Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by GB72 »

CrumbieGrumbler wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:54 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:28 am Squad wise I feel we need to fine tune it with the cap increase (if we can afford it)
Loosehead - Either need a better starter than Cronin or a better back up than Van Wyk. Whitcombe should be viewed as out main bench option though he's got a really good mix of abilities.
Starter options - Sutherland and Fischetti are both on 1 year deals, and there is a rumour of Genge.
Backup options - Goodrick-Clarke, or someone
Youngster option - I like Phil Brantingham at Falcons

Tighthead - Really happy with Hurd's growth he can push Heyes now I feel, Question is how long Cole can be seen as a starter. Prob has one more season after this as a starter. Richardson isn't the answer as depth option guess once fit see how Hoyt does.

Lock - Carter on a short term deal not sure I would keep him or not, depends how our lineout develops. Henderson will be chased by the SRU which is a worry. Unpopular opinion but feel Wells isn't quite what he once was. One of Carter or Wells could move on and we should start to be looking at some of the younger lads to come in.

Back Row - Must keep Wiese. Rogerson is a good Hanro back up, work horses that would allow a 7 to jackal and a 8 to carry.
I like
6. Liebenberg, Rogerson, Carnduff
7. Reffell, Ilione,
8. Wiese, Hatherall,
All round: Cracknell
As options though and we have more youngster coming up.

Scrum half - Keep Youngs and JVP. I feel Powell and Whiteley aren't good enough even as 3rd choice but IDK if it's the system or not. If Edwards and Allen can develop this season and with Youngs retiring I would be happy with
JVP, Youngs, Edwards, Allen

Fly half - Interesting one Pollard world class. Shillcock is an excellent back up BUT is also potentially the main back up 15 next season. Atkinson looks shot of confidence prob would be better for him to move honestly, Wilkinson is he a prem level 10? Meredith can he step up?

Centre - Another issue. Kelly and Porter form since rejected by England looks bad. Kata proving to be a very powerful looking 12, Scott is my first choice 13 fingers crossed he can stay fit. Woodward looks really promising at 12 as does Cusick at 13. Cokanasiga looks like he isn't good enough or needs a change of environment.

Wing - Happy with our options but we need more depth with speed especially if Kata is playing centre. Is Porter a better winger than centre?

Full back - Linked with what we do at 10, need Brown or a option like brown to allow Shillcock at 10.

So currently I would be looking at
OUT
Van Wyk
Richardson
Carter/Wells
Rogerson (?)
Atkinson (?)
Wilkinson (?)
Cokanasiga
Brown

IN
Loosehead (Starter or Back up option)
Feel a genuine lock/Back rower might be a good one. Similar to Van Rhyn at Sale mould
Centre/Winger
Fly Half/Fullback

Promoted/Used more youngsters
Hoyt, Ilione, Carnduff, Lewis Chessum, Edwards, Allen, Meredith, Woodward, Cusick,

That's currently my thoughts on the squad ATM

There's a rumour we may be trying to get Genge back?! That would certainly be a welcome rumour if so. Or have I misinterpreted your post
I may be wrong, apologies if so, but think there are rumours that the move to Bristol is not going well on and off the pitch and that Genge is seen a lot at his gym in Leicester. Not sure there is anything more than that, rumours and speculation.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... eason.html

YBY who knows a thing or two about coaches likes the look of the new coaching regime and says we should give him time
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:30 pm https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... eason.html

YBY who knows a thing or two about coaches likes the look of the new coaching regime and says we should give him time
He was keen on MOC.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:30 pm https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... eason.html

I agree. Some people have got short memories - it took SB a season and preseason to build the team in the way he wanted. In contrast the new coaching team have only had most of his key players for 2 weeks!

If there is any villain, it’s the RFU and PRU who have had how many decades to create a fair playing field post World Cup. A fair Prem competition isn’t just about salary caps.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:10 pm

I agree. Some people have got short memories - it took SB a season and preseason to build the team in the way he wanted. In contrast the new coaching team have only had most of his key players for 2 weeks!
I agree with the overriding point there that McKellar absolutely warrants more time with the full squad.

I think a key consideration in wanting success faster with this change in coaching is the strength of the squad though. When Borthwick took over the squad was just starting to improve from McGinity's work but the pieces were only starting to fall together, young players were far less experienced and the same depth wasn't there. This is a very good squad though, a lot of those quality players are settled here.

McKellar hasn't had full access to the squad yet of course. But the sides we've lost to have had absentees too.

The defence in particular is a huge concern so far. The ease with which we've lost all alignment after the opposition get a single carry over the gain line is startling. A lot of the tackling has been weak too.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Anyone know who our current defence coach is if we have one? Thanks
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

ABClub wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:19 am
aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:10 pm

I agree with the overriding point there that McKellar absolutely warrants more time with the full squad.

