Tigers v Quins (H) - Premiership - Saturday 11th November 2023 KO: 15:05

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Quins (H) - Premiership - Saturday 11th November 2023 KO: 15:05

Post by sapajo »

On the Radio Leicester post match interview yesterday Mckellar said that he told the players at half time they are close to clicking and things will turn around. He did not say when though
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

sapajo wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:06 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:07 pm Early days yet, our tempo is up a bit, Youngs passing off the rucks is quicker and we are not yet gelling, first game for some players, a bit rusty so not in the "sack 'em all " stage yet.
I thought Youngs was slow and inaccurate passing off the rucks.
I agree (although the Mrs will kill me) - that said, I don't think our ball presentation is always the cleanest and it's not always that straight forward for the SH, whomever it is, to whip it away quickly.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

sapajo wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:59 pm On the Radio Leicester post match interview yesterday Mckellar said that he told the players at half time they are close to clicking and things will turn around. He did not say when though
I really hope so and soon.
At the beginning of the season I had great hopes with the signings we had made. After disussing everything with my mates I think I have possibly been too optimistic too soon? I am reminded of all players that have been away, new coaching etc, and that things will improve. Are my mates right?
I am concerned regarding our basic skills, speed of play, still kicking too much especially, and I am now doubting the signings we made, ex Wasps, Worcs, Irish, maybe others from Newcastle and Saints in the past.
Did we have to compete to get their signatures or were they just not wanted by the remaining clubs, those having signed the cream and we being left with the others. (except Shillcock)?
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:42 pm
sapajo wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:06 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:07 pm Early days yet, our tempo is up a bit, Youngs passing off the rucks is quicker and we are not yet gelling, first game for some players, a bit rusty so not in the "sack 'em all " stage yet.
I thought Youngs was slow and inaccurate passing off the rucks.
There were some Barnes Wallis jobs yesterday.
:smt003
True, Dai, but as someone else posted the ball was often not cleanly available, a failing to really manage the (what passes for) rucks. I think the ineptitude of their full back helped us and curious that two very competent kickers both missed. What were the conditions at the ground like? They looked pretty good on the idiot's window.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I feel Borthwick built a team on grit.
He didn't build anything else

Since we lost Genge we didn't look as powerful last season in the forwards, I mean our maul last season we so much weaker compared to the previous season (Missing Green).
Since we lost Moroni (100%) blame on Borthwick by the sounds of it we have lost that defensive edge in the backs

Cronin is very good solid starter loosehead but isn't prime Genge (Who is tbh)
and we never replaced Moroni.

I still feel that if Wigglesworth hadn't gotten head coach half way through we would've finished outside top 4 last season.

McKeller I do feel is asking a lot more of our attack than before, and I think Borthwick's regime has stifled their ability somewhat we just don't look like we have confidence to play outside a system in the prem.

I guess there are 2 questions to ask
1) How long will it take for them to be able to play more freely?
2) Can some of these players even play outside a system setting?

Is McKeller the man IDK, he needs to start learning from his selection mistakes though.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:22 pm I feel Borthwick built a team on grit.
He didn't build anything else

Since we lost Genge we didn't look as powerful last season in the forwards, I mean our maul last season we so much weaker compared to the previous season (Missing Green).
Since we lost Moroni (100%) blame on Borthwick by the sounds of it we have lost that defensive edge in the backs

Cronin is very good solid starter loosehead but isn't prime Genge (Who is tbh)
and we never replaced Moroni.

I still feel that if Wigglesworth hadn't gotten head coach half way through we would've finished outside top 4 last season.

McKeller I do feel is asking a lot more of our attack than before, and I think Borthwick's regime has stifled their ability somewhat we just don't look like we have confidence to play outside a system in the prem.

I guess there are 2 questions to ask
1) How long will it take for them to be able to play more freely?
2) Can some of these players even play outside a system setting?

Is McKeller the man IDK, he needs to start learning from his selection mistakes though.
Agree with pretty much everything said here.

