TMO reviews and Dallaglio

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

TMO reviews and Dallaglio

Post by Old Hob »

Dallaglio argues in the Telegraph for a change in TMO rulings as they are "Paralysis by analysis".

More interestingly (hilariously?) he argues for stricter financial controls. The man has little self-awareness and his irony detector must have been lost at the bottom of a ruck somewhere.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/other/l ... 001c&ei=71
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: TMO reviews and Dallaglio

Post by LE18 »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:50 pm Dallaglio argues in the Telegraph for a change in TMO rulings as they are "Paralysis by analysis".

More interestingly (hilariously?) he argues for stricter financial controls. The man has little self-awareness and his irony detector must have been lost at the bottom of a ruck somewhere.

He also argues for more interviews etc during play, thats the last new/old fans want to see, I didnt like the article at all, I say get rid of Dayglo.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I am a fan of the TMO. Like much refereeing there needs more consistent applications of the laws.

Parallel virtual lines for forward passes.

The review of yellows for foul play saves time. Delaying the game to decide if it is red or yellow is nor required if the TV official can take a few minutes whilst the game continues continues.

If the ref wants a try checking, again take the conversion in the mean time whilst the decision is checked, saving at least a minute or two of deliberation time.

Given that in the Premiership the touch judges are qualified refs, they too should police the offside line and scrum offences on the opposite side to the ref. It shouldn’t be down to the referee’s view as to whether or not he wants them to. Final decision with the ref but too many times the defending side gats away lining up offside and able to tackle players before they get up to speed.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

mol2 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:39 am

If the ref wants a try checking, again take the conversion in the mean time whilst the decision is checked, saving at least a minute or two of deliberation time.

Once the conversion is kicked the score stands, that's the law of the game, hence some have been seen trying to take a quick conversion before the ref can have his mind changed.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

tigerburnie wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:19 pm

Once the conversion is kicked the score stands, that's the law of the game, hence some have been seen trying to take a quick conversion before the ref can have his mind changed.
This has changed this year and the try can be disallowed after the kick
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

tigerburnie wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:19 pm

The law was changed a couple of seasons ago, they now have until the kick off after.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I thought that was international matches?
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

mol2 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:09 pm I thought that was international matches?
So did I, but they seem to change the laws as often as the wind changes.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Don’t mind the TMO. What I don’t understand is why the touch judges (professional referees in their own right) play such a passive role, particularly when a clear infringement is happening in front of them.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

LE18 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:09 pm
Old Hob wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:50 pm Dallaglio argues in the Telegraph for a change in TMO rulings as they are "Paralysis by analysis".

He also argues for more interviews etc during play, thats the last new/old fans want to see, I didnt like the article at all, I say get rid of Dayglo.
If the answer is Dallagio! then you are clearly asking the wrong question! King of Arrogance and admits he hates Tigers. :smt012
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

To be scrupulously fair, I thought Dallaglio's commentary on Saturday was, at least to start with, fairly even handed. There was even some praise/ respect I felt - not a lot mind.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I suppose that he can’t drool over Wasps any more so hating Tigers is all that’s left.

I am a fan of the TMO. I have no problem with going back several phases of play to check forward passes in the run up to a try. A cute forward pass can cut out the defence and force scrambled phases of defence subsequently. So long as the review is prompt.

Perhaps, like cricket, there should be ref/TMO reviews and each captain given 2 appeals to the TMO if they think they have conceded or been denied a try as a consequence of foul play, offside, blocking or a missed forward pass.

Max 2 minutes for any decision, if not ref’s initial decision stands. Not like the 10 minute deliberation we had a the European tie last year over a grounding.

Parallel (to the try line) virtual lines to decide if forwards or not. None of the momentum, hands garbage to consider. If the ball is taken in front of the point the ball was released, it is forward. No deliberation. Seconds to bring up on screen.