I think a key consideration in wanting success faster with this change in coaching is the strength of the squad though. When Borthwick took over the squad was just starting to improve from McGinity's work but the pieces were only starting to fall together, young players were far less experienced and the same depth wasn't there. This is a very good squad though, a lot of those quality players are settled here.

McKellar hasn't had full access to the squad yet of course. But the sides we've lost to have had absentees too.

The defence in particular is a huge concern so far. The ease with which we've lost all alignment after the opposition get a single carry over the gain line is startling. A lot of the tackling has been weak too.
'It’s a very Australian approach.’ does this mean we get Eddie at WR? :smt043
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sapajo wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:52 am Anyone know who our current defence coach is if we have one? Thanks
Matt Everard - defence

Alan Dickens - attack

Rumours that we're looking to replace Dickens, and he hasn't been spotted for a while. It may be (and I stress may as I don’t know) that Everard is currently covering both as he has done both an attack and defence coach role previously
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:10 pm I agree. Some people have got short memories - it took SB a season and preseason to build the team in the way he wanted. In contrast the new coaching team have only had most of his key players for 2 weeks!
Given the key players missing, I wouldn't expect us to be top of the table. My concern is more about how we've played with the guys who have been around since pre-season. It's not that we've lost. It's that, frankly, we've played very badly.

I suppose I was hoping that we might be seeing the start of something exciting that the internationals would make great.

Having said that, Bath looked very ordinary in Johann van Graan's early days and he now looks to have turned them around.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:00 pm
aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:10 pm I agree. Some people have got short memories - it took SB a season and preseason to build the team in the way he wanted. In contrast the new coaching team have only had most of his key players for 2 weeks!
Given the key players missing, I wouldn't expect us to be top of the table. My concern is more about how we've played with the guys who have been around since pre-season. It's not that we've lost. It's that, frankly, we've played very badly.

I suppose I was hoping that we might be seeing the start of something exciting that the internationals would make great.

Having said that, Bath looked very ordinary in Johann van Graan's early days and he now looks to have turned them around.
I agree with this. We all knew that it was going to be a difficult start to the season with the players missing.

That being said, I was still expecting us to perform better than we’ve been playing recently. I really wanted us to turn a corner against Quins and bag the win. I’ve faith in the coaching setup in the long term and think we’ve definitely seen positive changes in the way we play.

The days of us being mid-table six nations time and MJ and crew would rock back and we’d win every game are long gone. The league is much more competitive, especially with the talent of three clubs gone under spread across the remaining teams.

I think the frustration is added to by two big factors. Firstly, the fact the rugby season starts when the WC is still playing. Given there are less teams in the league this season, there is less of a chance to make up the points deficit. Talking to friends who’s rugby isn’t their first choice sport, they think it’s mad that the clubs don’t have access to their best players all season, like football. They think the league is shooting themselves in the foot.

Secondly, the coaching setup has been all over the place since GM. Fans want some consistency, not a different manager every season. I know it’s not the clubs fault necessarily that SB then Wigglesworth left. But doesn’t mean fans can’t be annoyed.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:33 pm
CrumblingTerrace wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:00 pm
[/quote

Secondly, the coaching setup has been all over the place since GM. Fans want some consistency, not a different manager every season. I know it’s not the clubs fault necessarily that SB then Wigglesworth left. But doesn’t mean fans can’t be annoyed.
Agree with this stability is what our club so badly needs and so we need to put an end to this coaching revolving door and player churn. As a supporter I do not like it so I hate to think what it is like for the players.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Just a thought regarding our new coaching team and giving them more time.
I'm drawn to our financial position published earlier, we are making losses, our gates are not good, only 20,000 for Quins game, that being best so far this season. We keep losing, how long will supporters keep us financially sound if we keep losing, before walking away and not attending? We must start winning very soon!
I think the board are worried, I perceive cost cutting proceadures are in place. Ummm makes you wonder!
Only my opinion of course.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

LE18 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:35 pm Just a thought regarding our new coaching team and giving them more time.
I'm drawn to our financial position published earlier, we are making losses, our gates are not good, only 20,000 for Quins game, that being best so far this season. We keep losing, how long will supporters keep us financially sound if we keep losing, before walking away and not attending? We must start winning very soon!
I think the board are worried, I perceive cost cutting proceadures are in place. Ummm makes you wonder!
Begs the ? as to how some of the other, less well supported clubs, are managing to stay afloat.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

LE18 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:35 pm Just a thought regarding our new coaching team and giving them more time.
We have only had 2 home games this season.

Only one wasn't during the World Cup.

Not saying there isn't a trend down but I'd at least give it a few weeks to settle
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Last season we averaged 22K per game. Let’s see at the end of the season when we have a full strength side how this compares before we start jumping to conclusions.
A2O