Much harder to mark up in defence when our pack had two carriers in Genge and Wiese. Now it’s just Wiese on his own and no one else is stepping up in the carrying department which makes it much harder.

Moroni wanted to stay and an absolute joke that we let him go. Although I have got some hope for Kata / Kelly partnership if given the time needed to bed in. Kelly has the ability to lead the defence. Think we also miss Potter who was also a great defender at 14.

Don’t think it helps either that for whatever reason Kelly and Porter have gone off the boil massively at the same time.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Our maul try away at Bath was stonking, we just didn't replicate it yesterday.

Henderson was good in the line out but perhaps underpowered in the loose, perhaps needs to play with a grunt lock like Wells or Martin than Chessum who is the better all rounder but not able to support/balance out a beanpole type lock in a forward dominated game where the breakdown is more to the forefront?

I think we should have played our fit world cup players last week and got them up to speed with the team plays in a game we were unlikely to win so they were ready for yesterday when we should have won.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

mol2 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:53 pm Our maul try away at Bath was stonking, we just didn't replicate it yesterday.

Henderson was good in the line out but perhaps underpowered in the loose, perhaps needs to play with a grunt lock like Wells or Martin than Chessum who is the better all rounder but not able to support/balance out a beanpole type lock in a forward dominated game where the breakdown is more to the forefront?

I think we should have played our fit world cup players last week and got them up to speed with the team plays in a game we were unlikely to win so they were ready for yesterday when we should have won.
Dont be silly we never play our internationals first week back and never have. It's just another part of our clandestine deal with the RFU after they bought us off :smt002
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

LE18 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:36 pm
sapajo wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:59 pm On the Radio Leicester post match interview yesterday Mckellar said that he told the players at half time they are close to clicking and things will turn around. He did not say when though
I really hope so and soon.
At the beginning of the season I had great hopes with the signings we had made. After disussing everything with my mates I think I have possibly been too optimistic too soon? I am reminded of all players that have been away, new coaching etc, and that things will improve. Are my mates right?
I am concerned regarding our basic skills, speed of play, still kicking too much especially, and I am now doubting the signings we made, ex Wasps, Worcs, Irish, maybe others from Newcastle and Saints in the past.
Did we have to compete to get their signatures or were they just not wanted by the remaining clubs, those having signed the cream and we being left with the others. (except Shillcock)?
I share your concerns over the quality of our new signings. Strikes me we took a low risk financial decision to delve into the bargain basement of unsigned club less players. I fear that the new forwards we signed possibly save Hatherall, have their best days long behind them. Shillcock has showed his class and Kata still looks decent. Cronin and Watson do not represent good value due to their lack of playing time due to injury.
Last edited by sapajo on Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Probably talking about next season!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:26 pm
I guess he may have been given a free hit this season just hope that is not the case.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sapajo wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:32 pm
I guess he may have been given a free hit this season just hope that is not the case.
Tbh,at the moment I’m hoping Oz come in for him and he changes his mind!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Ian Cant wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:06 pm It wasn’t just the backs who dropped the ball but the forwards too just didn’t look after the ball.
Next week will be another chance to put things right in defence, the line out and to vastly improve our concentration levels!
Being at Welford Road I thought Steward, Basset, Kata, Hanro,and Pollard were very good, Brown was good but Henderson, Cole, Chessum, and the rest just didn’t seem anywhere near top form.
Missed Reffel, Montoya, Heyes, OHC, Shilcock, Wells and Hatherall: I honestly believe if just 2 of those had been fit we’d have won.
Fair play to Quins as they took their chances well and finally, the ref was the worst I’ve seen for both sides but wasn’t helped by two inept touch judges.
Agree too that Smith was lucky that Hanro scored.
I think I’m beginning to look forward to cheering the lads on v Saints!
Totally agree Ian
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:38 pm

But in reality who would we get to replace him?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:26 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:38 pm

But in reality who would we get to replace him?
The dugout would probably do a better job at present :smt005