Tigers v Quins (H) - Premiership - Saturday 11th November 2023 KO: 15:05

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Quins (H) - Premiership - Saturday 11th November 2023 KO: 15:05

Post by Pellsey »

Postiger2 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:02 pm I know I might get absolutely shot down for this, but something doesn't feel right with our new coaching set up. I felt as though the players gave everything without there being a clear structure to our play. Almost as though we went close despite the tactics.
IMHO it was mainly execution which was the problem, then cohesion, then aggression. All of which can be solved.

Keep the faith as a wise man once said...
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Just seen the score,another loss?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Pellsey wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:12 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:02 pm I know I might get absolutely shot down for this, but something doesn't feel right with our new coaching set up. I felt as though the players gave everything without there being a clear structure to our play. Almost as though we went close despite the tactics.
IMHO it was mainly execution which was the problem, then cohesion, then aggression. All of which can be solved.

Keep the faith as a wise man once said...
Well, the derby game next week is must win!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:17 pm Just seen the score,another loss?!
Sadly yes. We visited their 22 quite a bit, and they visited ours also quite a bit, but were less error prone
Last edited by markharbtiger on Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:19 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:17 pm Just seen the score,another loss?!
Sadly yes. We visited their 22 quite a bit, and they visited ours also quite a bit, but were less error prone.
We topped visits to 22, carries made, metres made and possession, all the stats except the important one...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
DaveRave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveRave »

Despite the open backdoor approach to defending and the whoops adropalypse in attack we could've won that, but everything seems so haphazard and lacking in structure.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

As a spectator at Welford Road for 72 years, since I was 5, this Coach / Attack/ Defence is amongst the worse I have ever seen. Its appalling.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I must admit I am beginning to regret forking out for TNT as I saw all those Tigers games being televised, only to be disappointed yet again...ah well, it's only sport :smt037
Last edited by markharbtiger on Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

DaveRave wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:27 pm Despite the open backdoor approach to defending and the whoops adropalypse in attack we could've won that, but everything seems so haphazard and lacking in structure.
All true... also without the phantom offside try by Quinns we would have won that... but you are not allowed to criticise sir on here. This incident would have not been an issue if we had done the basics right though.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:30 pm I must admit I am beginning to regret forking out for TNT as I saw all those Tigers games being televised, only to be disappointed yet again...ah well, it's only sport :smt037
Dally and his crew are appalling commentators, just oozing all over the so called Quins heros.

Tigers have the players, the talent, have a world class fly half in Pollard and a monster 8 in Wiese. But as for a game plan, basic skills we are miles behind. Was embarrassing at times today, DM is the head coach and unfortunately the handling errors and brainless decision making are on him!!
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

baz1664 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:40 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:30 pm I must admit I am beginning to regret forking out for TNT as I saw all those Tigers games being televised, only to be disappointed yet again...ah well, it's only sport :smt037
Dally and his crew are appalling commentators, just oozing all over the so called Quins heros.

Tigers have the players, the talent, have a world class fly half in Pollard and a monster 8 in Wiese. But as for a game plan, basic skills we are miles behind. Was embarrassing at times today, DM is the head coach and unfortunately the handling errors and brainless decision making are on him!!
I get the premise, but to say the handling errors and decision making are the HC's fault is a bit steep. Yes we haven't seen much this season in terms of a whole game cohesion, but in patches we've looked ok. A lot of the errors have been relatively small things and when a team is losing and the pressure is on the instinct decisions come in rather than 'the plan'.

We were missing balance today and some of that is down to availability. If you have a balanced back row, a balanced back 3 and some of the stars that are not playing I think we win that game.

A lot of ifs and buts and hindsight granted, but I think given pre-season was without a lot of the spine of the team and DMK has only had 2 weeks with his first choice players its perhaps a bit unfair to put the entire blame on him. At the end of the day, the coaches can do everything in the week, its up to the players as soon as they cross the white line onto the pitch.

Its not good right now, but by no means is it right to be rash IMO.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Looked a bit like one side that was settled, versus one that was still finding its feet.

I think we played the right game, and put ourselves in positions to take the game, but a lot of little mistakes added up against us. Very frustrating.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Erm, last time I checked Dan McKellar was sitting in the stands and wasn't on the pitch. Not sure how the handling errors can be squarely on the head coach when it's the players, who are more than capable of executing the basics, who aren't executing the basics.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Tommy was a big loss. Didn't really have a breakdown threat until Ilione came on.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:50 pm

Erm, last time I checked Dan McKellar was sitting in the stands and wasn't on the pitch. Not sure how the handling errors can be squarely on the head coach when it's the players, who are more than capable of executing the basics, who aren't executing the basics.
given that the main culprit has been doing it all season yet still got selected I think we can look at the coach