, deploying peasant bots, who won’t need any gruel.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

teds wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:05 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:16 am We are going back to the days where people stand at the mill gates and the gaffer says "who will work all day for a pound" to the gathered peasants and a man says "I'll do it for 75 pence as I'm desperate. "Jobs yours" says the gaffer, "have you got any kids who will work for a bowl gruel"?
More and more of us will be replaced by AI and robots. It will soon be a gafferbot, deploying peasant bots, who won’t need any gruel.
Will there be Luddite bots as well I wonder..................................or referee bots in rugby?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Correct. Zero hour contracts will inevitably lead to a modern day Dickensian dystopia.

:smt044
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Previously casual workers got paid for hours worked and nothing more with no guarantee that they would be considered next time work was available. The current system can be abused but it is good for people who are not available all the time and for employers who do not have regular work at set hours. Those criticising the system should suggest a sensible alternative.